Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hows the ride with 5100 all around?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Hows the ride with 5100 all around?

Hello Guys!

looking to upgrade my suspension but keep the stock height...

Hows the ride?

If the truck interior is going to rattle when going around uneven pavement in exchange for being more "controlled" ride I might not like it... but how unconfortable will it really get?

Thanks!
JC
Old 08-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Recently I did an install with 5100s. A month and 2k miles later I still have no complaints. Ride is roughly the same… and I mean very roughly. It'll still ride like a champ but expect for the truck to feel more planted to the ground. It feels different at first but in a good way.

But know that any after market work you do will change how your truck rides. I would recommend not swapping out the stock shocks unless you're planning on leveling. I went ahead and leveled mine and swapped out my tires for KO2s, same size as stock 20in tires
Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I would agree with ChanD,

Most people are using the 5100's to change the ride height while maintaining a similar ride to factory. I replaced a typical spacer level on my truck with the 5100's and im happy with the ride, so I never had it at stock height. I also replaced the back shocks and I really think the ride is pretty much the same as it was with the OEM ones.

The 5100's are a fairly well documented on the forum, some people say the difference is worth it, some may not...either way you'll get a lot of different answers.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChanD
Recently I did an install with 5100s. A month and 2k miles later I still have no complaints. Ride is roughly the same… and I mean very roughly. It'll still ride like a champ but expect for the truck to feel more planted to the ground. It feels different at first but in a good way.

But know that any after market work you do will change how your truck rides. I would recommend not swapping out the stock shocks unless you're planning on leveling. I went ahead and leveled mine and swapped out my tires for KO2s, same size as stock 20in tires
Thanks Chan...

Not planning on leveling but I feel the ride could be better, specially in the back since my 17 bottoms out pretty easily over bumps...

But wonder how much will it really affect ride quality as in "comfortability" and do you notice irregularities in the road more?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I just have a spacer on the front with stock shocks, but did install 5100s on the rear. The rears made a huge difference! It completely resolved the issues with the rear bouncing and getting squirrely. Best way to describe it is a bit firmer, but way smoother. You feel the bump once, but only once unlike with the stock where you feel the bump and 3 bounces.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by rritch
I just have a spacer on the front with stock shocks, but did install 5100s on the rear. The rears made a huge difference! It completely resolved the issues with the rear bouncing and getting squirrely. Best way to describe it is a bit firmer, but way smoother. You feel the bump once, but only once unlike with the stock where you feel the bump and 3 bounces.
Yes I noticed that too... its like there is an "aftershock" from the rear every time the road in uneven it might be one bump but you fill it triple and the whole truck vibrates.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Yep, stock shocks on the rear were like riding around on a g*ddam pogo stick. 5100s completely settled it down.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
Not planning on leveling but I feel the ride could be better, specially in the back since my 17 bottoms out pretty easily over bumps...
Then you might consider just doing the rears. For $150 and 30 minutes of your time you get a safer truck, with better rear tire wear and a more controlled, firm, yet comfortable ride. I think it's one of the better mods you can do on these trucks.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ABolt
Then you might consider just doing the rears. For $150 and 30 minutes of your time you get a safer truck, with better rear tire wear and a more controlled, firm, yet comfortable ride. I think it's one of the better mods you can do on these trucks.
Cool so having the rears only is much better than doing it all around?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Be aware that there is a different part number for the 15-17 than the previous years. Bilstein reworked the dampening to compensate for the lighter aluminum body. Good luck finding them right now, I got the last set that Tirerack had last week and from what I hear they are on national back order until October.

Quick Reply: Hows the ride with 5100 all around?