Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I get the courtesy lights to come on when door is open

Old 04-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Default how do I get the courtesy lights to come on when door is open

Just got the new 2016 home from the dealer. How do I get the interior lights to come on when i open the door? I've tried every combination on the interior light panel and also the panel dimming switch. They come on when I'm inside the cab when I switch them on but I can't figure out how to make the lights come on when opening the door and then going out after door is closed. There is an on and off switch for the door but I can't get it to work either way. I must be missing something. When the door switch is illuminated is that on or off?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lazer
Just got the new 2016 home from the dealer. How do I get the interior lights to come on when i open the door? I've tried every combination on the interior light panel and also the panel dimming switch. They come on when I'm inside the cab when I switch them on but I can't figure out how to make the lights come on when opening the door and then going out after door is closed. There is an on and off switch for the door but I can't get it to work either way. I must be missing something. When the door switch is illuminated is that on or off?
On mine there is a button up top, all it says is off. I found out what it did the hard way too
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

You might have to go back to the dealership as I think they have it set to stealth/ police mode. Your lights should come on. The button above where you can open moonroof etc is used to stop lights from coming on and you have to hit it every time. At least that's with my Lariat.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lazer
The only thing I can think of is if you have this switch on (orange light) then it turns off the "door opening " interior lights.

how do I get the courtesy lights to come on when door is open-image-2082460463.jpg
The following users liked this post:
DNut (01-01-2022)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys. I got it. When the switch is luminated the lights won't come on. When the switch is not luminated the lights will come on.
The following users liked this post:
aquaman67 (02-18-2022)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by mayo77ca
The only thing I can think of is if you have this switch on (orange light) then it turns off the "door opening " interior lights.
don't you have to hit that every time you cycle the key.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA
Mine is a one time deal. I was playing with those buttons and left it on. I shut it back off and never had to touch it again.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA
I'm not sure what cycling the key means?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by jhopster
Mine is a one time deal. I was playing with those buttons and left it on. I shut it back off and never had to touch it again.
it was my understanding that you turn it on. Stop put in park or drive with brake on and lights stay off when door is opened. Return to vech open door and your lights come on right. If that button light is off that means the system is off. It won't come back on til you hit the button again
Originally Posted by mayo77ca
I'm not sure what cycling the key means?
if you turn the engine off the on that is a cycle of the ignition. Sorry should have been more clear on that. I'm going out now to test this.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Default how do I get the courtesy lights to come on when door is open

Nope I have mine set to off, Illuminated orange. No matter how many times I get in and out, start and turn off the truck, lights always stay off.

Last edited by anthony2558; 04-02-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do I get the courtesy lights to come on when door is open