Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to assist driving into tight garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How to assist driving into tight garage?

Hi Gents,

I used to drive SUV and Cars. This is my first truck and my garage space is tight and I have to drive into the right side of my garage as left side is used for my wife's middle size SUV. The head of the truck is high so I feel hard to judge if there is space between right edge of the truck head and right edge of my garage. sometimes I have to come down to see before continuing to drive in. I know as I practice more, it will be easier later on.

But I am wondering if there is anything I can use to assist like mirror something? Do you guys have this kind of experience as I do?

Thanks for sharing your experience and idea. I appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by roudan
Hi Gents,

I used to drive SUV and Cars. This is my first truck and my garage space is tight and I have to drive into the right side of my garage as left side is used for my wife's middle size SUV. The head of the truck is high so I feel hard to judge if there is space between right edge of the truck head and right edge of my garage. sometimes I have to come down to see before continuing to drive in. I know as I practice more, it will be easier later on.

But I am wondering if there is anything I can use to assist like mirror something? Do you guys have this kind of experience as I do?

Thanks for sharing your experience and idea. I appreciate it.
back into the garage if you can
The following users liked this post:
roudan (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
This is a good one. why I never thought about it? we have backup camera which work. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
Yup, this.
roudan (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by roudan
This is a good one. why I never thought about it? we have backup camera which work. Thanks.
no problem. i know all about judging distance with the front end of these trucks,
roudan (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I've seen but never used parking aids. Some are store bought others are as simple as hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling and when it hits your windshield, you know to stop.
roudan (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
I've seen but never used parking aids. Some are store bought others are as simple as hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling and when it hits your windshield, you know to stop.
My dad does this, I think for my mother they also put blocks by the front wheels so she can drive up to those and it 'stops' her before she would hit the deep freeze lol
roudan (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeman1
Thanks, I watched that tennis ball stuff, but I think tennis ball will not work since before your windshield hit the ball, the head of truck already hit the garage edge first.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan_2020
My dad does this, I think for my mother they also put blocks by the front wheels so she can drive up to those and it 'stops' her before she would hit the deep freeze lol
Thanks Ryan. That was for the situation the truck already inside the garage but just prevent it from going too much forward to hit something. My case was for entering garage without hitting the edge. sorry my English might confuse you.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a tennis ball hanging from my roof. I can tell you from experience that when I pull in, I line my radar detector up with the ball until the ball hits. Done. Golden. Then backing out, I've got my side mirrors. Not super technical but it was quick and easy. Most of all, saved me some money for more mods!!!!
roudan (12-13-2018)

Quick Reply: How to assist driving into tight garage?