Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink working intermittently?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Homelink working intermittently?

So I have had issues with my Homelink not opening the door and this only happens at night. During the day, I can literally open it from the street about 40' away. This has perplexed me for a year or so. I mean it flat will not open the door no matter how close I get, driver door open, visor tilted, rubbing my stomach and patting my head, nada. I have 2 doors, and I can open the second door, get out of the truck, walk in the garage, and hit the button on the wall to get my truck in.
So, what the heck. What I FINALLY figured out is that my LED landscape lights are creating interference and rendering the opener inoperable. Last night, I had the issue, I went in through the front door to keep everything consistent, I unplugged my transformer, and went back out. The opener functioned perfectly. I repeated this a couple times just to make sure.

If any of you are having what is perceived as intermittent remote issues, you might want to check and see if you have any LED lights present. I did a little research and LED lights function by rapid flashing pulses of lights. Apparently this sends off a frequency that can interfere. As a side note, I have LED light bulbs in my garage interior lights that do not create any interference. It might take some trial and error to determine the source of interference, but for me it was worth the effort. Now I will experiment to see if there is one specific light (nearest the garage for example) that is creating the issue. If so, I will switch that back to halogen and we will be good to go.

Hopefully this will help someone that has an issue like mine.

Have a great weekend.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Posted a few times - LED bulbs in the garage mostly. The cheaper, the more interference.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a very similar problem at home, with a 5yr old Genie opener and multiple HomeLink vehicles. Suddenly, with no changes, very sporadic response. I went through the warranty dance with Genie, and they sent me a new control board. Which if you haven't seen is basically everything except the outer hardware, the belt/chain section, and the door sensors. In other words, it replaces everything that would resolve this type of issue. It didn't help.

So for my next call to them, they literally asked me if I lived within 5 miles of an airport, which I do, and they said that could be the issue. I thought that was crazy since I live near a city with a 100K people in the same area. They recommended the below, and I thought they were nuts until I read the reviews on Amazon with tons of others having the same problem, and gave it a shot. It works now 100% of the time, far better than it ever did, with a much longer range. Annoying I had to purchase and install it, but it solved the problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYV05S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYV05S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note I also have LED's in my garage, but even unplugged my issue persisted. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Homelink working intermittently?