Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Driving with tow mirrors Folded.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Highway Driving with tow mirrors Folded.

Accidentally ended up on the highway with my mirrors folded. Corrected this but then this gave me an idea. Could I get better MPG and remain relatively safe. I'm already an attentive driver and I have the BLIS so thought I'd give it a try. I've made two trips now of approximately 800km each. First trip I went 122 km/h got 15.1 l/100km. 2nd trip was 110km/hr. Got 13.3 l/100km. I'm not sure if this is helping but I do feel it must be. I'm thinking of sticking on a small round convex mirror on the Sid some I don't have a small blind spot. Anyone doing this?? BTW not interested in hearing about safety and law breaking talk.
Am wondering how this might be effecting the motors in the mirrors as I sometimes moved the mirrors out while traveling 100+ km/hr.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

There was testing done on just that by some magazine or another. You're completely right, these jumbo ears do eat extra fuel.
I see the appeal, but i'm not sure i would condone driving with folded mirrors down the highway... why would you care what i think though!
Old 03-13-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Not legal to drive on the highway without rear view mirrors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trailbreak74:
BCMIF150 (03-14-2016), Ricktwuhk (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Found On Road Dominating

I do have mirrors and did you read my post WRT the law lol. That's Y I said I'm going to stick a mall puck mirror on the outer edge of the mirror. When mirror is folded I'll see everything behind me as I always do
Old 03-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by ecopat
There was testing done on just that by some magazine or another. You're completely right, these jumbo ears do eat extra fuel. I see the appeal, but i'm not sure i would condone driving with folded mirrors down the highway... why would you care what i think though!
wasn't aware. Would be an interesting read. Yeah. Don't have the mirrors folded in congested or single lane traffic. Do you know how the mirror operate. I'm assuming sprocket type gear.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
Not legal to drive on the highway without rear view mirrors.
Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA
I do have mirrors and did you read my post WRT the law lol. That's Y I said I'm going to stick a mall puck mirror on the outer edge of the mirror. When mirror is folded I'll see everything behind me as I always do
On this forum... People jump to conclusions and form their own opinions after reading 2 lines. = ADD

I'd bet it won't be the last such reply.

OP, if that is what works for you and you do some more testing I'd be interesting in hearing the results.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by idrive
On this forum... People jump to conclusions and form their own opinions after reading 2 lines. = ADD I'd bet it won't be the last such reply. OP, if that is what works for you and you do some more testing I'd be interesting in hearing the results. .
will do. Seem promising so far given this highway has many hills. I passed may transports. The BLIS light turns on and off perfectly and the light is easy to see as its facing into the cab.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_The_PA
wasn't aware. Would be an interesting read. Yeah. Don't have the mirrors folded in congested or single lane traffic. Do you know how the mirror operate. I'm assuming sprocket type gear.
No idea how the mirrors work, but they're designed to fold, so i dont think you'll hurt anything. I'll be back on my laptop tomorrow, i'll see if i can find it again if you dont find any article before that!

PS: didnt think BLIS would still work though...
Old 03-13-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat
No idea how the mirrors work, but they're designed to fold, so i dont think you'll hurt anything. I'll be back on my laptop tomorrow, i'll see if i can find it again if you dont find any article before that!

PS: didnt think BLIS would still work though...
Folding the mirrors doesn't move the taillights/BLIS or turn it off. I'm glad my salesman talked me out of getting the big mirrors.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by Livoniabob
Folding the mirrors doesn't move the taillights/BLIS or turn it off. I'm glad my salesman talked me out of getting the big mirrors.
yeah it's a double edged sword. Need for towing though. I'm sure the puck sized mirrors will be more then enough. I'm sure Ford will eventually make a hybrid mirror similar to what I'm doing.

Quick Reply: Highway Driving with tow mirrors Folded.