Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher Output Power Inverter Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Higher Output Power Inverter Swap...

I find the power inverter on my Lariat to be marginal at best. Has anyone swapped out theirs for a higher output unit? If so, did you get it to fit in the same location (under the passenger side rear seat) even though it may be wider? Did you have to upgrade the size of the fuse and/or the power feed cable to the new unit? Did you have to upgrade the cable size that feeds the outlets from the inverter? What brand? Size? Pictures? Results?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Be careful. Go too large and you will dramatically reduce the life of your alternator

From high school physics; Watts = Volts x Amps, or Amps = Watts/Volts

Ford's inverter system is 400 watts or 33 amps @ 12 volts.

Don't know the alternator's output, but the consumption may be close to or exceed output. If exceeded (or close to) the alternator will be flat out just to keep up. They are not designed for that load and may fail early - and it's never in your drive way.

Many folks with kids have found that out. Buy an inverter so the kids can operate their lap tops, games, etc., oh, and the wife wants a 12 volt blanket to keep her feet/legs warm, and in the middle of vacation the light comes on. $300 later.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimja
Be careful. Go too large and you will dramatically reduce the life of your alternator

From high school physics; Watts = Volts x Amps, or Amps = Watts/Volts

Ford's inverter system is 400 watts or 33 amps @ 12 volts.

Don't know the alternator's output, but the consumption may be close to or exceed output. If exceeded (or close to) the alternator will be flat out just to keep up. They are not designed for that load and may fail early - and it's never in your drive way.

Many folks with kids have found that out. Buy an inverter so the kids can operate their lap tops, games, etc., oh, and the wife wants a 12 volt blanket to keep her feet/legs warm, and in the middle of vacation the light comes on. $300 later.
Good point Jim. That brings up another question that I should've asked in my post. Did anyone upgrade their alternator too and if so to what capacity for the size of the upgraded inverter?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock alternator is 200amps, Leds probably lower load a bit at night. Start/stop on 2.7l means alternator was made to recharge sufficiently in short time periods. Id be interested in just a swap for a puresine wave inverter as the current inverter isnt compatible with even some of my cell phone rapid chargers. If someone figures out an upgrade/replacement method Id be interested
The following users liked this post:
Chris6272 (05-16-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody2006
Stock alternator is 200amps, Leds probably lower load a bit at night. Start/stop on 2.7l means alternator was made to recharge sufficiently in short time periods. Id be interested in just a swap for a puresine wave inverter as the current inverter isnt compatible with even some of my cell phone rapid chargers. If someone figures out an upgrade/replacement method Id be interested
Factory LEDs perhaps. From my understanding, many aftermarket LEDs need load simulators in the line so the trucks don't mistake the low draw for a failed bulb. These things just increase the load into standard lighting ranges.

I'd be as interested in a dual alternator setup as a higher output inverter. It's not like we're lacking in room under the hoods.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Sub'd

I like the idea of a second battery, high output alternator and higher output inverter for auxiliary power.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Higher Output Power Inverter Swap...

I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading the inverter. Or, more accurately, adding a second higher output inverter. I was considering mounting it in the bed, in a well-vented waterproof place. But that could mean over 10' of battery leads. And well, they are moderately big, expensive, and really should be short...

So I think mounting under the hood with a manual switch would be better. Just open the hood and turn it on anytime it's to be used. Then either plug an ext. cord into it, or add an outlet in the bed wired to the inverter under the hood.

What say y'all?

Also has anyone seen a high-output alternator for our new trucks? At what power would y'all think a better Alt. would be needed?

I was thinking a 1000-1500W inverter would be good. Anything bigger and I have a 4kW gas generator.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Another thing...

Would a higher output alternator get along with our Computers and the BMS???
Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Higher output alternator is just a simple device actually.... without explaining everything. I have used nothing but HO alternators from this company. Best in the business as these alts actually produce 200 amps or more of power at idle!!! Our stock 200 amp alt wont do this, especially as the temps go up. Anyway, here you go...if you have questions, call Dave, sometimes hard to get hold of but worth the time.
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/high-outp...=3.5L+Ecoboost
Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first post ever here. If someone has a wiring diagram so I can see how isolated the inverter circuit is from the rest of the system, I would like to give this a try. Also if someone know the wire gauge supplying the outlets this would help. I think the system would be much more effective with at least an 800w capacity.

I'm trying to get a full size all in one printer scanner to work so I can scan large documents while on the road.

Quick Reply: Higher Output Power Inverter Swap...