Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand Auto Headlights Off feature!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Angry Help me understand Auto Headlights Off feature!

Got back to my pickup tonight after being on the job for 14 hours and found it dead....my fob would not unlock the door, had to use the key. When I opened the door I found the light switch was turned to the "Parking lights" position; I'm thinking I accidently bumped it with my knee as I exited the truck this morning. One of the things Ford could have done better - mount that switch in a different location as my knee is always contacting that switch. The battery was completely dead. Luckily I was able to get a jump start and be on my way.

I had been under the impression that all newer vehicles - including this truck - would automatically turn off all lights after so many minutes to save the battery. Why didn't that work in this case? I've gone through my manual and there's a section about a Battery Saver feature but it only talks about turning off the interior lights. Is my understanding wrong? If the headlights or parking lights are left on, they will not automatically turn off after a few minutes, and run the battery dead??
The following users liked this post:
tomjv (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deserteagle69
I had been under the impression that all newer vehicles - including this truck - would automatically turn off all lights after so many minutes to save the battery.
My last truck, which was a 2007 Ram would automatically turn the lights off if they were left on. I haven't tested it with my F150, but I would have just assumed it would have an auto off feature like my old Ram.

Guess I should check.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The head lights only turn off by themselves when switched to the "Auto" position.

If the switch is in the park light or head light position they will stay on. There will be a chime sound when the ignition is turned off and the door is opened to remind you to turn them off.

Even though it would be nice if the battery saver feature turned them off, it does not.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just picked up my 16 XLT last Friday and I was surprised that the lights don't turn off too.The last few cars I had would do it,but my 2010 Rannger would not.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 1,223 Likes on 624 Posts

Coming up on 2 years of ownership and I'm 6' 3" and I don't see how you can hit the light switch and turn it with your knee.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Coming up on 2 years of ownership and I'm 6' 3" and I don't see how you can hit the light switch and turn it with your knee.
really short arms maybe?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Freak things just happen some times. I am 6'4" and in my previous 2015 RAM, I could switch the ignition key off while driving with my knee if I was not careful. Had to back the seat up a notch but it made my feet to pedal reach more uncomfortable for me.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

when I was installing my Morimoto fog lights the other week I had left my parking lights on and thought nothing of it because I usually use auto.

I came outside for a dart a couple hours later.. they were still on. Couldn't believe there is an auto turn off feature for the 12v power point but not for the lights.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have accidently bumped the light switch "ON" several times while in/out or doing stuff inside. Now I pay attention to it - and the chimes.
The following users liked this post:
Marklite (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Honestly, I'm glad it doesn't have an auto off feature.

I don't know how many times I've been camping with other vehicles, tried to use headlights to light something up and had to keep going back to turn them on again after they'd go off.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I much rather my vehicle do what I tell it to do then try and work around what it's telling me to do.

I just put the headlights in AUTO and as others have said, when it's beeping at you take a quick check of what you may have left on.
The following 2 users liked this post by Havyek:
MAGNJ (03-23-2017), tomjv (03-24-2017)