Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Bed Rails, 5 1/2 Bed with Bak G2 Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question HELP: Bed Rails, 5 1/2 Bed with Bak G2 Tonneau Cover

I'm wanting to add bed rails to my 18 Lariat with the 5 1/2 foot bed. Two things that are supposedly issues that shouldn't be, so looking for assist from current 5 1/2 bed owners:
1. Ford OEM Tonneau cover installed, it's the hard tri-fold which I believe is same as Bak G2. It's the in between rails cover
2. My Lariat w/5 1/2 bed does not have pop out holes near front of bed, only near rear. Called Ford Corp and they confirmed those size beds roll off factory this way.

Dealer concerns:
1. Lack of front pop-up holes.
2. A smidgen and I mean less well less than a 16th of tonneau cover seal that lays on the plastic bed rail sits right at the edge of the pop-up hole and dealer feels installing a bed rail could damage the seal.

I assume the front pop-out holes can be achieved by simply cutting through the plastic bed rail covers and with that min of seal overlap, that when closed it'll sit right at or nearly on top of the rail cap, barely.

Thanks in advance from anyone that has done this install and/or have had similar supposed issues...
Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

merics: The holes are there... just not the pop-out in the plastic... search the threads, this has been covered before, with people cutting out their own holes in the plastic.

~Prof