Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help again! Stuck rear rotor!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 PM
FNG

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Help again! Stuck rear rotor!

So I resolved my previous issue with the stuck front caliper bracket bolt, now i have a new one...

How the hell do i get the rear rotor off? I have completely disconnected the parking brake cable, sprayed a ton of PB in around the lugs and hub, but I still can't get the rotor to budge.

There are no threaded holes in the face of the rotor and the caliper bracket bolt holes aren't threaded. Any tips or tricks for this? I'd love to get the truck back on the ground ASAP since there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

If you sprayed everything with PB, take a rubber mallet or hammer and wood block and smack the edge of the rotor in a couple of places. The shear force should loosen it enough to allow for removal.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 123 Likes on 71 Posts

Take the ball part of the biggest hammer you have and hit repeatedly between each lug stud. Swing like you’re trying to hit a home run. It’ll break loose or crack apart and come loose by default at that point anyway.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:47 PM
FNG

I was able to put a 4" bolt through the caliper bracket bolt hole with a nut on the other side and crank the bolt at various point around the rotor until it broke it loose enough for me to wiggle it off.
The following users liked this post:
picaFord (08-21-2023)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by devldog131
I was able to put a 4" bolt through the caliper bracket bolt hole with a nut on the other side and crank the bolt at various point around the rotor until it broke it loose enough for me to wiggle it off.
If you plan to reuse the rotor, ^^THIS^^ is the way to go, but also peening the hub at the same time works best. You put an angle on the rotor with the bolt pressure, then the shock of the hammer on the hub should be enough to crack the seal.

I noticed yesterday when pulling mine that the rotors are pressed on the hubs a tiny bit from the factory. My Drivers hub had some rust (truck is 9 months old) that stuck the rotor, so it took some big hits to get it to pop loose. There wasn't much rust, but enough to stick it good. Passenger side had no rust but was stuck too. two smacks with a plastic dead blow had it off. When I put the new rotor on, I had to press it onto the hub and it stuck. Can't say the same for the rears.

I also tend to slather on Anti-seize in the hub where metal meets metal to prevent rust from sticking them together. Works great.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts

Last edited by A/Ox4; 05-05-2019 at 03:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by A/Ox4:
picaFord (08-21-2023), Wrenchbender (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 03:54 PM
FNG

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Didn't find this video when I was searching for a solution, but it's exactly what I did.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 PM
FNG

Originally Posted by acdii
If you plan to reuse the rotor, ^^THIS^^ is the way to go, but also peening the hub at the same time works best. You put an angle on the rotor with the bolt pressure, then the shock of the hammer on the hub should be enough to crack the seal.

I noticed yesterday when pulling mine that the rotors are pressed on the hubs a tiny bit from the factory. My Drivers hub had some rust (truck is 9 months old) that stuck the rotor, so it took some big hits to get it to pop loose. There wasn't much rust, but enough to stick it good. Passenger side had no rust but was stuck too. two smacks with a plastic dead blow had it off. When I put the new rotor on, I had to press it onto the hub and it stuck. Can't say the same for the rears.

I also tend to slather on Anti-seize in the hub where metal meets metal to prevent rust from sticking them together. Works great.
Even if you aren't going to reuse the rotors, this is the way to go. It's way less time and effort than wailing on the rotor with a dead blow for 20 minutes.

Did the other side today, skipped the hammer, sprayed with penetrating lubricant, let it sit for a smoke break, then went straight to the bolt method. Came off in seconds without even working hard.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I dunno if it makes any difference busting the rotor loose but it's always been habit to adjust the ebrake shoes all the way in first before knocking the rotor off. I usually use a combination of the bolt method and using a heavy mallet. I'll put a bolt thru till there is a good amount of pressure on the rotor and give it a few whacks, back it off and move the rotor to a new spot, then rinse and repeat till it breaks free. I've had em break free as soon as the bolt puts some pressure on the rotor the first time, and I've had em take doing the whole routine 4 or 5 times before busting loose.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by devldog131
Didn't find this video when I was searching for a solution, but it's exactly what I did.
It's an old video, sorry for the poor quality lol

Quick Reply: Help again! Stuck rear rotor!