Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with AS 1.5" spacer level install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Help with AS 1.5" spacer level install

Next weekend I will be installing an AS 1.5" spacer level. I currently have Rancho 9000XLs, but will be swapping with stock spring/strut as the Rancho's are a little to stiff for me. I've watched all the spacer install videos, and already know I may need to drop the LCA. Hopefully not since it's only a 1.5", but no worries if I have to. My only question/concern is re-installing all the bolts with the correct tightness. Is there torque specs for all of these bolts, or just tighten as much as possible? I'll be using locktite on the strut assembly itself, is there anywhere else I need to use locktite? I'm estimating 3-4 hours for myself and a buddy, does that sound reasonable? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM

bump
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Bump
Old 06-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Since nobody has helped you, I'll try and provide what little insight I may have. There should be torque specs on the instructions that ought to come with the leveling kit (and should also mention Loctite if necessary but I don't think it is). 3-4 hours is a good estimate if it is your first time. You will probably be able to do that in half the time if you had to do it again. For 4WD the installation is a little more involved as you have to deal with the cv axles and being careful not to damage the hub actuators (if 4wd you have to be very careful with the axle nut, this does require a specific torque for sure).

Here is a link to the ReadyLift leveling kit installation instructions (scroll down to the DYI section), it has torque specs for everything I believe. I know it is a different leveling kit but the process should be the same. I would read through a few times before starting! Don't forget to get your truck aligned after the install.

https://www.readylift.com/2-25-level...2015-2018.html
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tmath23
Since nobody has helped you, I'll try and provide what little insight I may have. There should be torque specs on the instructions that ought to come with the leveling kit (and should also mention Loctite if necessary but I don't think it is). 3-4 hours is a good estimate if it is your first time. You will probably be able to do that in half the time if you had to do it again. For 4WD the installation is a little more involved as you have to deal with the cv axles and being careful not to damage the hub actuators (if 4wd you have to be very careful with the axle nut, this does require a specific torque for sure).

Here is a link to the ReadyLift leveling kit installation instructions (scroll down to the DYI section), it has torque specs for everything I believe. I know it is a different leveling kit but the process should be the same. I would read through a few times before starting! Don't forget to get your truck aligned after the install.

https://www.readylift.com/2-25-level...2015-2018.html
Thanks for the response. Interesting as all of the instructions and installation videos I have seen to not require disconnecting of the CV Axles. The ReadyLift torque specs are very helpful. I've searched this site and so far have come up with some Torque numbers from 2 different posts. While different, they aren't too far off.

Specs #1:
Tie Rod Bolt- 85 LB FT
Ball joint to spindle bolt- 85 LB FT
Sway Bar End Link lower- 60 LB FT, Upper End Link bolt 50-55 LB FT
Coilover Top Plate bolts- 50 LB FT
Coilover lower mount bolts- 66 LB FT

Specs #2:
Front stabilizer bar link upper nut.
Torque: 52 lb.ft (70 Nm)

Lower ball joint nut.
Torque: 76 lb.ft (103 Nm)

Upper ball joint nut.
Torque: 46 lb.ft (63 Nm)

Tie rod end nut.
Torque: 76 lb.ft (103 Nm)

Shock absorber and spring assembly upper nuts.
Torque: 52 lb.ft (70 Nm)

Shock rod nut.
Torque: 41 lb.ft (55 Nm)

Shock absorber and spring assembly lower nuts.
Torque: 66 lb.ft (90 Nm)
Old 06-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Locktite everything back for a clean & safe job. Don't overtorque & be careful not to damage anything when removing & putting parts back. You might not need to lower the LCA (you might be able to pry down the suspension and see how much freeplay you get).

3-4h is reasonable, but could take more than that if it's your first time.

Oh and, you will probably need to rotate the whole strut 180 degrees in order to reinstall it because of the spacer's holes and bolts. Instead, you can just swap the left one to the right and the right one to the left.

Last edited by Eduskator; 06-11-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Eduskator
Locktite everything back for a clean & safe job. Don't overtorque & be careful not to damage anything when removing & putting parts back. You might not need to lower the LCA (you might be able to pry down the suspension and see how much freeplay you get).

3-4h is reasonable, but could take more than that if it's your first time.

Oh and, you will probably need to rotate the whole strut 180 degrees in order to reinstall it because of the spacer's holes and bolts. Instead, you can just swap the left one to the right and the right one to the left.
You cannot just rotate 14 and newer struts because they have 2-bolt lower mount which is angled specific way, you either rotate strut caps by 180 degrees using spring compressor to relieve tension, or swap left to right assemblies
Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eduskator
This is what I am hoping for, especially because I am only using a 1.5" spacer, but if I need to lower or loosen the LCA I am prepared for that. I am getting an alignment the next morning, so if I can't get the LCA back into the original position perfectly it will get adjusted during the alignment.

Originally Posted by s140s
You cannot just rotate 14 and newer struts because they have 2-bolt lower mount which is angled specific way, you either rotate strut caps by 180 degrees using spring compressor to relieve tension, or swap left to right assemblies
Are you sure? Yes the 2-bolt lower mount is angled a specific way, but from what I have heard and seen they are movable. As long as I angle the lower mount to get the 2 bolts into the LCA, tightening them should re-align the 2-bolt lower mounts.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:14 PM

Did a mock up today. I like the stance of the 1.5". I'll be staying with stock tires for another year or 2, then go up an inch once these tires wear out.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by redranger04g
This is what I am hoping for, especially because I am only using a 1.5" spacer, but if I need to lower or loosen the LCA I am prepared for that. I am getting an alignment the next morning, so if I can't get the LCA back into the original position perfectly it will get adjusted during the alignment.

Are you sure? Yes the 2-bolt lower mount is angled a specific way, but from what I have heard and seen they are movable. As long as I angle the lower mount to get the 2 bolts into the LCA, tightening them should re-align the 2-bolt lower mounts.
I could not move mine at all, I have a set of oem struts sitting at home, I will give them a try when I get home.

Quick Reply: Help with AS 1.5" spacer level install