Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Again....new truck now what to do to it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Hello Again....new truck now what to do to it...

It's been a while since I have posted but this forum helped me several times with my 2011 5.0 XLT. Handed it down to my soon to be 16 year old kiddo. I recently purchased a 2016 ecoboost XLT. I've been reading a lot lately and there is so much to be done...

1. Need a new bed liner. I have a bedrug in my 11. Love it but when I go get alfalfa/hay it is a nightmare to clean out. Need it clean for weekday work. Not sure about LineX yet. Maybe a bedtred... maybe LineX and a bedmat.... or maybe a drop in..??
2. Cover it...leaning toward Revolver X2...?
3. Did a 2" level kit on this one and Bilsteins on the other with rear air bag for pulling horse trailer. Love the Bilsteins just went with something diff. Level kit seems fine.
4. Tires...I have 34 LT on the 11. I like they way it looks/sits....don't like the ride. Probably just go with P rated 33" this time...?
5. Anzo headlights look awesome...switchback or not?

Anyways, great to be back in the forum and learning about my new truck from some of the best forum people.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Read the Forscan sticky thread!
The following users liked this post:
okie1fifty (11-25-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Here is my $.02.... Many will disagree I'm sure.

Tires - Stick with stock size or very close to stock size. Bigger than stock tires literally make your truck worse at everything other than extreme off road. They are heavier so worse fuel economy, worse acceleration, worse braking, worse at towing, accelerated suspension wear because of added weight. "E" rated tires may possibly feel better towing. But the "P" tires on your truck are capable of more weight than your rear axle so I wouldn't add the extra unsprung weight of the "E" rated tires or pay the price premium.

Suspension - Airbags, hell yes. Upgraded shocks, sure. Leveling kit, I wouldn't.

Bed Liner - Line X All the way. Its the best you can get. I have Line X and also a rubber mat I got for free, just to keep loose items from sliding around as easily. Ive got the Truxedo Lo Pro for a bed cover. Happy with it so far.

Your going to love towing that horse trailer with your new ecoboost. As long as you don't cut the nuts off of it with big tires and a lift kit that is.

Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Aj06bolt12r:
Incorrigible (11-24-2016), okie1fifty (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Aj06bolt12r
Here is my $.02.... Many will disagree I'm sure.

Tires - Stick with stock size or very close to stock size. Bigger than stock tires literally make your truck worse at everything other than extreme off road. They are heavier so worse fuel economy, worse acceleration, worse braking, worse at towing, accelerated suspension wear because of added weight. "E" rated tires may possibly feel better towing. But the "P" tires on your truck are capable of more weight than your rear axle so I wouldn't add the extra unsprung weight of the "E" rated tires or pay the price premium.

Suspension - Airbags, hell yes. Upgraded shocks, sure. Leveling kit, I wouldn't.

Bed Liner - Line X All the way. Its the best you can get. I have Line X and also a rubber mat I got for free, just to keep loose items from sliding around as easily. Ive got the Truxedo Lo Pro for a bed cover. Happy with it so far.

Your going to love towing that horse trailer with your new ecoboost. As long as you don't cut the nuts off of it with big tires and a lift kit that is.

Good Luck!

Agree on the tires. I think I will go with a P rated 33" tire. Weight difference is about 4 pounds as opposed to my LT rated 34 on my 11. 33's should do much nut cuttin'....ha

I am going to go by the LineX shop Monday and visit with them. I think doing that for all the weekend chores will be great and having the bedrug mat for the weekday needs will work just fine.

Going from a 2011 XLT TO A 2016 XLT feels like a Lariat to me....I know it's not though. I think Ford did a good job on the XLT!

I'm still up in the air on a cover...ugh.

LOVE the ecoboost! I got the max tow and it has the 3.55 gears...awesome!

Thanks