Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy duty payload package, does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heavy duty payload package, does it exist?

Waiting patiently for this option. Anyone actually have a truck with it? I'm talking about the bigger axle/shock package.

I was set to buy a Ram 2500 Laramie this spring and visited a Ford dealer after watching Ford's ad boasting best in class payload. The salesman built a base Lariat for me and and according to the numbers the payload was about 150 lbs less than the Ram (super cab 4x4 vs rams crew cab 4x4, both with 8' beds).
Made sense to me to buy the Ford as I only need the payload a couple times a year for my truck camper and I could reap the benefits of running a lighter truck the rest of the year.

So I waited till mid-summer when this option was supposed to be built and found out they would not take anymore 2015 orders. I was told to check back this month.

Dealer now tells me Ford won't take orders on this package till the first quarter of 2016, but he has no idea when they would build them.
I could put an order in now, but was told I should order it in 2016 because some rebates would be out on them by that time. (Then I could choose between the price at ordering and delivery time).

I asked if Ford had actually built any and he said he did not know.

Wondering if anyone actually has one of these or if I should be waiting for the 2017 250?
The following users liked this post:
Dadof2 (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My understanding after investigating all this Heavy Duty Towing Package stuff for my Platinum truck is that there are 2 optional Tow Packages: the basic Tow Package and the Max Tow Package.

I could not find out anything about my basic Tow Package in the Owners Manual, only Heavy Duty and Max, so I started to wonder if what I had was the Heavy Duty Package even though "Heavy Duty" was not listed anywhere on my widow sticker or my paperwork.

Anyway I went to the Ford Owners website and entered my VIN to get my "Vehical Summary" and sure enough there it was: Heavy Duty Tow Package. I have no idea why they do not use "Heavy Duty" when you order the Tow Package and then in the Owners Manual it, and "Max" is always listed in the charts for how much you can tow, etc...
Old 09-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

^ Tow package(s) are not the same as HD payload, 2 different things.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

There are some of the 2.7L with the HD Payload package.

None of the 3.5L HD trucks were made

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
My understanding after investigating all this Heavy Duty Towing Package stuff for my Platinum truck is that there are 2 optional Tow Packages: the basic Tow Package and the Max Tow Package.

I could not find out anything about my basic Tow Package in the Owners Manual, only Heavy Duty and Max, so I started to wonder if what I had was the Heavy Duty Package even though "Heavy Duty" was not listed anywhere on my widow sticker or my paperwork.

Anyway I went to the Ford Owners website and entered my VIN to get my "Vehical Summary" and sure enough there it was: Heavy Duty Tow Package. I have no idea why they do not use "Heavy Duty" when you order the Tow Package and then in the Owners Manual it, and "Max" is always listed in the charts for how much you can tow, etc...
Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, yes....sorry guys, was locked in on towing instead of payload.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Only one actually built 2015 Heavy Duty Payload package truck was found by members of this forum, and it was in Canada.

There is no Heavy Duty Payload Package for the 2.7. This is often confused with the "2.7L EcoBoost V6 Payload Package". It serves the purpose of bringing the payload of the 2.7 up to that that can be achieved with a regular 3.5 EcoBoost or 5.0. For example, a SuperCrew shortbed with the "2.7 EcoBoost V6 Payload Package" has a max 2160 possible payload, and a 3.5 EcoBoost without any extra options gets 2170 maximum possible. (The possible maximum payload figures are before being reduced by factory options).

Heavy Duty Payload Package is available ONLY with the 3.5 EcoBoost and the 5.0. It requires a longbed with the Supercrew, and greatly limits the available options. This can boost payload on a 3.5 EcoBoost up to a potentially maximum 2910 pounds of payload capacity. Lariat is the top trim level that the Heavy Duty Payload package is available on, and cannot be purchased with technology package, chrome package, Sony stereo, moonroof, two-tone paint, etc.

My order for a 2015 Heavy Duty Payload package was cancelled by Ford, and I have placed an order for a 2016 through my local dealer. Ford has confirmed receiving the order. Expected earliest build was late February or early March as per discussions with Ford Marketing.

Last edited by Velosprout; 09-22-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Ricktwuhk (10-27-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info Velosprout, I guess I'll wait till early next winter to check with the dealer again. Let us know if/when you get a confirmed build date.

Was going to order a caribou 4x4 as well - 5.0 litre supercab with a 8' box.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Default 2015 with Heavy Duty Payload Package found

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page for the window sticker and yellow sticker showing never exceed weight of 2799 lbs. This on Lariat 4x2 SCrew.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/n...2016-lance-650
Velosprout (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by RedLava
Scroll down about 3/4 of the page for the window sticker and yellow sticker showing never exceed weight of 2799 lbs. This on Lariat 4x2 SCrew.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/n...2016-lance-650
That's only the second Heavy Duty Payload Package 2015 that has been reported as seen in these forums, and the first in the US. I see that it was a special order. At least there is photo verification that the truck that justifies the claims for "best in class payload and towing" actually was built in 2015. Thanks for sharing this article.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:43 AM

No news yet on the Heavy Duty Payload build start date.

The Nissan Titan SD Cummins diesel is supposed to start becoming available next month. Looking at the early information on the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins diesel, it will have a higher GVWR than the F150 Heavy Duty Payload (8990 pounds for the Titan XL and only 7850 for the Ford) but a much higher curb weight (7152), so the payload on it looks like it would be 1838 maximum payload on the Titan 4x4 crew cab instead of the maximum 2650 on the Ford F150 HD Payload 4x4 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost. The new Cummins must be a heavy engine. Fuel economy figures haven't been announced yet.

A Super Duty or Ram 2500 are the other options if my truck doesn't get built this time.

Quick Reply: Heavy duty payload package, does it exist?