Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard-wiring LED Beacon

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard-wiring LED Beacon

Hi all,

I've got a fleet vehicle from work and I've been tasked with adding a beacon light to it. Since it's a fleet vehicle, I can't make any permanent changes to it, and since it's a newer Ford model, the magnetic mounts aren't an option.

As a solution, I've purchased a mounting plate that will hold onto the truck by being placed behind the third brake light (Here is the diagram for it http://www.larsonelectronics.com/ima...ing/145919.pdf).

So now that the mounting issue is resolved, I'd like to hard wire it to my truck instead of having to fish a wire through a door and constantly having to plug and unplug it and have it be in the way. Adding a switch is not an issue, I'm only worried about finding a suitable power source. Does anyone know if I can branch off of the third brake light? Or would I have to somehow get it through to a fuse box.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by adinel
Hi all,

I've got a fleet vehicle from work and I've been tasked with adding a beacon light to it. Since it's a fleet vehicle, I can't make any permanent changes to it, and since it's a newer Ford model, the magnetic mounts aren't an option.

As a solution, I've purchased a mounting plate that will hold onto the truck by being placed behind the third brake light (Here is the diagram for it http://www.larsonelectronics.com/ima...ing/145919.pdf).

So now that the mounting issue is resolved, I'd like to hard wire it to my truck instead of having to fish a wire through a door and constantly having to plug and unplug it and have it be in the way. Adding a switch is not an issue, I'm only worried about finding a suitable power source. Does anyone know if I can branch off of the third brake light? Or would I have to somehow get it through to a fuse box.

Thanks.
Um, even if you could branch off the 3rd brake light, the beacon would only come on when your brakes are on....

Fish a wire to the fuse box in the front passenger foot well, behind the kick panel. Use an add-a-fuse, assuming your beacon is LED. You can probably fish the wire into the truck inside your mounting plate.
The following users liked this post:
adinel (04-03-2017)