Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard tonneau covers

Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hard tonneau covers

I have been thinking about buying a Undercover truck bed cover. What is everyone's feelings?
I believe it it the same company that makes them for Ford.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

this is hugely based on the individual needs, but i cannot stand hard tonneau covers. they interfere with putting things in your bed and getting them out.

they look much nicer than the soft ones and the fordable ones, but it's much more difficult when it's in the way.

they have great reviews online... hopefully someone can give you more specific reviews who's owned one
Old 02-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

It all depends on what you use your truck for day to day but i would highly recommend the UC cover if youre not hauling tall things all the time. Had one on my old truck for 8 years and the only issues were the shocks needing to be replaced once on each side(super easy and cheap). The nice thing about the UC is the water proof factor and the security factor. Its also super easy to take off if need be but its a 2 person because its so big, its not heavy though. Now with all that being said i will be buying a hard folding for my new truck because im hauling bigger things lately and i also want to try something new.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This will be the fifth bed cover I've had. Two tuxedos and two hard covers. One was Jason and I believe the other was a Hep Cap.
I like the hard covers for the security, but they are a pain when moving something big.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's great having all that waterproof storage space. I trailer my bike or anything to big anyway.

Last edited by BlackBetty18; 02-05-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a hard fiberglass cover on my previous two trucks. They were great for security and protection of whatever you put in the bed. They did get in the way occasionally if you had something large you wanted to carry.

My current truck I went with an extang folding cover. Good for security and great for utility. It easily folds out of the way or can be removed in just a few minutes if you need more room. My biggest complaint is that it leaks some. So if I am traveling and put bags in the back I have to take precautions.

There are other folding brands that may not leak but I can't recommend extang for that reason.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a Snuglid fiberglass cover on my Lightning. It was painted to match, looked great, but was heavy. Anytime I took it off I had to have help and be very careful with the paint. I later had a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and went with an Undercover. It fit very well, looked good but not as nice as a painted to match. It weighed less than 40lbs and when it was off there were no worries of scratching it. My 2011 Raptor I went with and Undercover and now my 2018 Raptor also has and Undercover. Great product, rugged, light weight.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Looked @ Undercover, went with a Leer 550..

Old 02-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I know folding covers are all the rage and they are a great solution for those who need to frequently haul items taller than the bed. Not necessarily the case for me so I went with the Undercover SE in black (non-painted). Had an Undercover Classic on my previous Ranger and it was fantastic. Can support a lot of weight and the finish is durable. One of the best features I like about solid covers is that they provide decent shelter from the weather when getting stuff in/out or even when tailgating. They are also as close to 100% waterproof as you will get with a bed cover. Removal is simple and can be done by one person, but is much easier with two.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the "Ford" UnderCover on my truck and like it.
Looks-wise I like that it is flush with the tops of the bed rails and doesn't sit on top like most other folding tonneau covers. It is a bit of a pain if you want to haul something big though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard tonneau covers