Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard folding cover - Need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard folding cover - Need your input!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just picked up my 2017 F150 crew a few weeks ago (and man, what an upgrade from 2006 Titan).

I want a hard folding cover for my new truck and promise I'm not being a noob - I have literally read every thread on covers on the forum first. Not trying to beat a dead horse Some of them are years old, so wanted to get some fresh feedback and reviews. Here is the assessments I've made on the options (hopefully this helps others out too).

What I am trying to accomplish:

-Hard folding cover
-Trying to avoid gutter/drain systems (free up bed width, avoid damaging, screwing up drain tubes)
-Water tight as possible (does not appear any folding options are 100%)
-Would be nice to have access to bed without opening tailgate, but not deal breaker
-Want tailgate to drop from remote (have a Platinum)

Peragon
Pros: great customer service, paint to match, access without dropping tailgate, easy to remove and free up bed, secure with locked tailgate
Cons: can't open cover if items in front of bed, pull string may be annoying/in the way, may leak (however seams to be better than others)

Extang Solid Fold 2.0
Pros: Easiest to install and remove, secure with locked tailgate
Cons: leaks, have to drop tailgate to open

Extang Encore
Pros: Can open from front or back of bed, easy to remove to free up bed
Cons: Gutter system takes up bed width, requires drains, not as secure (possible to open with coat hanger)

Fold-A-Cover Elite G4
Pros: Can open from front or back of bed, has nice caddy option, secure
Cons: Not as easy to remove to free up bed, problems with leaking and seals breaking down after a couple of years, customer service may not be as good, pain in the a** to install

Bakflip G2
Pros: low profile, can flip up to free up bed
Cons: leaks, not secure (coat hanger), flip up toward cab could damage truck/block visibility, requires drains

Rugged Cover II
Pros: Easy on/off, seams to be most water tight based on reviews
Cons: Have to open tailgate to open cover, may not be able to drop tailgate via remote

I appreciate any feedback you provide - I'm exhausted from research and just want to pull the trigger

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 583 Likes on 444 Posts

I'm interested in this also. Considering a bed cover, but need to do research. Thanks for the pro/con list, you gave me a head start. I will watch this thread for more input.

I upgraded from a 2005 Titan to my 2015 F150. Huge difference! Although the Titan did serve me well for 10 years.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

I had a Tonnopro trifold cover on my last F150 that I liked. It has a vinyl top but aluminum panels underneath the vinyl. It sat on top of the bed rails and I could open and close the tailgate with it shut. It was fairly watertight really. On my new truck, I have a ProZ folding cover from autoanything. It's a knockoff from Bakflip's folding covers but are cheaper. My cousin has the Bakflip and we could not tell a difference between the two. But you said you didn't want inner rails and it requires to open the tailgate to have access and must shut tailgate first the close cover for it to seal correctly.
The following 3 users liked this post by bcb97:
AutoAnything (04-27-2017), carrierj (04-27-2017), JOakes302 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

what about the LoMax and the Gator Evo?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamraiderpower
what about the LoMax and the Gator Evo?
Thanks for the suggestions! The LoMax looks nice - anyone have this one? Gator looks good, but just being a bi-fold may be a pain as far as not freeing up enough bed space.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Nice write-up, you've done some homework. I currently hava a 2010 Platinum with a BakFlip. I like it, but am looking for something different for my 2018 when I get it.

Two things to mention...
- you cannot open the LoMax without dropping the tailgate, and you can't close the LoMax without closing the tailgate. It also won't allow you to drop the tailgate with the remote.
- I haven't heard or read that the Fold-a-Cover is a bitch to install. Where did you get this info. I did read somewhere that some dealers have given up on carrying the Fold-a-Cover (maybe because of poor customer service). This raises a flag for me, but I like the cover.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had the Xtang on my Tundra and currently have the BakFlip G2 on my F150. My thoughts on both...

Xtang
- Very Solid but heavy
- easy on and off
- did not like when you fold it up it still lays on the truck bed so you lose that front part of the bed (for me i'd get a scoop of mulch but i'd have to take the cover off)
- did not like the higher profile sitting on top vs inside

BakFlip
- Lighter weight construction but still very sturdy just not as heavy as the Xtang
- I like the low profile, practically seamless with the bed which i love.
- mine seem to scratch easily, could just be me not sure how others have held up
- I like that you can fold it all the way up to the truck cab to utilize the whole bed. Should also point out it has foam pads where it meets the truck cab, i've never had any scratching or marks from it being open.

I've never had any major issues with water or leaking from either, I also don't expect them to be full water proof.

If I had to pick between these two i'd go BakFlip because for me I like the flat low profile look and the ease in which if folds up.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

I know you said folding, but if a Roll Up would work, I really like my Roll X
Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Another option is to not go with a folding but instead with a hard cover. I use the Undercover hard tonneau cover (all one piece). It's not like the typical fiberglass cover that's not removable and limits your cargo hauling options. The nice feature about the undercover is that you can remove the cover in about 2 minutes and it's very light weight so it's easy to remove. It's also durable so you can literally stand on it (I've done it many times). I've been very happy with mine for 17 years and I just bought a new model that has a bunch of updates that make it even better. (I could give details if you want them) It keeps your cargo very secure and you never have to worry about leaks or other mechanical issues.

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out if you didn't know about it. "

EDIT: Wow! That sounds like an advertisement! lol!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

check out gator evo. Decent price, really easy to remove and install. Had mine for 6 months and its been awesome.