Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got trailer hitched

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Got trailer hitched

So I am driving through the car wash, actually being pushed through it, listening to a rerun of Car Talk and this happens:

There are a couple dead spots in the video as I had to cut out the parts where I was cussing.

As you can see at the beginning of the video the lady driving the vehicle in front of me is on her brakes. Like it is the first time she ever went through a car wash. I should have just stepped on my brakes and waited.

At least the car wash has video of the incident, but won't know what it shows until Monday when the manager is available.

We were able to exchange information. She claimed she is not at fault, she is claiming the car wash is at fault. "All of a sudden my steering wheel started turning right and bouncing back and forth." Her daughter in the passenger seat also claimed the same thing. Pretty much, I think, what would happen when stepping on your brakes and being pushed/pulled by the left wheel. Braking on the right and sliding on the left.

Since she is her brakes and I am not our vehicles make contact, can't really see it in the video, but I felt it ever so slightly.

Luckily for me I only have the slightest horizontal scratch on the plastic to the left of the license plate.The costly damage happened to my license plate and my $500.00 Pearl Rear Vision license plate camera frame. The license plate was pretty well dented and punctured.

The damage to her vehicle appears to be to the electrical hookup for her trailer hitch.

Last edited by remltr; 10-15-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Guess the car wash video will tell the tail. Good luck.

As a side note, why comment on her race?
The following users liked this post:
Sawdust102 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

Your video shows clearly that her brake lights are on at 2:18.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by PARIAH
Guess the car wash video will tell the tail. Good luck.

As a side note, why comment on her race?
Wasn't trying to be insensitive, but I guess it comes across that way. I removed that sentence. I was trying to convey that she didn't seem to understand the way this car wash process works.

My apologies if I offended.
Sawdust102 (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

In Canada the auto car washes I've seen have notices posted that they aren't responsible for damage to vehicles. I'm also thinking her insurance Company will say that you should have applied your brakes to avoid contact. I'm hoping I'm wrong , for your sake.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by MUFFMAN
In Canada the auto car washes I've seen have notices posted that they aren't responsible for damage to vehicles. I'm also thinking her insurance Company will say that you should have applied your brakes to avoid contact. I'm hoping I'm wrong , for your sake.
Just got off the phone with her insurance company and they are denying coverage as the video does not show her being liable.

Since my damage is lower than my deductible, I have to decide whether it is worth it to me eat it or sue her in small claims court.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by remltr
Wasn't trying to be insensitive, but I guess it comes across that way. I removed that sentence. I was trying to convey that she didn't seem to understand the way this car wash process works.

My apologies if I offended.
That is how I took your message. No different than saying first time driver causing an accident.

Super sensitive world we live in today... I think I am offended that the other poster did not know your intention (Two can play at this game )

Looks like the BBCW in Kent by Kmart and 167... I used to go there often. Good luck with the results. All I know is if you hit your brakes and the other party behind you also hit you, your likely at fault.

That said... Neither one of you should need each others insurance. IN the end one will either take blame to get it off the books as soon as possible or tell you that you are both equally at fault and responsible for your own damages.

This is minor damage and not worth the lost "No claims discounts" you may have and may not even exceed the deductible...
Old 10-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

You might be able to get something from her insurance. It is clearly marked going in that the car needs to be in neutral and keep your foot off the brake. By proceeding she agreed to the terms and rules of use for the car wash, she violated the rules and as a result caused damage to your vehicle. As far as insurance saying "you should have braked" you would have been rear ended, and reasonably you could not see through the soapy window until it was too late.
You could threaten to sue and see if that makes them pay for your damage. You'd still have the option of not suing.

Last edited by tareed94; 10-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.
BigDozer66 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by 5.0 Probie
Looks like the BBCW in Kent by Kmart and 167... I used to go there often.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

My question is, Why didn't the car wash shut itself down? The ones here stop moving if a vehicle hits the brakes and the system can't move the car.

If this does go on insurance you may want to weigh if you want it to show on record. I mean, even if not your fault it may cost you more in the long run than that $30 piece of plastic.

Last edited by Scott91370; 10-16-2017 at 11:20 PM.