Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX suspension too soft and unstable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Perauto

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FX suspension too soft and unstable?

I just bought a 15 FX4 ,supercrew,3.5 eco,loaded up. I have owned a bunch of F150s including 3 Raptors and two FX 4 optioned trucks so I never drove a 15 before ordering.
I ordered the FX4 because I like a firmer ride,the truck has 20 in Hankooks and it feels like I am drivIng a 76 Lincoln town car,my wife said it feels like a big boat.
Has anyone else felt the same? I think possibly my truck did not get the FX 4 shocks???
I crawled under the truck and wrote down the part numbers and will check them out tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perauto1
I just bought a 15 FX4 ,supercrew,3.5 eco,loaded up. I have owned a bunch of F150s including 3 Raptors and two FX 4 optioned trucks so I never drove a 15 before ordering.
I ordered the FX4 because I like a firmer ride,the truck has 20 in Hankooks and it feels like I am drivIng a 76 Lincoln town car,my wife said it feels like a big boat.
Has anyone else felt the same? I think possibly my truck did not get the FX 4 shocks???
I crawled under the truck and wrote down the part numbers and will check them out tomorrow.
Never ask for your wife's opinion. A truck is a man's livelihood and a man got to know his own gut feeling!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how you are getting a "Float" ride...I would take that over the stiffness I have. My 07 Duramax lifted road better. I hope it will break in some but so far I'm not a big fan. The wife has a short box Lariat non FX4 and its rougher then mine. Her 2010 FX4 was smoother.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

FWIW the 15s do feel a heck of a lot lighter than the 13s (because they are, doh).

that might contribute to the "light, floaty" feeling... I know even my wife commented how it "doesn't feel like a real truck" and she's the exact opposite of what you would consider a truck person...

oh, and maybe check the tire pressure too.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat
FWIW the 15s do feel a heck of a lot lighter than the 13s (because they are, doh).

that might contribute to the "light, floaty" feeling... I know even my wife commented how it "doesn't feel like a real truck" and she's the exact opposite of what you would consider a truck person...

oh, and maybe check the tire pressure too.
My fx4 came with 46 psi in each tire 18s, checked oil, tranny fluids and tire pressure as soon as I got home.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by thsmith
My fx4 came with 46 psi in each tire 18s, checked oil, tranny fluids and tire pressure as soon as I got home.
your truck must have been on the "tire fill-up assembly line" of the Super Duty's, not the F150s! that would ride like sh&t and certainly not floaty!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat
your truck must have been on the "tire fill-up assembly line" of the Super Duty's, not the F150s! that would ride like sh&t and certainly not floaty!
I could tell it was not right. At 35 psi it's perfect, get a little hop out of the rear end if I hit bump just right but I have ridden in a lot of 4x4s that do that if not loaded.

Not a big fan of the Goodyears but if the hancooks on the 20s are like the ones that came on my wife's car I am glad to have the Goodyears.

Koreans make a descent car but their tires are junk.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 256 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by thsmith
Koreans make a descent car but their tires are junk.
Those Hankook Dynapros are pretty highly rated actually.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Perauto

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by excitemef150
Never ask for your wife's opinion. A truck is a man's livelihood and a man got to know his own gut feeling!
Actually My wife and I have owned a bunch of fun cars,and our shop holds the track record at VIR in American Iron so we have been around a few years, her current car is a 14 Infinity coupe with Eibach springs and sport shocks with 20in aftermarket wheels so her opinion is different than the average mini van soccer mom..lol

The problem is two fold with the suspension.The rebound of the shocks(The movement of the shock going up ) Is to soft and it needs bigger front sway bar,the older FX4s turned like a sports car and could tackle an on ramp with the best sport sedan. This current truck is not confident inspiring on a curvy road or on ramp,and yes I know this is a truck and it is not a sports car but in the past the FX4 suspension felt better and was a great compromise between a truck and a sporty sedan /SUV.
The following users liked this post:
BStrummin (09-15-2015)

Quick Reply: FX suspension too soft and unstable?