Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse Panel Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Fuse Panel Wiring Harness

I've been having some weird electrical problems. Started looking into it today and found melted wires in the harness to the fuse box. I don't know what to do now. Could a bad abs unit melt the wiring? I'd think a fuse would pop first.

In Feb I had the fuse blow for my abs pump. On Monday I got an abs warning on the dash and that takes me to here. I assume wiring isn't covered under powertrain warranty? ****.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RX1Cobra
I've been having some weird electrical problems. Started looking into it today and found melted wires in the harness to the fuse box. I don't know what to do now. Could a bad abs unit melt the wiring? I'd think a fuse would pop first.

In Feb I had the fuse blow for my abs pump. On Monday I got an abs warning on the dash and that takes me to here. I assume wiring isn't covered under powertrain warranty? ****.
What year is your truck? Is it still under warranty? Do you have any electrical modifications? Pretty sure that’s not covered under Powertrain warranty. To find the root cause of the melted wires, you need to find out what circuit was affected. Once you do this, you have test any devices connected to the circuit to determine if any of them are bad. If so, you’ll have to replace those devices. If devices check out fine, then replacing the damaged wires or harness should fix the issue.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 AM

It's a 15 with 50k miles. Only aftermarket parts are anzo headlights and kicker hideaway sub. The module giving me trouble is abs but the wiring is burnt starting at the fuse box and is ok by the pump. I need a wiring diagram to confirm what the wire does

It's green with a tan stripe and appears to be in plug 13 where the harness enters the truck. If this isn't under warranty I plan to buy and replace the entire harness myself. Looks pretty easy actually.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a 15 with 50k miles. Only aftermarket parts are anzo headlights and kicker hideaway sub. The module giving me trouble is abs but the wiring is burnt starting at the fuse box and is ok by the pump. I need a wiring diagram to confirm what the wire does

It's green with a tan stripe and appears to be in plug 13 where the harness enters the truck. If this isn't under warranty I plan to buy and replace the entire harness myself. Looks pretty easy actually.
You would still need to identify the underlying problem that caused the wires to get hot in the first place. Or else you might end up right back where you are now with burned wires. Maybe you have an incorrect fuse (rated higher than it should be) installed. So check that all fuses match the chart in the owners manual.

If you have added fuses for accessories, make sure you have sized them correctly.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Well I took it to Ford and they found multiple burned wires under the fuse box by the battery. They didn't tell me what caused it (don't think they know) but that it just needs to be replaced to the tune of 2500 bucks. I obviously said no thanks and I'm going to pick the truck up today.

I'm fully comfortable with my ability to change the harness (its 630ish shipped) but I'm concerned that won't fix the actual issue. Do I cut my losses and trade the thing in or do I fix it and roll the dice?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Well I took it to Ford and they found multiple burned wires under the fuse box by the battery. They didn't tell me what caused it (don't think they know) but that it just needs to be replaced to the tune of 2500 bucks. I obviously said no thanks and I'm going to pick the truck up today.

I'm fully comfortable with my ability to change the harness (its 630ish shipped) but I'm concerned that won't fix the actual issue. Do I cut my losses and trade the thing in or do I fix it and roll the dice?
With your truck being so new, I would try to fix it. It sounds like you’re somewhat handy so I’d do the work myself.

First i I would make sure that your aftermarket items are hooked up correctly(to the correct power points). They are the first suspects.

Next i I would go ahead and swap the damaged harness.

Lastly, do a failure analysis on the damaged harness to trace out which wires were melted. Chances are that it’s not too many and can be traced with a wiring diagram.

From there, identify the peripherals effected by the damaged wires and check each one for damage.

Like me someone else mentioned, double check that all fuses in the main junction fuse box are all the correct amperage. For that matter, make sure all fuses inside the truck are also correct. The wrong size fuse can definitely melt wires.

You can buy the wiring diagrams for around $80 online, which is not much considering the overall price tag to fix the damage.

Good of luck on which ever option you take. I’m sure people here can help if you get stuck on anything.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM

I have the service manual so I'll for sure be using that. I usually keep my cars for a long time (I still have an 01 Cobra I bought new!) but just don't trust this one now. The harness looks pretty easy, it's all under the hood from the quick look I took and a bunch of plugs. Figuring two solid days of work.

The only aftermarket items on the truck are the Anzo headlights (I'm not putting em back on) and a kicker slim sub. That is wired using the factory plug. Neither gave me an issue and I've had both for a year. I'm still pissed so I may just be venting but I'll probably replace the harness and trade it in on a Tacoma.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:25 PM

Anyone have the step by step for replacing the harness? I have the shop manual bet its the ghetto 10 one off of ebay and is a pain to search in. Sure it would make my life a lot easier.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Quick Reply: Fuse Panel Wiring Harness