Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox 2.5 Squeak/Creak Noise, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Fox 2.5 Squeak/Creak Noise, HELP!!

Ok so I had Fox 2.5's installed in the front and Fox 2.0's installed in the rear and I am now having a squeaking issue. Based on Fox's website it says their coil-over shock is adjustable from 0-2" and I told the place I had it installed to raise the front to the full 2" to level out the truck. When I got there they had told me they raised the front shocks 2.25" I believe and they said they had to disassemble and rebuild the shocks to get them to adjust from the stock height. He said they could be raised up to 4" hypothetically but they wouldn't ride well at all.

The shocks ride great better than stock but I noticed this creaking noise at crawling speeds under 5mph when the shocks articulate up and down going over larger bumps. I narrowed it down and the noise is coming from the shocks not the upper control arm etc. I had someone else shake the truck up and down and I touched on different parts of the suspension until I found the vibration/creak. You don't necessarily hear the noise when cruising down the road but it doesn't necessarily feel like its riding like it should. I noticed a slight increase in vibration near my left foot on the floor boards.

I was a bit suspect that the shocks were raised more than what the manufacturer listed on their website but this was a custom lift kit shop that machines their own kits for folks that want lift kits for their trucks so I took their word as the expert. It is over an hour away one way so I don't want to drive all the way there if I don't have to but it looks like I have no choice. Any idea what might cause this issue? If I lowered it to say 1.75-2" of lift do you think this might resolve the squeak? See the video below for the noise. Suspension gurus please help!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Here are the CV angles as well

Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Disassembled and Rebuilt brand new shocks! Right there sounds like a problem to me. I'm sure if you read the installation instructions, disassemble and rebuild is not in there.

Perhaps someone whom has the Fox COS can offer some assistance. Good luck and enjoy your new truck!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
Disassembled and Rebuilt brand new shocks! Right there sounds like a problem to me. I'm sure if you read the installation instructions, disassemble and rebuild is not in there.

Perhaps someone whom has the Fox COS can offer some assistance. Good luck and enjoy your new truck!
It sounded odd I agree I just took their word for it as they do this day in and day out and I assumed they knew what they were doing. Based on the manual this is how to adjust it

to adjust the ride height, first lift the vehicle (refer to the InStallatIOn guIdelIneS for instructions on how to properly lift the vehicle). after properly lifted, loosen the top lock ring, and adjust the main spring retainer. Once your height is set, retighten the top lock ring against the main spring retainer.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Wis_Skier_23
to adjust the ride height, first lift the vehicle (refer to the InStallatIOn guIdelIneS for instructions on how to properly lift the vehicle). after properly lifted, loosen the top lock ring, and adjust the main spring retainer. Once your height is set, retighten the top lock ring against the main spring retainer.
That's not considered taking it apart and rebuilding them. Those instructions are how you adjust pretty much any adjustable coilover.

So did they actually take them apart or did they simply adjust the height?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Here are the CV angles as well

the noise you are hearing is the spring rubbing on the shock body.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree that the disassembled and rebuilt part sounds kinda sketchy. I'm running the same set up on my truck. You don't have to rebuild them to change the ride height. You just crank on them with the spanner wrench because fox has the coilovers tuned to run anywhere up to about that 2.5" lift without adjustment. It's possible the shop could of screwed them up when they rebuilt them or didn't set oil or nitrogen levels quite to spec. The shocks are good for 2.5 inches of lift so your current ride height should be just fine. I would call and talk to either your shop, another shop, or fox and tell them the problem. It also takes about a 1000 miles for the coil overs to break in so your ride quality will improve a lot after that.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris's FX4
That's not considered taking it apart and rebuilding them. Those instructions are how you adjust pretty much any adjustable coilover.

So did they actually take them apart or did they simply adjust the height?
They said they had to take them apart to be able to extend the shock so it rode correctly at the increased height. I read online that you should just be able to do this with a spanner wrench and it seemed odd to me. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning and email them the video. I should definitely be refunded something or reimbursed gas money at the least to fix this. I hope the valving and everything was assembled correctly
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

They said they had to take them apart to be able to extend the shock so it rode correctly at the increased height. I read online that you should just be able to do this with a spanner wrench and it seemed odd to me. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning and email them the video. I should definitely be refunded something or reimbursed gas money at the least to fix this. I hope the valving and everything was assembled correctly
The whole situation just sounds sketchy. There was no need for them to take the coilovers apart so it rode correctly. Fox already took care of that for you from the factory. lol

Originally Posted by platinum99
the noise you are hearing is the spring rubbing on the shock body.
And after looking at your second video again, it sure does look like the spring is hitting the shock body.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris's FX4
The whole situation just sounds sketchy. There was no need for them to take the coilovers apart so it rode correctly. Fox already took care of that for you from the factory. lol

And after looking at your second video again, it sure does look like the spring is hitting the shock body.
Yeah I just laid underneath the truck and felt the shock and it's right up against the spring body. Not sure how they could think that could work but that's too late now. Anyone know how I can fix this? Probably just will have to take it in have them put it back the way it first was then tell them to adjust it with a spanner. It's a shame I have to deal with all this hooplah again. I took it there out of hopes that they of all dealers would know what they were doing as lift kits and suspension is all they do.

Quick Reply: Fox 2.5 Squeak/Creak Noise, HELP!!