Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found an easy way to route a wire out of the cab.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Found an easy way to route a wire out of the cab.

I am installing a rear view camera so I need to route a cable into the cab. I have crawled under the truck several times looking for a rubber gourmet near the back of the cab but I never found one. Today I finally found an easy way to route a wire from the cab. This location should work well for a CB antenna cable. I have a 2016 super cab so I do not know if the same set up is on the regular or crew cab. I suspect it probably is similar.

Fold down the rear seat. In the back corner behind the rear seat you can squeeze your hand back in there. You will feel a rubber gourmet on the bottom corner. There is no need to remove any trim. Pull out the gourmet. I pushed a Phillips screwdriver through the gourmet then routed through the wire. I pushed the wire through the hole then crawled under the truck. Under the gourmet under the cab is a reinforcing structure on top of the frame/body mount. There are large holes in it so you can fish out the cable.

http://imgur.com/a/ZnZ2i

Found an easy way to route a wire out of the cab.-bzsc7nn.jpg
Found an easy way to route a wire out of the cab.-85bg4fg.jpg

Last edited by Volt; 04-17-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Trying to post photos
The following 6 users liked this post by Volt:
16XLT (04-17-2016), adamjt (04-27-2022), commww (04-26-2022), oldpanzer (05-24-2016), powerboatr (04-26-2022), Scott91370 (04-18-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

Which corner, driver's or passenger's side?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 PM

I only checked the passenger side.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 PM

I can't seem to get the photos to post. I made a link.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Thank you sir. Going to be installing a camera myself next weekend and you saved me some leg work.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe there are also grommets under both front seats...
Old 04-18-2016, 05:35 PM

I'm glad I found this because not finding a clean way to get a wire into the cab was holding up my project. I now might try installing the best radar detector you can get, a CB.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found a front route on the passenger side firewall also ! I ran my rear/front camera feeds through it. If looking immediately behind the engine compartment fuse/relay panel, there is a three inch diameter round grommet with a harness passing through it. About two inches to the right of it a one by one and a half inch plug is in the firewall. Using this plug as a grommet can be easy if a pair of slits are cut and pulling the wires through it first before feeding them in to the cab.. A thirty six by eighth inch wire is what I used to fish it through the thru jute felt pad into the passenger side kick fuse panel and the up to the back of the glove box to connect to the camera display harness coming down from the mirror location...... The power was picked up from the factory "camera" fuse in the engine comp. fuse panel. The same wire was used with a slight bend like a bow and arrow to fish the cable all the way to the rear of the truck inside the frame...........QUICK &EASY !
The following 2 users liked this post by Rock59:
16XLT (04-18-2016), bonedaddio (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanks, this worked well!

Originally Posted by Rock59
I found a front route on the passenger side firewall also ! I ran my rear/front camera feeds through it. If looking immediately behind the engine compartment fuse/relay panel, there is a three inch diameter round grommet with a harness passing through it. About two inches to the right of it a one by one and a half inch plug is in the firewall. Using this plug as a grommet can be easy if a pair of slits are cut and pulling the wires through it first before feeding them in to the cab.....
YEAH! Thanks, this worked well for me.

I needed to pull a Rear View Safety Camera cable (camera is on my Travel Trailer) up to the monitor, which I put in the tray on top of the dash. Sweet setup; I'm also displaying iPhone Maps on the monitor until Sync3 supports Apple CarPlay later this year... Ford tells me closer to the end of the year...).

I might add that you should pull an extra wire through when you're pulling the cable... always good to have a spare!!

I have a 2016 F150 SCREW with 3.5L Eco-Boost. LOVE IT!! Sig isn't showing up for some reason.

Last edited by bonedaddio; 05-01-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-26-2022, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thank you for saving me lots of hassle.

Thank you very much for the sharing of the location. I crawled under it many times trying to find a hole. You have saved me a lot!

Quick Reply: Found an easy way to route a wire out of the cab.