Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FordPass App and Apple

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts
Default FordPass App and Apple

Hopefully this saves a few others some frustration. In order for the FordPass app to show up on your Sync 3 truck you must first disable Apple CarPlay. With CarPlay turned on you cannot get into the trucks Apps as it bypasses it and goes straight to your phone instead. (I have 8" and Sync 3)

That being said, I have found little reason to use FordPass at all as it seems it's mostly a way to entice you to use Ford service for your vehicle.

Cheers,
Doug
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I thought the benefits of the FordPass app were when you are away from your truck. You can lock/unlock, see location, and auto start, etc.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I thought the benefits of the FordPass app were when you are away from your truck. You can lock/unlock, see location, and auto start, etc.
He's talking about while the app is connected to the truck through USB. You can launch FordPass and it will pull your odo, fuel level, any service notices.

If you don't have Sync Connect, Ford Pass won't do the remote start and that too, so some people can only use it for the above.

Ford Pass is pretty useless without Sync Connect. If you have SC, pretty much all that data is updated automatically over the cell service without needing to be connected.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm. This might help me out. I've tried numerous times to check for updates to my truck by connecting to my wireless router. It connects, but then gives the spinny thing saying, "checking for updates." It never finishes.
Supposedly, you can check for updates via the FordPass app on the 8" screen, but I've never been able to get the app to show up. I'll try disabling CarPlay and see if that works. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country until next week, so it'll have to wait a few days.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kenny008
Hmmm. This might help me out. I've tried numerous times to check for updates to my truck by connecting to my wireless router. It connects, but then gives the spinny thing saying, "checking for updates." It never finishes.
Supposedly, you can check for updates via the FordPass app on the 8" screen, but I've never been able to get the app to show up. I'll try disabling CarPlay and see if that works. Unfortunately, I'm out of the country until next week, so it'll have to wait a few days.
My truck did not come with remote start and the remove locks do not function for whatever reason. Without either of those things I find no use for the FordPass app.

As for the updates, I've already looked for updates and there are none yet for my truck. It was quick and simple it I did have to connect my truck to my home wifi. It not connects automatically and check for an update while in my garage.

Cheers,
Doug
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Understand, Doug. I have Sync Connect, so much better functionality. Just want to try using the app to check for updates instead of wifi.

Last edited by kenny008; 03-28-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Sync Connect works through the FordPass app.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Thought I did too

Originally Posted by kenny008
Understand, Doug. I have Sync Connect, so much better functionality. Just want to try using the app to check for updates instead of wifi.
I'm brand new to my truck but I thought it did have sync connect? It pairs seamlessly to my iPhone without the need to be plugged in. It DOES have to be plugged in for CarPlay to work and for FordPass to work. Maybe I don't have Sync Connect? (I'm a new and naive owner but loving it!)

Cheers,
Doug
Old 03-29-2017, 04:00 AM

Doug, I think you are talking about Bluetooth connection. That is standard for all Sync systems. Sync Connect uses cell technology to allow the FordPass app to connect to your truck from anywhere. For example, I'm in Poland right now, and I can lock, unlock, and even start my truck in Knoxville if I wish. That is the Sync Connect.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 AM

I have heard that, if I can see the FordPass app on my screen, it will allow me to update my software. That's what I will check when I get home.

Quick Reply: FordPass App and Apple