Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Telematics by Telogis

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Ford Telematics by Telogis

Curious if anyone is running Ford's telematics solution? I've read through various threads on it, but not seeing the answers that I'm hoping to see, and my dealer basically told me that we'd have to figure it out together, because he's never seen it before.

I've been looking to try it out on my truck to see if it's worth messing with for some fleet vehicles at work, and noticed that the install sheet looks very different than what Ford had on their website. Completely different images, in fact.

http://accessories.ford.com/catalog/.../category/159/

vs.

Install sheet attached below. The website seems to describe some sort of display, but the install sheet describes a module and a wiring harness that is installed under the dash.

My question is, will this work through Sync3? Or do I have to buy a standalone screen and install that as well? Ford describes Telematics as accommodating messaging, and apps, so I would imagine that it has to have some type of display. Using the Sync3 display would be the best, IMO.

Thanks in advance...
Attached Thumbnails Ford Telematics by Telogis-telematics.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Ford Telematics Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMoJoe
Curious if anyone is running Ford's telematics solution? I've read through various threads on it, but not seeing the answers that I'm hoping to see, and my dealer basically told me that we'd have to figure it out together, because he's never seen it before.

I've been looking to try it out on my truck to see if it's worth messing with for some fleet vehicles at work, and noticed that the install sheet looks very different than what Ford had on their website. Completely different images, in fact.

http://accessories.ford.com/catalog/.../category/159/

vs.

Install sheet attached below. The website seems to describe some sort of display, but the install sheet describes a module and a wiring harness that is installed under the dash.

My question is, will this work through Sync3? Or do I have to buy a standalone screen and install that as well? Ford describes Telematics as accommodating messaging, and apps, so I would imagine that it has to have some type of display. Using the Sync3 display would be the best, IMO.

Thanks in advance...
Hi SloMoJo,

I am the product manager for Ford Telematics. Ford Telematics is a licensed accessory that can be purchased through your dealer. For a 2016 F-150 the order code is 47C. The hardware is installed according to the installation guide that you captured. We recommend having the hardware installed by a Ford dealer/installer, who will have access to an installer portal (web site) to check that the Telematics hardware is installed and reporting data correctly.

Essentially, it is wired behind the OBD2 connector into the Smart Data Link port. Once it is installed correctly, you will go to activate.telogis.com/ford to activate your account and begin using the service. Everything is viewed online through a web browser, not through Sync. You can do this through a PC, a tablet or mobile phone.

Ford Telematics does not use Sync, but is wired into the CAN bus, reading an extensive set of diagnostics data. The hardware contains a GPS received and cellular modem, and transmits the location and vehicle data to a cloud-based server. When you log into your account online, you will see the location of your vehicle, location history, driver safety dashboards, maintenance diagnostics, and create a wide range of alerts and reports.

For more information on the product, visit www.telogis.com/ford.

Your Ford Dealer should be able to help you, but I understand that some may not have seen this before. They can register for the Ford Dealer Program at http://www.telogis.com/ford/dealers, and you can also call (855) 404 - 9756 for support. Telogis has a team of people dedicated to helping Ford Dealers sell and support Ford Telematics, so they should not have any problem getting you what you need.

I hope that answers most of your questions. If not, I will try to answer them for you here.

- JP
The following users liked this post:
Loon Lover (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 PM

JP,

Thanks for the reply and for the information on Ford Telematics. It's great to see the folks from Ford monitoring the forums here. I hope that we give you good and valuable feedback. I decided to purchase a telematics module to try out, knowing that someone cares.

It seems to me that the Ford Owner's App is an attempt at telematics for the consumer market, and Ford Telematics is a product for the commercial market. Are the two efforts related in any way? Or am I inferring too much there?

If you don't mind, could you share what your vision for Ford Telematics is for the future? It feels like I see hundreds of press releases and stories on engines, transmissions, and body styles, but not much on this aspect of Ford trucks. Yes, I care about that, but I really like tech as well, and has become a more and more important aspect of ordering trucks. If you could, for example, allow me to install apps on the Sync3 screen, and get Internet connectivity for those apps through the telematics cellular modem in the dash, I know that would drive some purchase decisions where I work. Yes, I'm getting away from telematics with this, but it feels like what we really need is some type of communication hub in the vehicle to handle all the different systems, including telematics.

I do IT work, and am searching for solutions for the fleet where I work, and telematics is part of the solution that we need.

Thanks again,
Joe
JP_FordTelematics (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Ford Telematics Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Joe,

Yes, we certainly do value the feedback! Taking care of everyone starts with taking care of the 'one'. Let me address your other questions and comments...

Ford Telematics is a commercial fleet licensed accessory service, not targeted for the consumer market, since it provides a broad range of capabilities that Fleet Managers look for in managing anything from 1 to 100,000+ vehicles. As you will see when you start using it, it is very comprehensive: driver safety, fleet efficiency, maintenance, etc.

Sync3 is the consumer-oriented experience, and works independently from Ford Telematics. Although, much of the underlying vehicle data is from the same source, of course.

Both services have exciting roadmaps. Ford's vision is best articulated in the following comments from Mark Fields at his Mobile Congress Address address on February 24th: Fields emphasized Ford’s plan to be a leader in connectivity, mobility, autonomous vehicles, customer experience, and data and analytics.

“As we look to the future, it is clear we are on the cusp of a revolution in mobility – from car sharing to autonomous driving to the customer experience,” he said. “Technology and innovation provide us with the opportunity to address these trends and to make people’s lives better by changing the way the world moves.”

So yes, what you see in Ford Telematics today, and coming this year, is on the cusp of Ford's 'Mobility Revolution'.

This is evolving way beyond dots on a map and vehicle diagnostics. We are fundamentally changing the way that companies do business - it's the optimization of everything. It takes telematics to its logical next step of connecting vehicles, databases, workers, and clients together to automate work flow and provide meaningful data.

If you are looking for more info off-forum, or want to share feedback, feel free to reach out to me directly. You can go to http://www.telogis.com/contact-telogis to leave your contact info, and short message asking for me (JP in Product Management), and then I can give you a call.

- JP

Originally Posted by SloMoJoe
JP,

Thanks for the reply and for the information on Ford Telematics. It's great to see the folks from Ford monitoring the forums here. I hope that we give you good and valuable feedback. I decided to purchase a telematics module to try out, knowing that someone cares.

It seems to me that the Ford Owner's App is an attempt at telematics for the consumer market, and Ford Telematics is a product for the commercial market. Are the two efforts related in any way? Or am I inferring too much there?

If you don't mind, could you share what your vision for Ford Telematics is for the future? It feels like I see hundreds of press releases and stories on engines, transmissions, and body styles, but not much on this aspect of Ford trucks. Yes, I care about that, but I really like tech as well, and has become a more and more important aspect of ordering trucks. If you could, for example, allow me to install apps on the Sync3 screen, and get Internet connectivity for those apps through the telematics cellular modem in the dash, I know that would drive some purchase decisions where I work. Yes, I'm getting away from telematics with this, but it feels like what we really need is some type of communication hub in the vehicle to handle all the different systems, including telematics.

I do IT work, and am searching for solutions for the fleet where I work, and telematics is part of the solution that we need.

Thanks again,
Joe
Loon Lover (03-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Update on Telogis...

Well, it's been a bit more than a year since I tried out Telogis, and I thought that I'd report back, in case anyone is interested.

I tried it out, both out of curiosity, and to test it out for our fleet (~500 vehicles) at work. I believe that it was ~$800 - ~$1,000 to try.

It was interesting... I logged in frequently in the first several months, but after going through the fuel pump issue https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2016-...akdown-347454/ I kind of lost interest. What good is it if it won't even give me trouble codes, you know? (Not totally Telogis fault, as my local service department took nearly a week to get a code out of my truck, but I was pretty disillusioned, as this was the whole reason I bought it and was testing it out.) But I kept keying in my mileage and maintenance, until 12 months later, I got an invoice for $39.99 for a month of service.

Well... $480 a year? Meh. Kind of nice, to have, but not worth that much to me.

I call to cancel. I get the high pressure sales pitch. I e-mailed the rep assigned to me, and said that I was informing him, in writing, that I wanted to cancel immediately. He tells me that he's sorry, but I am now in a contract for another 12 months of service, and that if I wanted to cancel, I needed to do so 2 months before the end of my current contract, or it would self-renew for another 12 months. But I was eligible to "buy out" my contract. I ask the terms. A buy-out costs a year of service.

So... I end up paying nearly $500 to "buy out" my Telogis contract, just to get out of a contract that I must cancel within a certain small window of time, or they'll re-up me for another year.

Fair warning to all, if you decide to try it. Beware the fine print.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Get with your insurance company and see if they give you a rate benefit on this.

My company has agreements with certain telematics companies for discounts for policyholders. Tracking locations, GPS, speeds, etc. is a multi-faceted benefit for many reasons.

Quick Reply: Ford Telematics by Telogis