Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford replaced long block then ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford replaced long block then ...

One of the coolant lines was not properly secured. It was making a strange noise at 2200rpm @ 80mph. I reported the issue and reproduced it with a service writer in the truck. He seemed unconcerned. I was informed that they had no loaner and it could wait a couple days. The day I had it scheduled for drop off the dealership called and said they still did not have a loaner and to wait until the following morning. So on the way home from work I exited to the service road and steam began to come out from under the hood. I looked down at the oil temp and it was 300 degrees. The replacement motor only has approximately 2000 miles.

So my question... Is this motor permanently damaged? They kept the truck all day today. No one has told me anything other than they needed to test some things. Now I'm worried I've got a brand new damaged motor.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 PM

Forgot to mention I stopped immediately and turned off the engine ....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I would have the GM of that dealership dragged across his desk by his neck tie explaining the facts of life. I would be concerned about the same thing, and would be pushing Ford to buy the truck back.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

You can't make this crap up....
Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 PM

Yeah I'm not a happy camper. It's my 2nd ecoboost F150. My first one never had one problem for 170k miles. In the last 2 months this one the sunroof jumped the track ($3500) under warranty. The motor threw a rod. Now this ...

Out of the last 3 months it's spent 5 weeks at the dealership.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:10 PM

I should have mentioned that it's a 2016 Platinum with 29k.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr
I would have the GM of that dealership dragged across his desk by his neck tie explaining the facts of life. I would be concerned about the same thing, and would be pushing Ford to buy the truck back.

Hey, its only been one day. Give them another day to sort things out. If you aren't satisfied, then ask to speak to a higher up.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zachary Samford
One of the coolant lines was not properly secured. It was making a strange noise at 2200rpm @ 80mph. I reported the issue and reproduced it with a service writer in the truck. He seemed unconcerned. I was informed that they had no loaner and it could wait a couple days. The day I had it scheduled for drop off the dealership called and said they still did not have a loaner and to wait until the following morning. So on the way home from work I exited to the service road and steam began to come out from under the hood. I looked down at the oil temp and it was 300 degrees. The replacement motor only has approximately 2000 miles.

So my question... Is this motor permanently damaged? They kept the truck all day today. No one has told me anything other than they needed to test some things. Now I'm worried I've got a brand new damaged motor.
Originally Posted by MUFFMAN
Hey, its only been one day. Give them another day to sort things out. If you aren't satisfied, then ask to speak to a higher up.
True it's only been one day. I'm more worried about the future of the motor than busting anyone's chops. I think both them an i are just a bit stunned by the sequence of events. I'd love for someone with good technical knowledge to weigh in on the technical merits of a low mileage motor getting that hot.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

30 Year Automotive technician.
It really depends on how long it was hot and the temperature of the components themselves. Just ask them to check oil pressure hot and test for a blown head gasket. Let them sort it out, you have a warranty on the engine replacement. You will get more help being nice and understanding than looking to chew somebody out.

For all of you say drag someone across the desk. Did somebody make a mistake, yes, is it their fault yes, but we all make mistakes.There is a lot to think about in replacing an engine all it takes is one distraction and you can miss a hose clamp or something. Most times you catch it, sometimes you don't. It happens.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Mistake is one thing... telling him to keep driving with a rad hose blowing off is negligence.

Quick Reply: Ford replaced long block then ...