Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Quality

Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Ford Quality

There have roughly 3,691,864 F-150's sold from 1/2015 to 4/2019, with a projected number of 4,261,098. If ford is 99% perfect on every vehicle, they would still have 42,610 problem vehicles from 2015 to April 2019, or an average of 8,522 problem vehicles per month/164 per month.
I don't know how successful Ford is. Are they at 99%? If they are even 98%, then you would have to double the numbers, and triple it if they were only 97% effective (Still an A grade I might add).

That is still a lot of good vehicles, but a lot of bad ones too. Because Ford sells so many more trucks than the other brands, it stands to reason, that even if they have higher quality, they could still have more trouble tickets.
No one will ever be perfect, but…having the same problems over and over does seem to be lazy.

Remember: “If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten.”

Is Ford doing the same thing they have always done (since 2015 anyway)? It looks like the same old Engine Rattle, Timing Chain Stretch, Cam Phasers, Frozen Door Locks, Warped Dash, 10 Speed Hard Shift, fall on your face after driving in wet weather for a long time, etc.
Okay, so Ford is having problems, I get it; but what might we ask as customers is Ford doing to fix said problems? It’s not the problems that bother me, it’s the lack of a solution, that bothers me. I currently have three F150’s, one Ford Fusion, a Lincoln MKC, and a Lexus. I have had less problems with the Lexus, which equals NONE, and it’s a 2015 with 55K miles.

I’m not bashing the Ford, I love them, but….I sure have had a lot of recalls, TSB’s right out of warranty items, etc on some of the vehicles, while other not many issues. If you get a good one, and chances are you will, your golden, if not, then we just might find you on a Forum, which is where I go when I need answers, or looking to buy a new vehicle.

I can tell you that I had friends looking to buy new, and they visited the RAM, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissian, truck forum’s and it wasn’t too pretty on any of them either. When I reminded them how many more trucks Ford sold, it was clear, they all have problems. So set back, hold on to your seat, and enjoy your truck the best you can. If you have a problem, I think Ford should do everything in their power to fix it to the quality we as customer expect. I expect the number one truck dealer to have the number one truck, period.

I’ll close with my favorite quote:

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

--EDWARD EVERETT HALE

I will do my part in helping Ford figure this quality thing out, and helping others to see what they might expect from a new Ford, and possible solutions.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Their warranty could certainly be better. Honestly 3/36 is crap.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 399 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Their warranty could certainly be better. Honestly 3/36 is crap.
Amen. VW learned that. My Passat is 6/72
Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by h2ouup2
I can tell you that I had friends looking to buy new, and they visited the RAM, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissian, truck forum’s and it wasn’t too pretty on any of them either. When I reminded them how many more trucks Ford sold, it was clear, they all have problems. So set back, hold on to your seat, and enjoy your truck the best you can. If you have a problem, I think Ford should do everything in their power to fix it to the quality we as customer expect. I expect the number one truck dealer to have the number one truck, period.
The quality is roughly the same for all of them. I know the Ford fanboys and fangirls won't like to hear that, but it's true in my experience. I had a few problems with my '08 F-150 and I've had a few with my '16 as well. What brought me back to Ford was the way they handled the issues. The reason I bad mouth FCA is not because of the quality of the vehicles, they all have problems. But it was FCA's absolutely **** poor customer service when I needed them the most. I've owned vehicles from all of the big-3, as well as plenty of Hondas and a Toyota. FCA was absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a vehicle, and probably my second worst experience with anything.

Another nitpick is the 3,000,000 number. That's F-Series as a whole, not just F-150s. Not that it really matters since Chevy/GMC and Ram numbers include 2500 and 3500 as well.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
But it was FCA's absolutely **** poor customer service when I needed them the most. I've owned vehicles from all of the big-3, as well as plenty of Hondas and a Toyota. FCA was absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a vehicle
I can respect that as it is Ford's customer service that will be the reason this one is my last one. Absolute worst experience I've had with ANY purchase, much less a vehicle. And I've owned a ton, from BMW to Pontiac. We all make decisions based on our own experiences.
The following users liked this post:
gregsf150stx (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Taken their quality control with the 5.0, it will be the last one for me.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Its unacceptable to have issues such as frozen door locks and leaking panoramic roofs. How come a base model Toyota Corolla won't have any door latch issues but a $60,000 truck will? It literally makes no sense.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

quality, well no, its sound good from the Ad department. Sure if Ford could would go back to
12/12 warranty, knowing all the problems going to have... Vehicle are just too complicated now.
So much is really over kill. For all the cost increases, problems, and so little increase in mileage
since the 70's really. Watch You Tube find an old 150 parked in the weeds. Fiddle with it a little
fires up. A 19 in the weeds, no way, computers fried, digital displays fried, electronic motor
controls fried, so on so on
Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I came from a 2011 2.7 4x4 tacoma access cab. It was a great little truck, but it also had issues, actually more issues in the first year then my 2018 3.3 4x4 xlt Supercab. The Tacoma needed blower motor replaced, ac rad replaced, and I had to fix the whistling in the windshield myself which is a known problem. They specd two different clutches in those trucks, luckily I got the good one, the Aisin, the Luk one would fail prematurely. Then there is the problem with the frames, I'm doubting they have fixed that yet. Look under any Tacoma 8 years old in the salt belt, the undercarriage will be a mess if not maintained. The Tacomas interior fit and finish was better though. The only thing bad with my new truck is the wavy dash, I knew about that before purchasing though. I agree, alot of new vehicles have quirks with them, your lucky if you get one that is perfect, but look what goes into them these days.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Quality has tanked---- I'm ready to go back and try a chevy or ram.

Crappy suspension and vibration in gas pedal and steering wheel on a 19 with 1500 miles. Hard to believe we have to take the most overpriced pickups with biggest factory margins ever sold and immediately start studying after market addons to resolve issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Quality