Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Never Ceases to Amaze Me....

Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Ford Never Ceases to Amaze Me....

It appears the new IIHS ratings are out. Not only did the halogen headlights receive terrible ratings on the '15-'17 F-150 but it appears they've made them even worse for '18!!

What in the heck is going on over there?!! Bunch of idiots... The low beams don't even provide 5 lux at 100 ft on the left side of the road.

I'm done ranting but, seriously, how can this be? Maybe the aim was off really bad on the model they tested?
The following users liked this post:
RubyFX4 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Nevermind...looks like someone beat me to this one.
Ricktwuhk (10-25-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

All part of big brother's population control master plan.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having experience in the manufacturing world both from an engineering aspect and from the sales world, money drives everything! With competitors such as the Ram practically giving trucks and potentially threatening a large portion of Ford's market share, manufactures have to find ways to take cost out of their product to make it more appealing to the customer.
Ironically, Ford's price point for a f150 with LED's is out of most peoples price range (Lariat, limited, etc.) or at least mine... $50K for a light duty truck, no thanks! IMO, the larger market for the F150 falls within the XL and XLT packages, so taking cost out of those particular trucks offers more to Ford's bottom line.

Could be totally wrong but when I look at this and other situations and compare it to my professional career, this is what I see.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

let's face it - if you're in the forum you're an enthusiast. Manufacturers do not build vehicles for enthusiasts. They build them for the largest portion of the population as possible, weighing competing priorities.

On this particular issue, I have no intel. However, Rudyj07 has the theme correct. Ford sells +/- 750k F150s each year. If they can save $1 on a part, it's $750k in additional profit.

$750k in pure profit is not easy to ignore.

The irony is: they were previously touting the F150 as the only truck with 5 star safety....so, they kind of need to decide if they are going to market on safety (subaru), capability or efficiency, whatever. It's pretty hard to build something that satisfies all.

As an editorial comment - we (consumers) would all benefit from more deals like Ford and GM have with the 10speed. Again, I have no specific intel, but considering this unit is going into ALL of the light duties (save lowest end)....I'm guessing the savings was significant for both companies.

other "invisible" to the consumer partnering could save HUGE money. As a for instance...why do we need 4 seperate rear ends? (Toyota, RAM, Ford and GM?)

No reason they can't standardize and drive down costs in a big, big way. As a consumer....this is where I would like them to focus.
Rudyj07 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ExecFx4
As a for instance...why do we need 4 seperate rear ends? (Toyota, RAM, Ford and GM?)
Isn't this what they used to do with transfer cases and axles with small variations to suit manufacturers (NP241, Dana 44/60, etc?). I agree, they should go back to that...
Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 AM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

let's face it - if you're in the forum you're an enthusiast. Manufacturers do not build vehicles for enthusiasts. They build them for the largest portion of the population as possible, weighing competing priorities.

On this particular issue, I have no intel. However, Rudyj07 has the theme correct. Ford sells +/- 750k F150s each year. If they can save $1 on a part, it's $750k in additional profit.

$750k in pure profit is not easy to ignore.

The irony is: they were previously touting the F150 as the only truck with 5 star safety....so, they kind of need to decide if they are going to market on safety (subaru), capability or efficiency, whatever. It's pretty hard to build something that satisfies all.

As an editorial comment - we (consumers) would all benefit from more deals like Ford and GM have with the 10speed. Again, I have no specific intel, but considering this unit is going into ALL of the light duties (save lowest end)....I'm guessing the savings was significant for both companies.

other "invisible" to the consumer partnering could save HUGE money. As a for instance...why do we need 4 seperate rear ends? (Toyota, RAM, Ford and GM?)

No reason they can't standardize and drive down costs in a big, big way. As a consumer....this is where I would like them to focus.
When buying finished metal parts, volume discounts have their limits. The savings you get in manufacturing are usually a combination of tooling amortization across more parts, material cost breaks, and process efficiency. They're already at the kind of volume levels where tooling is inconsequential, material costs are already low, and processes are near their most efficient levels. Running standard rear ends won't lead to a noticeable savings in the OEM market. You might see slightly lower aftermarket costs due to retail outlets needing to stock fewer different parts, but that's about it.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

As I've said in other threads with this issue, all chevy LT's come with LED lights that are pretty good (possibly LS's too but I don't remember). To match their competitors, I personally think Ford needs to put LEDs in all packages from XLT up. It's not a big price difference(if any) considering how relatively cheap LEDs are now.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Ford sells +/- 750k F150s each year.
I think it is 750k F Series truck combined.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bcb97
As I've said in other threads with this issue, all chevy LT's come with LED lights that are pretty good (possibly LS's too but I don't remember). To match their competitors, I personally think Ford needs to put LEDs in all packages from XLT up. It's not a big price difference(if any) considering how relatively cheap LEDs are now.
Most silverados come with HID stabdard, to include LT models. Have to step up to a ltz or high country to get the leds.

Search this Thread