Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford does not want me (apparently) to buy an F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ford does not want me (apparently) to buy an F-150

As some of you may know (from my "getting ready to jump into F-150 waters" thread) I was about to purchase an F-150.

I wanted a truck for a longtime but it was never (financially) the right time. Now the time has come and I was considering different trucks and settled on F-150.

So, I found the truck I wanted, pulled all the incentives, printed the window sticker, spoke to local Ford dealer's internet department - did my homework.

The truck was selling for $42k but with incentives it came down to around $35k. My wife (her credit was slightly better) applied for Ford credit and was approved (4% rate). I was going to put $5k deposit (or even $7k).

And then this happened. First, I asked to see and test drive the actual truck I was buying. The dealer brings me a different truck (upper level). I explained to them that I want to check and test-drive the truck I am driving. Ok they say they will get it (never did).

Then I sit down with finance guy. I put in my Car Loan Calculator app all the digits (price, tax, interest rate, deposit, dealership fees) and my monthly payment comes down to $620. Dealer's work sheet shows $683. (also they put the b.s. windows itching fee, docs fee etc but I was going to accept those - being a good sport).

BUT the extra $60 a month I wanted to know where is that coming from. Suddenly the guy is telling me that even though I am buying the truck at discounted price ($35.9k actually) I still have to pay fees and taxes on full price of the car.

He then says I can pay that directly to government but they are bundling it up into monthly payment fee. He also says "hey, if you don't believe me you can pay the tax difference straight to government" [difference in tax between the full MSRP price and rhe price I am actually buying the truck for].

So I say, "ok, I'll pay that directly to the government as you just stated I can do that (calling him on his b.s.)".

He (finance guy) than says " no I am not going to do that". I said "why, if you just gave me the option"?

So the finance guys says "you gotta pay this or no deal" - I say no deal and walk out.

The bottom line is they were trying to s.crew me for another $3,780 over 60 months term. So while (on one end) they discounted the truck from $42k to $35,9 (6k) on the other hand they were taking close to $4k back.

I must say I never had such bad experience with dealership. Of course today the incentives expired and they called me (twice) today (dealer) but I never called them back. I soured on the whole process. Now the incentives expired and I definitely dont have a reason to pursue F-150 further.

I want to say while I LOVE this forum and how supportive and friendly (and knowledgeable) all are, I absolutely hate the Ford dealership experience. And this is too bad because I really wanted this truck and was ready to buy it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experiences.
The following 3 users liked this post by Judoka:
08drenalin (05-21-2017), JLTD (04-10-2016), rntonp (04-06-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but every brand has its good dealers and its bad dealers. It's why I've never owned a Toyota -- couldn't find a dealer in my area that didn't totally **** me off.
The following 2 users liked this post by RogDog:
Judoka (04-05-2016), Supercrewbear (04-06-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 1,266 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Judoka
As some of you may know (from my "getting ready to jump into F-150 waters" thread) I was about to purchase an F-150.

I wanted a truck for a longtime but it was never (financially) the right time. Now the time has come and I was considering different trucks and settled on F-150.

So, I found the truck I wanted, pulled all the incentives, printed the window sticker, spoke to local Ford dealer's internet department - did my homework.

The truck was selling for $42k but with incentives it came down to around $35k. My wife (her credit was slightly better) applied for Ford credit and was approved (4% rate). I was going to put $5k deposit (or even $7k).

And then this happened. First, I asked to see and test drive the actual truck I was buying. The dealer brings me a different truck (upper level). I explained to them that I want to check and test-drive the truck I am driving. Ok they say they will get it (never did).

Then I sit down with finance guy. I put in my Car Loan Calculator app all the digits (price, tax, interest rate, deposit, dealership fees) and my monthly payment comes down to $620. Dealer's work sheet shows $683. (also they put the b.s. windows itching fee, docs fee etc but I was going to accept those - being a good sport).

BUT the extra $60 a month I wanted to know where is that coming from. Suddenly the guy is telling me that even though I am buying the truck at discounted price ($35.9k actually) I still have to pay fees and taxes on full price of the car.

He then says I can pay that directly to government but they are bundling it up into monthly payment fee. He also says "hey, if you don't believe me you can pay the tax difference straight to government" [difference in tax between the full MSRP price and rhe price I am actually buying the truck for].

So I say, "ok, I'll pay that directly to the government as you just stated I can do that (calling him on his b.s.)".

He (finance guy) than says " no I am not going to do that". I said "why, if you just gave me the option"?

So the finance guys says "you gotta pay this or no deal" - I say no deal and walk out.

The bottom line is they were trying to s.crew me for another $3,780 over 60 months term. So while (on one end) they discounted the truck from $42k to $35,9 (6k) on the other hand they were taking close to $4k back.

I must say I never had such bad experience with dealership. Of course today the incentives expired and they called me (twice) today (dealer) but I never called them back. I soured on the whole process. Now the incentives expired and I definitely dont have a reason to pursue F-150 further.

I want to say while I LOVE this forum and how supportive and friendly (and knowledgeable) all are, I absolutely hate the Ford dealership experience. And this is too bad because I really wanted this truck and was ready to buy it.

You might of got lucky today that you didn't buy it.. Sounds like it would of been the start of a bad relationship.
The following 2 users liked this post by Livoniabob:
iFord (04-07-2016), Judoka (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Judoka

They were trying to get you with a warranty and a maintenance plan with out you knowing. But I work at a dealer. I Can help you right now ford is offering 84 months at 2.9 percent interest. We still have some 15 trucks left on our lot. If you want you can private message me. But you only pay the taxes on the amount financed. They were really trying to get in your pocket book.
The following 6 users liked this post by nickel_work87:
Blue Blood (09-10-2022), iFord (04-07-2016), JLTD (04-10-2016), joeyrowe (04-06-2016), Judoka (04-05-2016), StevieP65 (04-13-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

its hard to say....my first dealer...salesman I have known for a long time.....he is retired now...dealership pissed me off....and I went 30 mins out of my way for the 16......and holy fk.....it felt like if I s#$%^ they were ready to wipe....then the truck came in...had to be brought in from another dealer.....they put hood/vents and flaps on...included...I was amazed..and very happy...
The following users liked this post:
Judoka (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Try another dealership.
Judoka (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

In CA you pay taxes on the price before rebates. They are cash rebates that the dealer gets back from ford. The truck still technically sells for the price before rebates. It just lowers your effective cost.

This is no different than buying something at staples with a mail in rebate, except you pay the difference up front and get it back not staples.

Sorry to say but I think the extra money was from more than just taxes. Even at 10% taxes you'd only be seeing a $600 difference in cost.

Same thing for phones. You pay the taxes on the full price of the phone not the discounted portion. Not sure about other states but the greedy state of CA stocks it you
The following 4 users liked this post by Nighthawk87:
BStrummin (04-06-2016), FranksLive (04-06-2016), ilkhan (04-08-2016), Judoka (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I would call Ford directly and open a file with them in regards to that dealer. It's amazing what happens you get Ford involved directly and it sounds like that dealer needs to be reported and put in line.

Definitely find another dealer either way.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeppelin987:
iFord (04-07-2016), Judoka (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by nickel_work87
They were trying to get you with a warranty and a maintenance plan with out you knowing. But I work at a dealer. I Can help you right now ford is offering 84 months at 2.9 percent interest. We still have some 15 trucks left on our lot. If you want you can private message me. But you only pay the taxes on the amount financed. They were really trying to get in your pocket book.
Hi Nickel - thank you for the offer - it is very kind of you. However, I wasn't going to finance anything for longer than 60 months. My wife was approved for 4.9% interest rate and, while not ideal, I could live with that. All the incentives are now gone too.

I really disliked the experience and something that was supposed to be a happy event turned into something disappointing.

I really wanted an F-150. A friend works at Toyota dealership and offered me really good deal on Tundra (and by the way all my cars are Hondas) but I want(ed) a Ford. I liked it. I still do. I was buying a simple XL with 5.0 4x4 e-locker with 3.73. Blue jeans color. Loved it.

Anyway, I guess I'll wait and keep watching incentives. But I am not walking into any dealership again until all is done via email with the dealer and the numbers are clear.

I guess I don't understand the business model where they try to s.crew customers over, and then when the customer walks out they call him to come back. Why the f... would I?

I run my own company and if I treated my customers the way dealership treated me I'd be out of business in a day.
iFord (04-07-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk87
Sorry to say but I think the extra money was from more than just taxes. Even at 10% taxes you'd only be seeing a $600 difference in cost.
They were definitely playing games.

Quick Reply: Ford does not want me (apparently) to buy an F-150