Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Dealer's terrible level kit install rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ford Dealer's terrible level kit install rant

I had a RC 2.5 level kit with 1" added rear block installed at my local dealer 4 months ago. They convinced me to let them do it because they said if there are any issues with it, they will cover it under warranty if they do the installation (I was so naive). As soon as I got the truck back I knew something was wrong. There was a grinding noise so I took it right back. They replaced the IWE on the drivers side and that was fine for a week. Then the other IWE failed. Again they replaced it, but they blamed it on a faulty ford wheel hubs. I knew it was because they screwed up the install, but As long as they covered the cost of fixing it I didn't care why. Also, all the LT tires they installed were at 28-29 psi, WAY too low for even P rated tires.

The Rake I still had was my next complaint. I wanted 1" to 1.5" of rake. It was my understanding that a 2.5" level kit should be dead level on the 2015s and that a 1" block would then leave you with about 1" of rake. With the front level and rear block installed, I had 2.5" of rake still! The front spacer had only given me a little over 1.5" of lift (I measured before and after, but don't remember those measurements).

So this week I finally got around to removing the rear block and going back to OE rear height. While removing the rear U-bolts, I noticed that one of the nuts was missing a washer and most of the nuts were at less than 30lbs of torque! Also, the U-bolts were so cross threaded, you couldn't torque them any more. The Rough Country U-bolts are terrible quality compare to OE. I feel lucky that I didn't have a more serious issue. At least I finally have the look i was going for. I now have 1.25" of rake with just the front level and love the stance. However, I will never use another Rough Country product.

So that was my rant. I don't trust the dealership to do any work for me ever again.
Here is how it looks with the rear blocks removed:
Attached Thumbnails Ford Dealer's terrible level kit install rant-image-2474969831.jpg  
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

So what was wrong with the Rough Country leveling kit? Sounds like the idiots at the dealer cross threaded the ubolts with an impact gun. I actually felt like my Rough Country parts were of excellent quality (better than expected) for what I paid.

Glad it all worked out for you in the end?
Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by berty
So what was wrong with the Rough Country leveling kit? Sounds like the idiots at the dealer cross threaded the ubolts with an impact gun. I actually felt like my Rough Country parts were of excellent quality (better than expected) for what I paid. Glad it all worked out for you in the end?
I've read multiple other threads in which people complain that the RC 2.5" level kit did not give the front 2.5" of lift. Also I was disappointed in the quality of the U-Bolts. I agree that ford probably damaged them by using an impact wrench, but they were also too long (probably from one of their full sized lift kits). I don't think an impact wrench should have done that much damage to the threads. These bolts were torn up. They have a much finer thread than OE which does yield more clamping force, but I suspect they are made from a weaker material.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

just tell your dealer you want new ubolts, they are super cheap. Grab the HD ones if you want something stronger. I had to put new ones in and it wasn't a big deal.

I do get the frustration and wanting the job done right the first time.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Dave

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought RC has a lifetime warranty on the parts. You might try speaking with them 1st and see if they can hook you up with some new u bolts.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JEEPER5002000
I thought RC has a lifetime warranty on the parts. You might try speaking with them 1st and see if they can hook you up with some new u bolts.
I removed the rear block because it had too much rake, and I already got new OE U-Bolts.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't know anything about the Rough Country kits not providing a full 2.5" of leveling when installed. Theoretically that shouldn't be possible if the spacers have a thickness of 2.5". On a 4 wheel drive truck the front and rear have a difference in height of 2.5". A 2.5" kit would level it out completely. My 2" Autospring kit left me with exactly .5" of forward rake. Installing a rear block is going to give you 1.0" of lift in the rear and on my setup would equate to 1.5" of rake. On yours it should have given you exactly 1.0" of rake if it was a 1.0" block. This is because a 2.5" leveling kit should make a 4WD truck perfectly level front to rear.

Now, there is a period of time where the front or rear may be a little higher at first than intended until the suspension settled. Mine settled on the drive home which was about 15 miles. If the rear of your truck wasn't 1.0" higher than the front, then they must have ****ed up something with the rear block install. I don't know how they could have added more rake doing that. It doesn't really make sense.

I too had a horrible experience with the dealership installing mine. In my case they ran something into my truck or ran my truck into something. I can't tell which. They also jacked up the alignment. I finally got it straightened out, but I wanted to just pay for the dealership to do it rather than going through the hassle of doing suspension work without a proper lift. I now know better. It sounds to me as though the Rough Country product may not be the problem, but rather the installation was simply done wrong. That's the first place I'd lay the blame. Lots of people on here run Rough Country leveling kits without issue. It's not the one I would have chosen, but there is every indication that they work properly when installed by someone who doesn't lick refrigerators or pick their nose with a drill bit.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Any suspension shop csn custom bend you any size U bolts you need in mere minutes and dirt cheap.
This is such an easy fix as its mere minutes of work.
I Never let a dealers shop touch my vehicles.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Truck looks great!!
The following users liked this post:
gdom (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
Theoretically that shouldn't be possible if the spacers have a thickness of 2.5".
The spacer itself is not 2.5" thick. It's not even 1.5" thick. It is supposed to create a lift of 2.5". Not sure how, but I'm sure others more knowledgable will chime in. I just checked mine i still have in box for confirmation.

Quick Reply: Ford Dealer's terrible level kit install rant