Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

falken wildpeak at3w vs toyo open country at2 (on-road+MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default falken wildpeak at3w vs toyo open country at2 (on-road+MPG)

Hey there! It's just about time to upgrade from the stock tires on my 2015 xlt 4x2 17", and I am looking at getting some AT's.

I was just about convinced on the Falken's until my tire store offered to give me Toyo's for the same price. Now I'm torn and would like to gather opinions. I mostly drive on-road on the sunny streets of California, and take a few short trips to snowy areas in the winter. I also daily drive on short dirt/gravel ranch roads. I'm most concerned about how quiet/smooth they are on road and how well they can handle in occasional snow. My tire store suggests the Toyo because "it's a better tire" but always good to hear from the fellow F150 owners

Has anyone run both and seen the MPG difference between the two? I feel like I've heard that the Toyo's are heavier and therefore hurt the MPG.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Correction! I think I flipped it.. Falkens are heavier
Old 12-19-2017, 08:25 PM
HD4

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

had the same Toyo's on for a week on normal driving around town and hated them. they were LOUD and and I could feel vibrations when stoping. We played with the tire pressure made no difference. Toyo took them back. I switched to the Falkens love them. Have 30,000 plus miles on them still going strong. Will buy another set
Cant compare MPG since I did not have then Toyo long.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme's. My experience so far is unlike the previous post. Zero vibration and I would have said they are really quiet for an AT tire. I honestly don't notice any additional noise over the stock tires. They are a great road tire and dirt tire. They are OK in snow but there are better snow tires out there for example Duratracs.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Both get good reviews... one thing I’ve read about falkens is when they are about half worn the tread starts to disappear because the tread blocks don’t go all the way down. Take it for what it’s worth, both are good tires and good reviews.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I decided to go with the Falken's because of their 3 peak mountain snowflake rating. Maybe I'll try the Toyo's in the summer too
Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Falkens all day every day.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the falkens and I love um. Haven't been able to find out how they do in snow yet, but they do really well in heavy rains and what little offraod I've been.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had both, and you can't go wrong with either one. The Toyo's were quieter, and were amazing in the snow even though they're not rated for severe duty. Falkens are on the '03 right now and are also amazing in the snow.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

After a few months of doing my homework, I ended up grabbing a set of Wildpeaks and I love them so far! Had the chance to drive them on paved roads (dry and very wet), gravel, snow and ice and I don't have any complaints so far. There is no noise difference between them and the OEM tires (hankook dynapro)

The Toyos never were in the race since they're not severe snow rated and it's mandatory in winter where I live, but they look like good tires. They are surely a ''better brand'' than Falken, just like Samsung would be a better TV brand than LG or Sharp, but be careful of store suggestions, as they most likely make more profit out of certain brands of tires, which makes them biased when it comes to recommending tires.

Have you considered the Yokohama Geolandars A/T G015? Just by checking the thread pattern, I can tell that they would have less rolling resistance. They were one of my 2 narrowed choice, but I ended up buying the Wildpeaks because they looked a little more aggressive.

Last edited by Eduskator; 12-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: falken wildpeak at3w vs toyo open country at2 (on-road+MPG)