Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Stealth Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Below Average Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F150 Stealth Transmission Issue

I’ve got a 2015 Ford F150, FX4 Supercrew V6 ecoboost. Love my F150! Here’s some info and awarning for other owners:

I’ve got 30k miles on the truck and started noticing 2 things.

First, hard downshifting, especially in Sport mode. The shifting was a little rough sometimes in normal driving and very abrupt in Sport mode. Not the sporty abrupt you expect, so hard it felt like the transmission was going to drop. Regular driving without sport mode was not bad, but sometimes seemed less smooth than it should be. However, power was good, gas mileage was good etc.

Second: Once over about 65-70mph I would hear a quite rhythmic “whoomp, whoomp” sound. If I let off the gas it stopped, apply the gas, resumed. It’s quiet, you wouldn’t hear it over the radio. But on a long drive at 70+ you could hear it with a continuous frequency/cycle; if the radio’s off.

Took it to Ford and under warranty; they are replacing the torque converter and the planetary gear.

Just passing this on in case it’s a problem others have. It would be easy to overlook as it’s not completely debilitating, but serious enough Ford replaced the parts at least as a caution.

Ford has been great to deal with and appreciate their support in quickly repairing the problem.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S.Mack
I’ve got a 2015 Ford F150, FX4 Supercrew V6 ecoboost. Love my F150! Here’s some info and awarning for other owners:

I’ve got 30k miles on the truck and started noticing 2 things.

First, hard downshifting, especially in Sport mode. The shifting was a little rough sometimes in normal driving and very abrupt in Sport mode. Not the sporty abrupt you expect, so hard it felt like the transmission was going to drop. Regular driving without sport mode was not bad, but sometimes seemed less smooth than it should be. However, power was good, gas mileage was good etc.

Second: Once over about 65-70mph I would hear a quite rhythmic “whoomp, whoomp” sound. If I let off the gas it stopped, apply the gas, resumed. It’s quiet, you wouldn’t hear it over the radio. But on a long drive at 70+ you could hear it with a continuous frequency/cycle; if the radio’s off.

Took it to Ford and under warranty; they are replacing the torque converter and the planetary gear.

Just passing this on in case it’s a problem others have. It would be easy to overlook as it’s not completely debilitating, but serious enough Ford replaced the parts at least as a caution.

Ford has been great to deal with and appreciate their support in quickly repairing the problem.

Interesting... Were your symptoms anything like those described in this thread? https://www.f150forum.com/f118/drive-train-slop-395211/
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Below Average Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IbeInNC
Interesting... Were your symptoms anything like those described in this thread? https://www.f150forum.com/f118/drive-train-slop-395211/
No. No “clunk” as that poster described. Just the fast, consistent rythmic “whoomp, whoomp” sound. Much like you’d hear from a low or flat tire but in the transmission.

Last edited by S.Mack; 12-16-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: F150 Stealth Transmission Issue