Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 is not cold tolerant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Default F150 is not cold tolerant?

5800 miles on the truck.

Remote started the truck before work tonight. It was 7* out there. I let it idle ~10 minutes and then went out to leave. As soon as I hit the brake and start buttons the entire dash lit up with warnings. Advance Trac, 4x4, ABS, cruise control, and lane keeping were all inoperative. Also got a brake warning light and power steering assist was reduced by about half. The dash worked, but the center stack info screen was blank other than the rear camera view that would pop every ten seconds or so, even while driving forward at highway speed. In the engine information screen, the idle hours were not available. I shut the truck off, restarted it, and got the same warnings/problems. Had to leave for work, so I didn't have much choice.

15 miles into my trip, I decided to pull over, shut the truck off long enough for all the cabin lights to go out, and restarted it. All the warnings and problems were gone. My only guess is that some module that controls all of this is not cold tolerant at all.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 12-15-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:27 AM
That's Mr. Tippy to you.

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

This may sound weird but I think you're right. I had posted a thread on here a few days back about getting a weird "trailer connected, BLIS & park assist deactivated" warnings on my dash. I didn't have anything connect to my hitch. I played with the settings but there was. I way to turn off "trailer connected". So I had turned the car off. Waited a little while then tried turning it back on but the warnings stayed. I turned it off longer then eventually it would shut off. But here's the crazy thing. Its happen on a few different days and both times while it was snowing or cold as s^%#. My wife said it might be cause it's cold and I said that didn't make sense. Lol. I'm intending to bring it it but thought it was funny that you said it's. It cold tolerant. Not helpful post but thought I'd comment.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:50 AM
Fishmonger

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

nope, not yet.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Question...when you first open the door, the system starts booting up, right? How soon do you get in and try to start the truck. Yes, I realize you had it remote started and idling for 10 minutes, but I just wonder if some of you who have problems with the electrival systems, are maybe interrupting the boot up process by starting the truck too soon. See, for me, I'mean handicapped, and by the time I throw my crutches in the back, climb in the truck, and get myself self situated, the system has long since fully booted up by the time I start the engine.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:47 AM
Sheep Dog

Long enough for me to plug my phone in and buckle my seat belt. In any case, nearly every major system should not have a simultaneous failure, no matter what.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I had the same issue one time, it turned out to be my battery (6months old) was shot and screwing up the whole system. Replaced the battery with the bigger 2.7eb battery and the problem never came back.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Newt Knight
Question...when you first open the door, the system starts booting up, right? How soon do you get in and try to start the truck. Yes, I realize you had it remote started and idling for 10 minutes, but I just wonder if some of you who have problems with the electrival systems, are maybe interrupting the boot up process by starting the truck too soon. See, for me, I'mean handicapped, and by the time I throw my crutches in the back, climb in the truck, and get myself self situated, the system has long since fully booted up by the time I start the engine.
As soon as you do anything it starts booting up, unlocking the door, remote start, anything. It also stays on for a few minutes after you lock the doors and leave the truck.

OPs truck has an issue and he should take it to a dealership to see if they can diagnose it. It's not normal operation or a common issue. 7 degrees isn't even coming close what some of our northern friends see with these trucks and their trucks handle it fine.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Mine is an 11, but had similar issues with a bad battery. Better get it tested.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Sheep Dog

The strange thing is that even when it's dead cold at that temp, it cranks fast. The engine has no problem turning over and firing right up. After work this morning it was 5*. Went through the same remote start with brief warm up and there were no issues. Weird.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

no problems here n i just spent the last 3 weeks in -30 to -40 weather
although the power steering was slow to warm, i myself was slow to warm too at those temps