Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 and Tight Squeeze in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default F-150 and Tight Squeeze in garage?

I measured out my garage and it would be a difficult fit to get a SCrew 5.5 into my garage. I would only have 6" to spare before I run into the wall. For my wife I put blocks so she knows when to stop. The width is also a bit tight as well. I would have to back it in with the mirrors folded. I am wondering when/if I get a F-150, would it be best to just leave it outside in the snow?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Some guy

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,284 Posts

This is really more of a question of driver skill, and that's a question I think only you can answer. You could do the same thing and put down blocks or get one of those systems that shines a laser onto a spot on your dashboard. Once the laser in the spot, go no further. Or use a backup camera.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you opt to get a model which doesn't offer auto folding mirrors, I can't see you getting out to fold in your mirrors every single time you pull in to the garage. That would get old really quick.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

6 inches is more than I have... Block of wood against the wall to stop the tire gives me about 3" clearance on the door. I have a double door, but I have to watch the right-hand mirror. Backing in with mirror folded, and getting out to fold them each time (and open them up) would be tiresome for me. I'd have power mirrors and not have to worry about it.
The following users liked this post:
solarity (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I wouldn't to it without power mirrors. Granted I could always get my wife to get a smaller car, giving me more room Though that doesn't help me length wise. I guess I was curious if anyone has done this and had regrets. I remember my neighbor backed up his truck, forgetting his cab hatch was open up >
Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I pull in forward. Then mirrors don't matter as much, and the truck stops where it needs to.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

When I bought my retirement home I made sure that my truck could fit. We actually found a house that had a 4 car garage and the depth on half of the garage was about 35 foot, so I was like I scored, but when we went into the house my wife said no way Joseph because the house was only about as big as a large apartment. We ended up looking at about 30 homes and most of them I walked into and right back out of because I knew that my truck would not fit, so when we put the offer in on our home, I had it put in their that I would get my escrow money back if my truck would not fit because the seller still had a few things in the third car part of the garage, so one day he and my realtor called me up and asked me to come check it out. I have about 10 inches to spare and so thankful that my Lariart has one touch collapsing mirrors. Sometimes you have to get your priority correct.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts

360 camera helps here - several good recommendations on knowing "how far forward". In my case I've found that when I have the 1st red line on the backup camera on my transition from the garage pavement to the gravel drive that I'm in the right place with a few inches of clearance on the tailgate and enough on the front to slip by... so I'll pull in to approximate I need to be, throw it in reverse and then backup or pull forward to get aligned.

And, I just watch my mirrors CLOSELY as I pull in..... kinda of glad I did not get the Tow Mirrors now - I'm sure I have more width than I think, but when whatever space you have is cut in half it gets small quick
Old 08-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have to deal with that every day. To get in/out I have to fold/unfold mirrors and I only bought an XLT so no power mirrors for me. But I have about 4 feet before I hit the wall but that's also where my workbench is so technically only about 6" until I hit that.
To deal with that I have a tennis ball hanging from ceiling and I stop once it hits windshield. Oh the first world issues we have to deal with..........
solarity (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by lumpythetexan
Sometimes you have to get your priority correct.
I like the way you think.
lumpythetexan (08-29-2016)

Quick Reply: F-150 and Tight Squeeze in garage?