Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 5.5' Bed/Tonneau Cover Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Question F-150 5.5' Bed/Tonneau Cover Advice

I suspect this forum is the best place to get good advice from fellow truck guys - I'm a relatively new member and would appreciate any advice or information on the topic. I've made the decision to add a bed/tonneau cover to my 2016 F-150 with the 5.5' extra short bed. In general, I use my truck bed for things such as hauling fishing poles and equipment, hunting gear and equipment, one or more mountain bikes, tools, golf clubs, kids bags/toys, and luggage. I also own a trailer when I need to haul larger things. The primary reason I want a bed cover is so I can keep things in the back of my truck out of the weather and secure when I'm away from my truck. With the research I've done so far, I've excluded soft bed covers because of durability and security, excluded the roll-up style bed covers because of looks and personal preference, and excluded the single piece fiberglass style covers because of functionality not being able to haul taller items. This leaves the retractable style bed covers and the folding style bed covers. I plan to keep my current truck for a long time and not concerned with cost but rather finding a functional and long-term, high-quality solution.

When I first began my research I was focused on the Retrax Pro MX or XR. They both have a clean look, good reviews, lifetime warranties, are aluminum and strong, can open and close easily and without regard to the tailgate, and can lock in any position. I have a spray in LineX bed liner and visited my local shop knowing they sell bed covers. The guy at the shop stated that the Truck Gear branded retractable hard tonneau cover they sell is simply a rebranded Retrax Pro MX made in the same factory as Retrax and LineX offers the warranty so I could deal with them directly if I had issues down the road. That information was enough for the Truck Gear retractable hard tonneau cover to be the one I'm considering most. The only reason I haven't already bought this bed cover is that the canister it retracts into takes up a significant amount of space, i.e. approximately 14 inches from the front bulkhead to the rear of the canister and leaves approximately nine inches under the canister to the bed. While I believe there will be few instances this lost space will be an issue, it has caused me enough pause to reach out for advice.

Since then, I have been looking at the folding bed covers although I like them less because they do not look as clean when folded up even flat, don't like the idea of the back window being blocked when folded up, and don't want the folded cover resting against the cab. However, the LineX dealer also sells a Truck Gear LXP hard folding tonneau cover that comes with the same lifetime warranty and is actually a LineX coated aluminum - looks like a rebranded BAKflip MX4 but am not certain.
  1. Does anybody have the Retrax, Gatortrax, or Truck Gear retractable bed covers on their 5.5' bed? Any regrets?
  2. Regarding water resistance, how do the retractable bed covers compare with the folding style bed covers?
  3. Has anyone else bought a Truck Gear bed cover?
  4. Any other comments or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:04 PM

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I would really appreciate pictures! Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I got one of the cheap 200$ ones on Amazon and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019NUGFSS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019NUGFSS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only picture I have:

The following users liked this post:
amgilles1 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently found a diamondback cover on their "outlet" site. Great cover. If you're looking for security, look no further. Yes, you will pay a bit more but it seems like many of the better quality covers run almost 1K. Check out Diamondback's stuff and keep an eye on their "outlet" deals.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/

edit: they currently have two 270 models that would fit your truck for $1149.

Here's my "270" installed.

Last edited by dirtydeed; 11-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.
amgilles1 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use PE(Pace Edwards) Ultragroove series cover. Two reasons for me to choose that one.
#1. It has the built in side track, so you can put Thule, Yakima or Rhino cross bars and other rack system onto it. I use Rhino racks.
#2. It has rain water tubes on both front and tailgate end. It's probably the only one I have seen to have it. The other ones, like Retrax or other brands only has tubes on one end or none.

PE does have aluminum version and aluminum+motorized version of the ultragroove cover. I only own the basic non-aluminum version. It's cheaper.
If you don't need the track system, I recommend diamondback. It on my top two list when I do my homework before I made my decision.

Thanks!
amgilles1 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:35 AM

Thanks apolloneo. Do you have the 5.5' bed and if so, any regrets or issues with the canister taking up bed space?

I took a look into the Pace Edwards Ultragroove and it seemed very similar to the Retrax Pro XR having the t-slot rail system along the sides. I think that is a plus as it would allow for future functionality and storage above the bed cover. Looks like the main difference is the additional drain tube, as you mentioned, and also the warranty only being three years vs. lifetime with the Retrax.

Both you and dirtydeed mentioned the Diamondback brand bed cover. It looks like a vault and that it would be solid. I had looked into that brand previously and have decided against it only because it doesn't appear that I would be able to haul a mountain bike in my truck bed with that cover - assuming the middle cross member the rear access panel hinges on does not move.
apolloneo (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dirtydeed
I recently found a diamondback cover on their "outlet" site. Great cover. If you're looking for security, look no further. Yes, you will pay a bit more but it seems like many of the better quality covers run almost 1K. Check out Diamondback's stuff and keep an eye on their "outlet" deals.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/

edit: they currently have two 270 models that would fit your truck for $1149.

Here's my "270" installed.

That's an amazing and strong cover! I've seen those around here in Colorado with the Quads on top. It's more versatile than I thought.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM

yes, my truck does have the 5.5' bed. So far everything looks good to me. As I mentioned before, I finally pick the PE because I need the track and the drain. I only have it for this summer in the mid west area, so far no leak issue even with couple times of heavy rain. I will see how it goes when this winter comes.
The diamondback cover with some mods you can haul your mountain bike also with the rack system. In my original thought I can install T track (just couple drill and seal the screw hole) on the db cover top and then put cross member onto it and you will have a regular rack system to put whatever you like onto it. The only drawback is you have to unload everything on the top, for example the bike rack then you can open the lid, while if you have the retractable cover, this problem doesn't exist.
Oh, forget to mention, you might want to compare the canister's size, aluminum might have slight bigger size. Another one, it's not a cover, but since you mentioned loading a bike, have you heard DECKED system? maybe you want to look at that.
Again, to pick a cover is totally based on your needs. As for me, I'm not construction guy or heavy hauler, my truck so far has enough room to support me and my family to have a great outdoor time, bikes, fishing, maybe ski this winter.
I will put some pics later today. hope those can give you some idea. Remember there is no almighty solution, you gain somewhere and you lose some features too.

Last edited by apolloneo; 11-16-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add pictures
amgilles1 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 PM

The truck in the video has the same set up as I did. It's not talking about cover, but I found this setup very interesting.
The truck in the video has the same set up as I did. It's not talking about cover, but I found this setup very interesting.

Last edited by apolloneo; 11-19-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add video
amgilles1 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Thanks, the pictures are really helpful to visualize!

Quick Reply: F-150 5.5' Bed/Tonneau Cover Advice