Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended headlight bulb covers (for led)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Extended headlight bulb covers (for led)

I previously had some
LED bulbs LED bulbs
that had the ribbon style cooling fins. They fit in the stock housing but it was tight. After about a year and a half they failed. I replaced them with the same style but different
 manufacturer manufacturer
and they were too big to fit in housing with the stock rubber cap so I cut a small slit in them and moved the wiring outside of the housing. This resulted in moisture in both headlight housings. I found these
Aftermarket extended covers on amazon Aftermarket extended covers on amazon
but anything 85mm should work. These attach outside of the housing inlet rather than pressed into them like stock. They allow much more room for the cooling fins and wiring. I'm going to guess the longevity of the bulbs should improve and the moisture has stayed out after a rain and a wash.

​​

Last edited by Hudnut; 04-09-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry you had trouble with them the first time around but if you don't move the ballast outside the housing it will happen again. The ballasts, when placed inside the housing, overheat the leds and they fail.

The recommended way is to pass the wiring and heatsink through the boot with a grommet and silicone. Same as with the fan-cooled leds. Only they make for a little cleaner install in that you don't have the heatsink ribbon to seal around.

This link is for fan cooled bulbs but the idea is the same for the heatsink ribbon type.

Also take a look at this post as well as the rest of BlackBoost's thread.

Last edited by whirledpeaz; 04-09-2017 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
k.b. (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

As whirledpeaz said you want to remove the ballast from the housing or your LED will burn up. We actually sell high quality LED kits and for the Fords, we have a "Ballast Relocation Kit" which includes extenion wires and larger boots for the truck. We also sell the boots alone.

But if you have issues with your kit with light output take a look at our site and under the VEHICLE SPECIFIC section you'll find out Ford specific kits. And under INSTALLATION ACCESSORIES you can see our ballast relocation kit
Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 AM

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by whirledpeaz

Also take a look at this post as well as the rest of BlackBoost's thread.
That is how I had them installed when I encountered moisture in the housing. at the end of the day if I get over a year out of $30 bulbs (they are used as DRL too) so be it.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

I did this exact same thing. Had zero issues. They did not fail, period.
The following users liked this post:
Hudnut (04-10-2017)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudnut
I previously had some LED bulbs that had the ribbon style cooling fins. They fit in the stock housing but it was tight. After about a year and a half they failed. I replaced them with the same style but different manufacturer and they were too big to fit in housing with the stock rubber cap so I cut a small slit in them and moved the wiring outside of the housing. This resulted in moisture in both headlight housings. I found these Aftermarket extended covers on amazon but anything 85mm should work. These attach outside of the housing inlet rather than pressed into them like stock. They allow much more room for the cooling fins and wiring. I'm going to guess the longevity of the bulbs should improve and the moisture has stayed out after a rain and a wash.

​​

I ordered 83mm should I return it and get 85mm before I open any thing. For F150 2018
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I had those same extended caps and didn't end up using them. They were so soft and didn't really secure all that well. Seemed like they would fall off way to easy.
I also just jammed everything into the housing (similar lights). However, I forscanned the parking/running lights as my DRL's so the headlights are not on all the time. 8 months, so far so good.