Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP extended warranty question: definition of "commercial use"

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ESP extended warranty question: definition of "commercial use"

The price of any extended warranty plan is increased by $250 if you answer "yes" to the question: "Is this a commercial use vehicle?" I'm looking for anyone who has had real world experience with this specific part of the plan?

I've been told different things by 4 different dealers.
1) That it all depends on whether the vehicle is registered to a company (mine is not; it's in my own name).
2) That it depends on if your vehicle has company signage on it (mine does).
3) That it depends on how much it is being used in a business (mine is 5-10 days per year only).
4) That you'll never know until you actually use the warranty.

I'm semi-retired and only use my F150 5+ days a year for work purposes.

Going to the Ford website I downloaded a contract and "Commercial Use" means the vehicle is:

(i) used primarily for business or government purposes, by an individual or multiple drivers any government agency or municipality, or,
(ii) designated by the Selling Dealer as a vehicle sold for Commercial Use when reported to the vehicle's manufacturer.

So, based on the above, I "think" I'm OK in not spending the additional $250. Does anyone have actual extended warranty experience with a case like mine?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

My thoughts... get magnetic signage that can be removed. Is your vehicle outfitted for heavy work, like a ladder rack on top?

If the signage is only for advertising, but the truck isn't a heavy use vehicle, then you are probably okay. A good relationship with your service writer will probably carry more weight than the contract.

This is all just thoughts...
Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

It increases because statistically speaking, a commercial vehicle is used a lot more more & harder.

May I ask why do you have a company signage on a truck that's used 5 days per year to work with? I'd get magnets, but you will need to remove your door panels and weld or stick magnets because the body is made out of aluminum.

IMO, a commercial vehicle would be a vehicle that's 1) sold and bought brand new by a company or 2) bought by the government or other organization for commercial use (transport, police, ambulance, firefighter, etc.).

You should be fine.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

'Primarily' does not mean ten days a year. It means most of the time
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

The contract language is all that matters ultimately. By your stated use you don't meet it. Your vehicle is primarily personal use.

If a dealer hassles you about it just show them the contract language and explain your limited business usage
Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm a self-employed licensed land surveyor and I live on a busy street so some vinyl signs bring me the occasional survey work I accept once or twice a year. No racks or tool boxes.

Hopefully, someone in a similar situation, with actual experience, can chime in.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen some extended warranty's decline repairs for just having an Uber sticker in the window. I don't deal to much with Ford ESP as I'm a Chevy technician. I would think It will only be an issue if the send out an inspector to verify the failure.

Last edited by H.Racing; 11-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When it comes to warranties, especially 3rd party, they will look for every possible little reason to deny a claim. Whether it's vinyl lettering making it commercial, or missing proof for one oil change. The fine print is even more cause for misunderstanding.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:51 PM

None of my inquiries were for 3rd party warranties.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer95Stang
My thoughts... get magnetic signage that can be removed. Is your vehicle outfitted for heavy work, like a ladder rack on top?

If the signage is only for advertising, but the truck isn't a heavy use vehicle, then you are probably okay. A good relationship with your service writer will probably carry more weight than the contract.

This is all just thoughts...
Magnetic signs aren't going to stick to aluminum panels...
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (11-10-2017)