Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dont switch to ram 1500

Old 12-26-2015, 04:06 PM
pacrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default dont switch to ram 1500

in 2012 I bought a new f150 black supercrew lariat ecoboost 4x4. I had the issues with the steering racks. truck had 3 steering racks and 3 made the clunk feel in the steering wheel, especially with the hands at the 6 o'clock position. I believed they were CL & DL, 3Z054 or something like that. well at least ford replaced the racks. then 2nd week in sept. 2012 I was merging onto interstate route 80 with 3 other friends in the truck and golf clubs, the truck started still bucking and would not go over 30 mph. looking in my rear view mirror I can see vehicles skidding behind me. all I could think was I was, or my truck was going to kill someone. well it was intercooler condensation issue. ford fixed that with a plastic flap over half the intercooler and took 2 lbs. of boost off the truck. later they replaced that with an better intercooler. also I had a dreaded squeak in my rear slider that took 3 visits to ford for them to finally fix correctly. then front diff. pinion seal blew out and had to have that replaced. no big deal really, but after replacing seal, they never refilled gear lube. yes they never unscrewed the fill plug. yes I had lots of issues with truck. yes I was a loyal ford owner, bought my first new f150 june 19, 1979, yes my 21st bday. also I have bought over $220,000 of new fords in my lifetime but it was time to switch to a different brand.
so I bought a 2014 ram 1500 4x4 crew Laramie 5.7 hemi 8 speed. since 1st day of purchase, truck has a vibration at 2000 rpms. I called dealer right away and they said its the characteristic of the truck. truck was bought feb 1 2014. truck vibrated until it got warm outside. the a clunk feel in steering wheel and gas pedal was felt as temps warmed in march and got worse in april. I ttok to dealers and they replaced intermediate steering shaft. well that didn't fix it. tried to get that fixed all summer and no one would fix it. I was told by other dealer service advisors that since I had another dealer replace the shaft, they wouldn't touch it cause Chrysler would pay them to fix it. so it has been almost 2 years with winter and summer issues that Chrysler wont fix.
so now, lets say I have a 3 day trial date with jury in march 2016. I been through arbitration hearing, deposition and now 3 day trial date. I have used a total of 18 days of vacation days from work, taking my truck to dodge dealers. they don't do loaners so find your own way. so if you are thinking of switching, think twice. I think the FCC is now finding out about Chrysler and fining them. yes there are good rams out there, but if you get a bad one, you are screwed....these are all my thoughts...
Old 12-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, just WOW!!!
Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck with trucks lately....... F'ing Chrysler!!! Their trucks are bad ***** looking, I'll give'em that!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 184 Likes on 96 Posts

thats crazy; I was on the verge of getting a 2015 1500 Sport but the dealership was arrogant and didnt want to lower the price.so I got my F150 instead.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 186 Likes on 134 Posts

Man sounds like you are a magnet for bad trucks, sorry to hear.

You got to go GM or Nissan on your next one
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by <-KJP->
Man sounds like you are a magnet for bad trucks, sorry to hear.

You got to go GM or Nissan on your next one
Please don't ever buy a Nissan! Here's some reading for ya:
http://www.nissan.com/ - Click on the flashing "lawsuit against us".
Old 12-28-2015, 01:40 AM
pacrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, all sad but true. I have not enjoyed driving a new truck since may of 2012. I spent $48,500 on my 2012 f150 and my sticker on ram was $51,000. Chrysler does not back their trucks at all. I am thinking about coming back to ford but I cant go thru this again.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 339 Likes on 191 Posts

You're complaining about the Dodge having a vibration, but you serious mechanical problems with the Ford and you think the Ford is the better vehicle? You don't indicate if you tried to have Ford buy back their truck, but you seem to think since Dodge won't buy theirs back for a vibration problem that they're the enemy?

Sounds the Ford was the worst of the 2.

I'm not necessarily a Ford or Dodge fan, but seems like the Dodge is the better truck of the 2.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ford doesn't do loaners either, unless supposedly you have the extended warranty. One year and 25k mi my calipers are sticky, they say I can pay for a rental. Needless to say my truck is up for sale and I'm looking for a tacoma. I've had a few other issues with this truck and overall am not impressed
Old 12-28-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont go GM, since back when the government took over and farmed out all warranty repairs to the dealerships AND made it policy to only pay the dealer cost for said repairs.

its caused issues because a Dealer hired manager decides if the repair is under warranty, so its different across different dealers, and they dont want to do the repair because they lose money now since they only get payed cost and it takes repair space and techs that could be repairing out of warranty work for much more....so the service after the sale is crap.....i could fill a book on the drama i had trying to get stuff fixed on my Camaro, one of their upper tier vehicles and I didnt have all that many problems with it.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:58 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody4359
Ford doesn't do loaners either, unless supposedly you have the extended warranty. One year and 25k mi my calipers are sticky, they say I can pay for a rental. Needless to say my truck is up for sale and I'm looking for a tacoma. I've had a few other issues with this truck and overall am not impressed
I keep seeing this complaint frequently.

When did the dealer all of a sudden become a rental or loaner car agency?

It's not on them to get you into a rental or loaner, it's your truck and they will fix it under warranty. Yes if you have extended plan that you paid for then you get a loaner or some of the better dealers give out loaners but it's not a right that just because you bought a vehicle from them that you're entitled to a loaner every time it comes in for work.

I have two buddies with 1500's a 13 and 15 and no Robles at all. They tow 8000lbs trailers all over with no problems.

Maybe the op is just really picky? If I complained about every little vibration on a TRUCK, I'd be here for a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dont switch to ram 1500