Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does trailer status effect oil life monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Does trailer status effect oil life monitor?

I changed my oil and reset the oil life monitor January 2018. I've put 3000 miles on the truck since that oil change and it is showing 28% oil life remaining. Few weeks ago it was at 60% and then I towed my utility trailer for maybe 60 miles with a light load of about 2500 total lbs counting trailer. I was lazy and it kept defaulting to thinking a trailer was connected even though it wasn't. You have to be stationary and select no trailer under trailer status on my truck to clear trailer status. Though I wasn't in tow mode, does the oil indicator calculate oil life thinking a trailer was connected?

BTW, I drive my truck really easy and minimize idle time as it's mostly highway.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Logic says it would calculate it based on variables and multipliers like hours used, RPMs, mileage, torque applied etc...
I don't think it would change how it's calculated just because something's plugged into the 7-pin plug. It could be a 500 lb utility trailer or an 8,000 lb TT....
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes towing has major impact on the OLM, below is what Ford says:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...e-monitor.html

Old 08-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Blunt

Originally Posted by BadBoy4fun_wa
Yes towing has major impact on the OLM, below is what Ford says:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...e-monitor.html

That wasn't the question. The question was if STATUS affects it. As in, if there's something plugged into the 7-pin so the truck thinks there's a trailer but there really isn't. Or the truck thinks there's a trailer for some other reason when there isn't. In this case the answer is no because the calculations come from engine data.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

The OLM is using a different algorithm when towing. As long as "towing" is selected it will continue to do so. At your current rate (mileage) it would seem you will put on approx. 6K miles in one year after your last oil change. That would be close to the perfect time to change the oil (1 year) unless you plan on doing a lot of towing.

Regardless of mileage or type of usage the OLM will trigger at 1 year.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

When a trailer is plugged in, it will use that to adjust OLM. If a trailer is not plugged in, BUT the truck thinks one still is, then it will affect the OLM. Thats the only way the truck would know that a trailer was hooked up. It also uses fuel used, pedal amount for a given speed, etc. to determine if there was heavy weight in the bed, or climbing a grade. I would not be at all surprised that the manual says not to tow for the first 1000 miles so that it can set baselines for performance and the OLM.
The following 2 users liked this post by acdii:
misternatural (08-15-2018), Napalm (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks guys that's pretty interesting. I'll be sure to check no trailer option as soon as I disconnect the trailer next time. I have to do this or it keeps defaulting to thinking a trailer is connected.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
That wasn't the question. The question was if STATUS affects it. As in, if there's something plugged into the 7-pin so the truck thinks there's a trailer but there really isn't. Or the truck thinks there's a trailer for some other reason when there isn't. In this case the answer is no because the calculations come from engine data.
As long as your truck thinks it is towing the OLM is affected. There is a lot more data used as already spelled out plus the fact that it thinks it is towing means the data used is the towing version. It will continue to do this until it thinks the trailers isn't attached or you tell it that it isn't.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

It does have an impact on the calculation. How much? You'd have to ask the programmer!
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Blunt

Originally Posted by BadBoy4fun_wa
As long as your truck thinks it is towing the OLM is affected. There is a lot more data used as already spelled out plus the fact that it thinks it is towing means the data used is the towing version. It will continue to do this until it thinks the trailers isn't attached or you tell it that it isn't.
I'd like to see some documentation on this because I really don't think plugging something into the 7-pin would change any variable. What would it use as a baseline trailer weight? You have anything from 300-9000 lbs or, even more extremes, which are HUGE differences in oil life. The only way it could be calculated is by engine data.

And what about when you tow something that doesn't plug in like a farm trailer? Are farmers ruining their trucks because the oil life monitor is incorrect? No, it would use engine data.

You can also buy hitch-mounted backup lights that plug into the trailer plugs. If the plug really made a difference, then these people would be getting "change oil" messages far earlier than needed.

Quick Reply: Does trailer status effect oil life monitor?