Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my F150 have a trailer wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does my F150 have a trailer wiring harness?

Sounds like a noob question, but I'm baffled. I've searched, read the manual, called the parts dept at the dealer I bought the truck from last week.....and still can't confirm if the flat 4 pin connector under the bumper is for a trailer or for trailer braking or something else. Can someone look at the picture below and tell me if the flat 4 pin connector is for my trailer's 4 pin connector (lights/brake lights/turn signals)? I ask because I don't have a "trailer tow package". It's a 2015 XLT with a 300a package. I installed that Curt hitch last week. Now I can't figure out if I need to now add a harness. Yes I'd plug a trailer in to test it, but they are folded, standing, and buried behind a pile of motorcycles and UTVs.
Attached Thumbnails Does my F150 have a trailer wiring harness?-flat-4.jpg  

Last edited by maverickma; 04-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

That is for lights and what not but is there wiring behind it?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 16XLT
That is for lights and what not but is there wiring behind it?

Yep, went out and took another picture from underneath. Appears that it's part of a larger harness.
Attached Thumbnails Does my F150 have a trailer wiring harness?-hitch-wires.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

The flat 4 plug is for a small trailer - no brakes and no charging capability. If you are to tow a large trailer with brakes you will need to install the 7 pin plug that includes trailer brakes and charging capability.
You will also need a trailer brake controller on the dash.
If you have any electrical wiring experience, you can make the upgrade. If not, you should have a trailer place or Uhaul do the job. Ford can do but will most likely cost more.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Ok perfect thanks Joe. That's what I needed to know. My trailers are small and both have a flat 4 pin. They weigh 400lbs each and the total weight is less than 1,500lbs total with vehicle it's carrying. Like a flea on a horse's *** to that truck.

I swear I searched on that one. I guess they put that on their stock since the bumper has the hole for a towing ball.....which would be for a smaller trailer. There is no mention of it in the manual though, only the snazzy trailer wiring harness. Doug
Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Good deal - you're set.
Plug it in, check the lights and go.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think they put it there because.. well... it is a truck and chances are that at sometime in it's life it'll be asked to tow something.

-jeffrey
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM

True Jeff, plus it came standard with "trailer sway" control so how else would the truck know to use "trailer sway" control unless a trailer was attached. I would think this would be how...plug the trailer in and she knows to activate it. At least I think that's how it would work.

Originally Posted by jhicken
I think they put it there because.. well... it is a truck and chances are that at sometime in it's life it'll be asked to tow something.

-jeffrey

Quick Reply: Does my F150 have a trailer wiring harness?