Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your 18+ V8 hesitate/surge/misfire?
Yes, it bucks like a bronco
33.70%
No, smooth sailing!
66.30%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyones 18+ NOT have the rough shift / hesitation sensation?

Old 03-31-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Does anyones 18+ NOT have the rough shift / hesitation sensation?

I want this issue gone from my truck - its the one thing keeping me from loving it completely! I also dont want the dealer keeping it for 3 weeks trying to diagnose a widespread issue that is merely a software issue. Just curious since i dont it mentioned much, does anyone here have a V8 and not notice 3rd gear hesitation? I notice it in other gears as well but 3rd gear under load is the worst, i can actually see the truck drop RPMs on the tach. Poll attached.
The following 2 users liked this post by ezekiel198:
HoustonScrew (10-18-2021), my04gt (11-08-2021)
Old 03-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I've noticed it as well. I know it "skips" 2nd gear but I'm begining to wonder if in fact that is a quick shift where it hits 2nd for a second and then 3rd. Like you said you can see it on the tach but it does not show up on the gear representation in the cluster. Another contributing factor to my thought process is I've noticed that the gear indicator is always behind and seems to be an "after thought" when it comes to gear representation. The transmission will shift and a second or even two later is when the gear indicator will switch.

This by now means is an excuse to the hard shifts these transmissions are known for. Just yesterday I was in a parking lot and shifted from reverse to drive. When I did this I thought someone ran into me from behind. It was a really loud bang as it went into drive. I'd bet you could hear it across the parking lot that holds 200 cars. No light came on and it shifted normal as I drove forward but it's just another random issue I've noticed with this 10 speed on top of hard shifts even when warmed up and the annoying gear skipping it does.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Utility Guy

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I am not sure if I would classify the shifting on my truck as being "rough" or just the nature of the 10 Speed transmission. It really feels as if the valve body has a lot less restriction than the older 6 speed and 4 speed transmissions and Ford is using software algorithms to attempt to prevent the feel of a vehicle with a "shift kit" installed. 95% of the time, my truck shifts like a dream. Then I get that one shift that jolts me back to attention and I wonder if I am driving my friends Towncar that had the J-Mod performed on the valve body. And again, it is not a rough shift, but it is more abrupt than the driveline would like rattling everything from the back of the transfer case to the differential.

As far as hesitation, I don't feel any of that in my truck. It just pulls hard when I step on the gas.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine only has an issue during the first shift cycle after sitting awhile. I mostly notice it after a day at the office and I get back in the truck and pull out of the parking lot onto the street. 1-3 will be fine, but 3-5 (or 3-4) will hesitate and take longer to get into 5th (or 4th) gear than normal. It really only does it that one time, and then it shifts as it should for the rest of the time driving until it sits for many hours again. I don't like it and wish it would stop doing that... but it really only does it during the scenario above.
The following users liked this post:
Edelpin (08-24-2021)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by ezekiel198
I want this issue gone from my truck - its the one thing keeping me from loving it completely! I also dont want the dealer keeping it for 3 weeks trying to diagnose a widespread issue that is merely a software issue. Just curious since i dont it mentioned much, does anyone here have a V8 and not notice 3rd gear hesitation? I notice it in other gears as well but 3rd gear under load is the worst, i can actually see the truck drop RPMs on the tach. Poll attached.
Its a software issue and it wont be fixed until ford revises their propriety trans tune. Grab a programmer and tune from 5star and your truck will shift better than any oem truck transmission on the market. And no, it wont void your warranty. That's why we have the Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act. And no, an aftermarket trans tune doesn't shift rough or hard. The truck shifts absolutely perfect. No bucking, no hesitation, no bogging. Nice and smooth. Always in the right gear when I need it.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

When mine is cold it sometimes has a hard shift from 3 to 4, but that goes away after the initial start up and everything warms up, then it shifts really smooth.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:06 PM

Received 355 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
Its a software issue and it wont be fixed until ford revises their propriety trans tune. Grab a programmer and tune from 5star and your truck will shift better than any oem truck transmission on the market. And no, it wont void your warranty. That's why we have the Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act. And no, an aftermarket trans tune doesn't shift rough or hard. The truck shifts absolutely perfect. No bucking, no hesitation, no bogging. Nice and smooth. Always in the right gear when I need it.
Depending on what fails, Ford can absolutely void your warranty, and their lawyers are better than ours.

Agreed on the tranny tuning though.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine has the hesitation, always has. That is actually the one thing that has always annoyed me.

But I have a newer issue now and I'm trying to find out if I have a driver issue, software issue or a legit mechanical issue.

Twice now my truck has seemingly gotten stuck in no mans land when shifting and it stops accelerating. It's almost like it gets lost between gears so it decides smash it into 2 gears at once seemingly binding things up. A simple letting off the gas for a second then getting back on it fixes it right up. It very well could be how I drive as driving the CVT in my Corolla every day leads my foot and brain to do things I normally wouldnt do (like hit the gas once a shift starts happening). In the Corolla that keeps it accelerating at the pace I want, but it seems to **** the truck off. It's probably time to ditch the Whipple tune and get something with proper trans tuning.

Otherwise the truck seems OK other than the fairly common 5.0/A10 gripes.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by smdandb2
Mine has the hesitation, always has. That is actually the one thing that has always annoyed me.

But I have a newer issue now and I'm trying to find out if I have a driver issue, software issue or a legit mechanical issue.

Twice now my truck has seemingly gotten stuck in no mans land when shifting and it stops accelerating. It's almost like it gets lost between gears so it decides smash it into 2 gears at once seemingly binding things up. A simple letting off the gas for a second then getting back on it fixes it right up. It very well could be how I drive as driving the CVT in my Corolla every day leads my foot and brain to do things I normally wouldnt do (like hit the gas once a shift starts happening). In the Corolla that keeps it accelerating at the pace I want, but it seems to **** the truck off. It's probably time to ditch the Whipple tune and get something with proper trans tuning.

Otherwise the truck seems OK other than the fairly common 5.0/A10 gripes.
It's good to keep on the gas during a shift... keeps the transmission pressure up and provides a quick shift. So, I don't think that would be your problem unless you're letting off and then smashing it right when it thinks it's time to upshift but you giving it power all of a sudden causes it to downshift. Even that shouldn't really cause a problem if the programming is good.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

put it in sport mode

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyones 18+ NOT have the rough shift / hesitation sensation?