Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 2016 doors freeze up too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do 2016 doors freeze up too?

I have a 2015 XLt 302A Supercrew and when temperature is barely below freezing (-2C) rear doors and sometimes front doors won't unlock with electric unlock button. The problem has been ongoing since November when I got it. I have taken it back to dealer and it still isn't fixed right even after TSB service was done. I know this has been mentioned in previous forums but I'm curious to know if this happens on 2016 units. Can 2016 owners please respond?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I can`t say that I have had the problem and I'm in Quebec.

I just took delivery of my 2016 Lariat Screw on Feb 19th, and dealt with severe cold and the freezing rain conditions that followed a few weeks ago.

I was worried at first based on many of the comments here, but can't say that I have had any of the issues mentioned here aside from the leather seat wrinkles.
The following users liked this post:
150finallygot1 (03-25-2016)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, 2016 do the same. I don't have the problem of the door handles freezing, but once they're open and you jump in and try and close the door it just rebounds off the frame. The locking mechanism itself gets bound up. I called the dealership and they told me it would be a few months before they could get the parts because they're on backorder. Sounds like they didn't want to deal with it regardless! I found a few flips of the lock/unlock button seems to do the trick, otherwise I have to physically play with the locking mechanism to get it into position to catch the lock. Pretty frustrating for $60k+ truck!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Many posts on this, yes.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had the door handle issues before ... but today I tried to hit the power lock button on the inside of the driver's door and nothing happened. It would not lock or unlock, not a sound from it like it was even trying. It was as if the button was dead. So there's that now ...
Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2016 and I have the problem too, the rear doors are the worst by far....if it's cold enough the doors won't open or if they do open they won't latch. I had to drive to work one morning holding a strap tied to my rear door handle to keep it closed....it's got to the point that I won't even touch the rear doors if it's below zero. The dealer says they don't know when the repair parts will be in stock. It's definitely frustrating, but fortunately we don't have too long of a cold season where I live.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kerry2
I have a 2016 and I have the problem too, the rear doors are the worst by far....if it's cold enough the doors won't open or if they do open they won't latch. I had to drive to work one morning holding a strap tied to my rear door handle to keep it closed....it's got to the point that I won't even touch the rear doors if it's below zero. The dealer says they don't know when the repair parts will be in stock. It's definitely frustrating, but fortunately we don't have too long of a cold season where I live.

BTW, when I called the dealership and gave them the TSB number for the fix they told me they've never heard of such a problem...and I live in New England so I knew they were full of ****. It's about a 4 hour labor fix so the dealerships don't get full labor charges with factory fixes. And Ford still won't issue a recall...
Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by brnr17
I have had the door handle issues before ... but today I tried to hit the power lock button on the inside of the driver's door and nothing happened. It would not lock or unlock, not a sound from it like it was even trying. It was as if the button was dead. So there's that now ...
Were all doors affected or just a particular one? That's the issue I'm having but on one door only (rear driver side). It's very much like an electrical issue where there is just no power going to the lock. No problem with the actual latches yet.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon

Were all doors affected or just a particular one? That's the issue I'm having but on one door only (rear driver side). It's very much like an electrical issue where there is just no power going to the lock. No problem with the actual latches yet.
That's exact same as I am having with my 2016 Lariat. Only drivers rear door doing it. Actuator doing nothing when lock or unlock pushed. I can manually lift up lock and open and close the door without any issues, just have to remember to manually lock it all the time.

Last edited by Markc1; 02-14-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My '15 has never had this problem, even as low as 10 degrees F.

Quick Reply: Do 2016 doors freeze up too?