Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Baking Headlights and Painting Headlight Inserts

Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY: Baking Headlights and Painting Headlight Inserts

Separated from my original thread so that it can be a little more organized. Feel free to ask questions. Also I assume no responsibility for your mistakes. PM me if you are interested in me doing this for you.

1. Remove headlight as described

2. remove screw that holds black plastic to lense, grommets, bulbs, and mounting bracket (bracket uses Torque bolts). The internal wires will stay, tuck those in so they dont hang out.

3. preheat oven to 250 degree, lower the oven grate to allow easy fitment of the entire headlight into the oven. Cover grate in aluminum foil and place cookie pan on top of foil. place headlight into oven with the black plastic side down.

4. Have a plethora of flat head screw drivers available (very large to small) and mechanics gloves in order to man handle the hot plastic. Also have 2 cans of spray paint of the color of choice, 2x tubes of BLACK 4oz silicon or polyurethane glue, and a Torque 10 screw driver. YOU ALSO NEED A 2nd PERSON TO HELP HOLD IT WHILE YOU PRY.

5. cook for 15 -/+5 minutes, adjust for the starting temperature of the headlight (if its cold outside add a few minutes, if its hot outside subtract a few, if its 70 degrees just leave it at 15)

6. Do not get in a hurry, it will take 3-4 cycles of heating and prying to get open. Start on the 2 pronged edge of the light (the part of the light that is closer to the middle of the truck) prying with a screw driver. Pry in small sections working your way from the U middle portion of the light to the top and bottom portions of the light. eventually you can use your hands to spread it apart.Heat then pry, heat then pry, and heat and pry. you can stop prying when you feel the glue start to harden again. I should clarify that you need to reduce the time in oven if the headlight is still hot after the prior cycle. Short Stents of heating then prying after the initial heating is best. Give the black plastic a rest to cool off if it feels soft. A Heat gun can help get the OEM black polyurethane glue off without the use of an oven.

7. DO NOT TOUCH the inside of the lense or chrome sections of the headlight, the finger prints and misc material are impossible to remove and keep clean. Cleaning the lense leaves visible tiny scratches that are magnified at night by the lamp.

8. Use the Torque 10 driver to unscrew the headlight insert and reflectors

9. Spray the headlight insert in light coats of the spray paint. Usually takes 3x coats, remember you can easily add paint but wont have fun removing paint.... ALLOW PAINT TO FULLY DRY BEFORE INSTALLING

10. While allowing the coats to dry you need to be removing ALL stock polyurethane black glue from the headlight housing. This must be removed in order to allow new glue to seal the unit. You can reheat the housing repeatedly in order to loosen the black glue.

11. Blow out the headlight housing with air to remove debri prior to putting it back together.

12. Delicately replace the headlight insert into the lense and secure into place with screws. this includes the reflectors. Ensure you do not make contact between insert and the lense as the paint is delicate and will rub or flake off very easily. Screw the torque 10 screws in that are positioned closest to the outside of the truck first as it holds the insert in place better than doing the inner screws first.

13. Apply liberal amounts of your BLACK silicone or polyurethane glue to the groove in the black headlight housing, ensure the groove is filled as a general guideline. Important areas to fill are the turns in the groove and the side of the light that is closest to the middle of the truck to ensure sealing.

14. allow the headlight and glue to cure overnight before reinstalling

15. Follow this guideline for realigning your headlights after reinstallation

Last edited by kedrin; 01-24-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:37 AM
I miss on purpose...

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice.

Lol at using the word "cook" though...
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice work. Still can't get myself confident enough to tackle opening the LED headlamps on mine yet :/
Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insert questions

Hi Kedrin,

First time on here. Have only had my F150 for a few weeks and still learning so if my question is basic I'm sorry.

Did you have to buy an insert to paint and put in or were you able to use all parts that are already within the headlight and just remove paint and reinsert? It didn't seem clear from directions.

Also is your grille stock? If so, what trim do you have? If not, where did you get it?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Baking Headlights and Painting Headlight Inserts