Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer's attempt at getting me into a 2018

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Dealer's attempt at getting me into a 2018

Interesting trip to the dealer today for service. I get a call from a salesman wanting to talk to me about trading in my truck and getting a heavily discounted 2018. I know I am not going to trade it in, but I want to talk to them to see how much my trade-in is worth considering the wreck I had in June caused the frame to be replaced.

My current ride is a 2016 F-150 Lariat 501a sport package that I have added wheel well liners, power fold/extend trailer tow mirrors with the switch, a trailer brake controller, hill descent control switch and numerous Forscan changes to it to make it "mine". I've also had the front grill and bumper replaced with Raptor knockoffs and smoked headlights with LED bulbs in them. Even the salesman liked the look of the truck.

They then proceeded to do an evaluation to see what the trade-in value was and see what they could put me into. My accident in June was my fault and I know it. The damage was to the front end, but the frame had a spot that was the width of the frame rail and about 1" tall where the crossmember is attached that was bent that couldn't be straightened out, so the insurance company paid for a frame replacement. The dealer found out about the frame replacement when they pulled the truck info and came back to me with a very low ball offer to take it for trade-in, but they couldn't sell it because of the "structural damage" to the truck and they would just take it to the auction to get rid of it.

I almost laughed out loud when they told me they would only give me $18,000 for the truck as "auction value". If the truck hadn't been in an accident, the trade-in value according to KBB is between $34-36k. Then they really tried to insult me by telling me that they could work it out so that my payment wouldn't increase and put me in a "similar 2018 MY truck". I said to myself, "let's play this game". I'm not about to trade the truck in and take a $20k hit on it. So they proceeded to look in their inventory for a "similarly equipped 2018" truck.

They then took me out and showed me a 2018 XLT 302A packaged truck in Ruby Red. Don't get me wrong, the truck was nice, but going from a Lariat down to an XLT is a "great deal"? Sorry, I told him I wasn't interested in it. I would be going from leather to cloth interior (he said they could add the leather), no dual climate, no heated/cooled seats, no power fold/extend mirrors, but it was a 4wd truck was the only plus. Still had the 5.0 Coyote motor in it, but that was about it. After I told him going from the Lariat to the XLT was like going from a Ferrari to a Toyota, he was dumbfounded.

e was trying to tell me I was taking a hit on the value of my truck when I trade it in or sell it anywhere I go and the best thing to do was to roll all of it into the lower equipped truck and start fresh. I then explained that I knew going in that I was going to take a hit on the trade-in value, but that I wasn't going to take a $15-20k hit on it just to get out of it. If I kept the truck, paid it off and still drove it, I haven't lost any value in it because I still have the Lariat package, all the mods that I've done to it and I could still add things to it that I want and not have to step down to the XLT package.

He kept trying to tell me I needed to take the hit and trade it in while he could still offer me that much for the trade-in value. I told him in no way was I going to take a hit on the trade-in value of that much money and step down a package level like that. He even tried to tell me that with the incentives on the 18's and available finance options, he could still put me in the truck for what I'm currently paying for my Lariat equipped truck. Sticker on the truck was $300 over what my Lariat was priced at 2 yrs ago for a less equipped truck.

Needless to say, I'll keep on paying for my truck and be happy that the body shop did such a great job on replacing the frame and the rest of the damage body and making it look like new again. It's amazing what some dealers will do to clear inventory!!!

Last edited by Griffalo; 01-10-2019 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Put in some "formatting" for those that don't want to read it cause it was all one paragraph.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just like the flyers they mail out saying they need inventory and your trade in value is higher then ever
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

Yeah don’t jack with it till your ready for a new one. They are just looking for low hanging fruit or trying to burn time.

I had a reoccurring problem on my old truck when it was new. Was gonna lemon it but they told me to try to trade it first(I know looks bad even for Ford). Servicing dealer offered $ 17k, pretty insulting. When I got off the phone with Ford they had me take it to the original dealer servicing it again and they fixed it and gave me an extended warranty.

The reason I’m saying this is because 2 years 30k miles later I was getting service at $17k dealership and asked them to appraise it while in there and they offered me 33,500. I called a buddy of mine looking for a truck and told him 35k and it’s his.
The following users liked this post:
Griffalo (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm curious. Would you have done the trade if it was another Lariat, and what's the advantage of 4x4 in Texas?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 AM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

I am not trying to stir the pot, but I do not know many people who would knowingly purchase a used vehicle with a major structural accident (i.e. frame replacement). I am not familiar with the costs of a frame replacement, but for arguments sake let us assume the following:
2016 Ford F150 Trade-In Value: $34K-36K per your estimate
2012 Ford F150 Trade-In Value: $16-18K (Nada)

Hypothetical frame replacement costs: $15-18K with corresponding body damage. Your 2016 truck gets repaired. The 2012 is totaled (same damage) and a salvage title is issued. Salvage value is about 50% less and comparable to what they offered you on trade. Granted your truck did not have a salvage title issued, but the comparison is the important part.. I agree with your decision to keep the truck since you know the actual repairs and are happy.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
I'm curious. Would you have done the trade if it was another Lariat, and what's the advantage of 4x4 in Texas?
You realize Texas has parts of the state that get substantial snowfall (and ice) every year, along with many, many miles of trails, access roads, etc. that require 4x4, right?
The following 3 users liked this post by tvsjr:
dannytexas (01-10-2019), GriffcoJ01 (01-10-2019), perfectlyfrank (01-15-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:38 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

So you're surprised and upset because the car dealership salesman is behaving like a car dealership salesman?

It's like the Siegfried and Roy incident, where the tiger attacked Roy... Chris Rock summed it up best, "The tiger didn't go crazy, the tiger went tiger".

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 01-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wanna Ride:
Bubba Bean (01-10-2019), chimmike (01-11-2019), SCrewYou (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:43 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
Same advantage in any region... resale.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 AM
2018 XLT FX4

Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Typical shyster. If the frame was "fixed" then I would agree that your resale would take a hit. However, you state that your frame was "replaced", by what I would assume is a brand new frame. Therefore, there should not be such a drastic hit on trade-in. I would seek out a different dealer next time.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,135 Likes on 2,836 Posts

ah yes the old cold call

and LOL at the auction bit. It sounds like your truck was fixed properly after it was hit. Does that affect resale value? sure it does but not THAT much. Its not like it was a write off that was brought back from the dead

Last edited by djfllmn; 01-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer's attempt at getting me into a 2018