Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed me (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Angry Dealer screwed me (Long Post)

So when I bought my 2015 F150 it basically had everything I wanted except Navi. The dealer said for $1300 they would order a new headunit from Ford with my vin and install it so I have Navi. Fast forward to 2 days ago. I drop my truck off to have the alarm and headunit installed. Driving my truck home I notice I now have the seat heater/cooler buttons on my SYNC screen. I find this odd since my truck was built early April and the headunit was built late June. I get home and see I have an A5 card which makes me mad because by now it should be an A6. Finally backing into my driveway I see that SYNC no longer shows the truck with the proximity sensors in the top right hand corner. I email dealer, they call me and I take my truck in. They say "oh well this isn't a genuine Ford upgrade". I say "My problem isn't with the GPS it's with the fact that my headunit is old". They say it must be a "bad unit" so they ordered a replacement. I go to pick up my truck and now there's two small scratches inside the door. Honestly I'm trying so hard to not rip my hair out but I'm so frustrated. Sorry for the long rant.

I guess my main question though is how hard is it to put a system from a 2014 truck in ours? Because I'm really thinking they did that to save a buck.

What would you guys do?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I would have just ordered it with nav.. Sorry about the dealer issue though. I don't get why folks buy stripped down trucks or xlts and then add leather, nav, etc. in all our many mods it hardly saves that much over ordering from the factory. I have always cared less of a package had stuff I did not want or use, when I sell the next person may want that junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by FX4life:
DemonGT (07-04-2015), jRedondox (07-06-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I asked my dealer about putting a head unit for a 5.0 in my 3.5 EB 501a, not for nav, but to delete the fake motor noise and they told me it couldn't be done because of things like you mentioned. Climate seats, back up grids, etc.

They said ford uses a modular system and will only authorize replacing components specific to the VIN.

So if your VIN doesnt specify nav then ford won't cover the replacement of the head unit with any part number other than the one specific to the VIN
Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeah if they stole one from another truck it has to match all the options. Obviously it didn't.

For $600 you could have sent me your head unit as you call it (APIM) and I would have added OEM nav to it and given you an A6 card to go with it.
The following users liked this post:
kendive (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by baxzilla
What would you guys do?
Never trust a salesman that tells you a stereo/nav/mft/whatever install is an easy swap. Get your money back and do aftermarket.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo 2
Never trust a salesman that tells you a stereo/nav/mft/whatever install is an easy swap. Get your money back and do aftermarket.
It depends on who you know and where you are at.

I can add OEM NAV to a vehicle in person in 30-45 mins without taking anything apart.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Dealer screwed me (Long Post)

Originally Posted by jm061
It depends on who you know and where you are at.

I can add OEM NAV to a vehicle in person in 30-45 mins without taking anything apart.
How much does that cost ?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by FX4life
I would have just ordered it with nav.. Sorry about the dealer issue though. I don't get why folks buy stripped down trucks or xlts and then add leather, nav, etc. in all our many mods it hardly saves that much over ordering from the factory. I have always cared less of a package had stuff I did not want or use, when I sell the next person may want that junk.
I would have much rathered to order but it just worked out better to get this truck. Trust me I'm kicking myself big time now.

And I understand the whole can't add NAV argument, but my thought it look up a truck that has NAV, reorder a new unit for that truck. Put it in my truck. Simple as that.

They are supposed to call me in a few days regarding the fix. If they can't fix it I'll do what you guys said, get a refund and find someone else.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by baxzilla
I would have much rathered to order but it just worked out better to get this truck. Trust me I'm kicking myself big time now.

And I understand the whole can't add NAV argument, but my thought it look up a truck that has NAV, reorder a new unit for that truck. Put it in my truck. Simple as that.

They are supposed to call me in a few days regarding the fix. If they can't fix it I'll do what you guys said, get a refund and find someone else.
The problem with that is they send a blank module. The programming happens when it is in the vehicle and the programming is VIN specific.

Ford also keeps record of APIM serial numbers and when they have been replaced.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jm061
The problem with that is they send a blank module. The programming happens when it is in the vehicle and the programming is VIN specific.

Ford also keeps record of APIM serial numbers and when they have been replaced.
Ford also keeps record of APIM serial numbers and when they have been replaced.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for all the questions. So if I'm understanding you correctly it should be programmed when it is in my truck, but if it has the GPS unit pre-installed shouldn't that work also or am I over simplifying it?

My big complaint is the when I bought the truck the dealer said this was not a problem at all. Now all of a suddent im getting the run around. Push come to shove and they can't I'll be getting in contact with you.

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed me (Long Post)