Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Said "We're not going to waste our time"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Dealer Said "We're not going to waste our time"

Wanted the dealer to see about the slight vibration that just started happening at about 2400 miles on my new 2015 2WD Lariat. They said because of the 2.5 level and new rims and tires they didn't want to even look at it...even after the tech drove it and confirmed there was a slight vibration. I had the wheels checked before and they balanced perfectly. I put the level and wheels on at about 800 miles and it drove like glass with them installed until just now. WTF??

Does anyone know...does a level just in the front change the driveline angle? Could this be it?

Only reason I noticed it was that it's been smooth even with the mods (if you can call them mods) for 1200 miles.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

try another dealer. or return it back to stock and take it back in. a level shouldn't cause the vibration lots of truck with levels and no vibration.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (05-10-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

With aftermarket tires, rims and level they will most likely blame the non factory equipment. (Easy out for them.) You may have to put it back to stock to get their full attention.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

If you still have the stock wheels and tires I would try putting them on and see if it persist. My fuel wheels and bfg k02 have a slight shake at 70 and I've had them balanced a few times and still didn't fix it. Tossed my stockers on to verify if it was the wheels/tires and the vibration went away. So, I guess moral of the story is I wouldn't rule out the wheels and tires even if they have been balanced properly. I know you didn't have the vibe for 1200 miles or whatever but I would say it's still worth the shot.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by antho
If you still have the stock wheels and tires I would try putting them on and see if it persist. My fuel wheels and bfg k02 have a slight shake at 70 and I've had them balanced a few times and still didn't fix it. Tossed my stockers on to verify if it was the wheels/tires and the vibration went away. So, I guess moral of the story is I wouldn't rule out the wheels and tires even if they have been balanced properly. I know you didn't have the vibe for 1200 miles or whatever but I would say it's still worth the shot.
I've had this happen to me too...I was shocked to find out how many bad tires leave the factory
Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM
DR_

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

You put E rated tires that are a lot heavier than stock. Any imbalance will be magnified with those heavy tires.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 563 Likes on 402 Posts

A road force balance should determine if it's a tire (or rim) issue.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cant blame the dealer. Warranty costs to investigate will be declined due to non-production equipment on a vehicle. Now put it back to stock and have the same issue, then there should be no question they should investigate.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Keep in mind that these trucks have the most woefully inadequate shocks I've ever seen mounted on the rear from the factory. I just went from stock 18s to 285 75 17 e rated tires and the stock shocks allow them to bounce on even a smooth road surface, causing a vibration, even though they were balanced. The stock shocks are unable to dampen the heavier tires. A shock upgrade may help here if your tires are heavy.......Larger tires will go out of balance during use to a more noticeable degree than smaller tires. The ability of a shock to keep the tire on the road makes a difference here. Not saying that's it, just a suggestion......

Last edited by Sportmode; 05-08-2017 at 02:01 PM.
tomjv (05-10-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Another reason I'm keeping it stock. People always say that if something breaks, the dealer has to prove that what you did caused it. Not always true. And then there are cases like this where they won't even look at it because it's been modified. Like others said, the best bet is to make it stock and bring it back in. If you no longer have vibrations when it's back to stock, then they won't do anything to help you. You'll have to just put up with the vibrations, or keep it stock. But vibrations could wear things out faster (shocks, driveline joints, diff/trans gears, wheel bearings, etc).
Droog (05-10-2017)