Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer replaced pinon seal without touching the diff fill plug?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dealer replaced pinon seal without touching the diff fill plug?

I just got back from my dealer,
They were suppose to replacing a leaking pinon seal under warranty on my 2018 F150,

I get the truck back and the diff plug looks completely untouched with a nice coat of dusty dirt all around it and below it.

The front of the diff was not cleaned off either and still had oil all over it.

The parts list shows they replaced the driveshaft bolts when I can obviously see they were reused and the dirty originals. For some reason brake caliper pins kits were also on the invoice and I verified all that looks untouched.

Did the dealer even do the work they billed Ford for?

Last edited by index1489; 06-17-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Not if all those things don’t look brand new.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Remove the plug and make sure its full of oil. The plug doesn't look too dusty. Im sure they at least topped it off.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by RJ06FX4
Remove the plug and make sure its full of oil. The plug doesn't look too dusty. Im sure they at least topped it off.
If they did, there’d be some sort of minimal and visible sign of it. Even at the minimum, there’d be a even just a trace of a slightly wet area or scuff mark from the drive tool, in the plug. This alone doesn’t cause alarm, but all the items he noticed... if this is even close to accurate, this work wasn't performed.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I would disagree on the drain plug showing any signs of removal. Those are fill plugs, not lugs. I've had the fills in my Jeep on/off more times than I can count and there's no impact marks on them (lots of oil though). I doubt they would put an impact on unless they felt like wearing gear oil.
That being said, I would expect oil marks running down the dif from the refill.

Pull the plug and dip your fingertip in to see what the fluid looks like to tell for sure.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Havyek
I would disagree on the drain plug showing any signs of removal. Those are fill plugs, not lugs. I've had the fills in my Jeep on/off more times than I can count and there's no impact marks on them (lots of oil though). I doubt they would put an impact on unless they felt like wearing gear oil.
That being said, I would expect oil marks running down the dif from the refill.

Pull the plug and dip your fingertip in to see what the fluid looks like to tell for sure.
My point was... there’d be SOME sort of indication of even the slightest disturbance. Wet fingerprints, a tool scuff... something. There’s nt even any trace of dust disturbance. All of that along with used/original bolts reinstalled, and sold as new... all of this in totality cries out BS on their part.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Just make sure its full. Its not hard. They dont have to dribble oil everywhere when they add it. They are standing under a lift and can probably tell before it gushes out. But either way i would want to know if they really did fill it up or not. Dont want to run low on oil.

Last edited by RJ06FX4; 06-18-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if that was the case, which I doubt any tech would not fill it until it ran out, the threads of the plug would not have dusty dirt on them like that, that plug was never removed.

Even the thread sealant around it when you look closely is all full of old dirt.
The following users liked this post:
Wanna Ride (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 260 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by index1489
Even if that was the case, which I doubt any tech would not fill it until it ran out, the threads of the plug would not have dusty dirt on them like that, that plug was never removed.

Even the thread sealant around it when you look closely is all full of old dirt.
Take a peak at the 3 and 6 o'clock positions in your second photo. It looks like the thread sealant was indeed broken. You have documented it with pictures, take it off, check the oil and put it back on. After you do that, see if it still looks 'dusty' without tool marks or like a three year old who just ate a greasy burger had his hands all over it and the plug is all beat up. At least then you will know if it actually has oil in it and what the condition is. Alternatively, bring it back to the dealer, talk to the manager and get them to check it with you.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by index1489

Did the dealer even do the work they billed Ford for?

Did the back cover come off? If not where did the 3 qts oil go? Resealed means rear cover?

Were the caliper bolt kits done on TSB or recall? (Probably not)

Whole thing looks really suspect. If they are a thief let Ford know as well as everybody you know.

GD

Quick Reply: Dealer replaced pinon seal without touching the diff fill plug?