Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer recommends injector cleaning after 35k

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dealer recommends injector cleaning after 35k

I brought the truck in for rough idle and misfire under certain conditions. My dealership had someone ride along and recommended that I have the injectors and hpfp cleaned for 120$. Also to clean the throttle body which I can perform on my own.

I'm almost tempted to do it if someone has any experience with the service on their own vehicle.

2017 10 speed 3.5 gen 2 eb

Idles rough when ac is full blast.

Idle recovery misfire when coming to a complete stop.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
I brought the truck in for rough idle and misfire under certain conditions. My dealership had someone ride along and recommended that I have the injectors and hpfp cleaned for 120$. Also to clean the throttle body which I can perform on my own.

I'm almost tempted to do it if someone has any experience with the service on their own vehicle.

2017 10 speed 3.5 gen 2 eb

Idles rough when ac is full blast.

Idle recovery misfire when coming to a complete stop.
You are under 36,000 miles. Tell them you want it fixed right and that you won't be paying anything for the repair. Not your responsibility to pay and fuel injector cleaning at 35k is crazy.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmcfadin
You are under 36,000 miles. Tell them you want it fixed right and that you won't be paying anything for the repair. Not your responsibility to pay and fuel injector cleaning at 35k is crazy.
just because you are under 36k miles doesn't mean that the repair is warrantable,
Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

If the "cleaning" is a BG injector service or similar, I would be extremely hesitant to do it. They inject a cleaner solution through the fuel system, but here's the problem...

Let's say it actually works and dislodges gunk from the injectors and valves. You then pass that stuff, along with the fuel system cleaner solution, through your turbos and then through the catalytic converters. Personally, I would not do that kind of service as it likely shortens the life of the turbo's and catalytic converters.

As for the rough idle, I bet it's not injector related at all. I'm betting that the gap has opened up on the spark plugs. These EB motors eat spark plugs. Every 30k miles is not uncommon for a plug change. I'd start by pulling a couple of plugs and checking condition and gap. If over .030" gap, that is likely your problem.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
just because you are under 36k miles doesn't mean that the repair is warrantable,
I agree with this sentiment in general, but I'd imagine "rough idle" and "misfire" falls a warranty type fix.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedCompression
I agree with this sentiment in general, but I'd imagine "rough idle" and "misfire" falls a warranty type fix.
i would tend to agree as well
Old 06-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Your dealer mechanics are freaking idiots. On a side note, I too think this should be under warranty.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Wasn't there a memo from Ford to dealers to quit recommending these snake oil "treatments" that aren't on the maintenance schedule for the truck?
The following 2 users liked this post by tvsjr:
rbird2 (06-05-2019), S14suspense (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by tvsjr
Wasn't there a memo from Ford to dealers to quit recommending these snake oil "treatments" that aren't on the maintenance schedule for the truck?
Honda specifically says in the manual to not do these services. Yet, my Dad's dealer in S FL told my Dad it was practically required. Emptied his pocket of a few hundred dollars and likely shortened the life of his car.

Pissed me off to no end. Many dealers will do anything to make a buck and don't give a darn. BG and Daytona run huge promotions and spiff the heck out of dealer employees. They get big kickbacks with these services. Enough to make a huge impact on their paychecks. Makes it hard to stop.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sholxgt
If the "cleaning" is a BG injector service or similar, I would be extremely hesitant to do it. They inject a cleaner solution through the fuel system, but here's the problem...

Let's say it actually works and dislodges gunk from the injectors and valves. You then pass that stuff, along with the fuel system cleaner solution, through your turbos and then through the catalytic converters. Personally, I would not do that kind of service as it likely shortens the life of the turbo's and catalytic converters.

As for the rough idle, I bet it's not injector related at all. I'm betting that the gap has opened up on the spark plugs. These EB motors eat spark plugs. Every 30k miles is not uncommon for a plug change. I'd start by pulling a couple of plugs and checking condition and gap. If over .030" gap, that is likely your problem.
But aren't my cats covered under a 10 year warranty? My truck is covered through ESP for 105k miles until 2024 or 25 I can't remember. Also, I changed the plugs already. Didn't change anything. All my old plugs were at .030"

Right it's maintenance according to the service manager

i would tend to agree as well
What do you suggest the problem could be?

Originally Posted by rngtrtl
Your dealer mechanics are freaking idiots. On a side note, I too think this should be under warranty.
What's your suggestion? If they say it's maintenance, how do I refute that?

Quick Reply: Dealer recommends injector cleaning after 35k