Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash camera- full review mirror or hidden discrete type? Need hard wired option.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Dash camera- full review mirror or hidden discrete type? Need hard wired option.

Thinking about getting one and I could use a little advice on which type people like and why.

Here is an interesting lookin option with 2 cameras and a hard drive that is hidden away. This would be my preference
Amazon Amazon

but it might just be a lot easier to go with this style except for find 12v power for it easily. (Not even sure this is able to be hard wired but I am sure I could find one or use an adapter).
https://www.amazon.com/recorder-Vehicles-Rearview-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B07319DD44/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534596173&sr=1-19&keywords=rearview+mirror+dash+cam https://www.amazon.com/recorder-Vehicles-Rearview-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B07319DD44/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534596173&sr=1-19&keywords=rearview+mirror+dash+cam

thoughts?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I went with
Blueskysea B1W. Blueskysea B1W.

It was my first foray into dash cam's so I didn't want to spend a ton and I wanted something discrete, I also realized a 'screen' was pretty much useless/dangerous except when stopped. With the B1W I can connect and download anything I need to.....I bought a hard wire kit from a 3rd party and everything works pretty flawless....

I found a lot of good info at DashCam Talk with a pretty good forum....
Old 08-19-2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by MongoNash
Here's what I went with Blueskysea B1W.

It was my first foray into dash cam's so I didn't want to spend a ton and I wanted something discrete, I also realized a 'screen' was pretty much useless/dangerous except when stopped. With the B1W I can connect and download anything I need to.....I bought a hard wire kit from a 3rd party and everything works pretty flawless....

Yes screen is useless. I really dont want to see any part of the install. Video should be accessible via WiFi later as it is with this unit.

This does look (after reading reviews) good. Did you test the G sensor? Just curious what it really takes to make it start.

Also, were you able to hard wire any other way than just having a cord stretched across your dash?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The b1w mentioned before and the viofo a119 models are good for hot climates.i bought the a119 and ran the wires behind the headliner and down the passenger pillar to the fuse box in the passenger footwell. Super easy to do and it takes 30 mins max to install for hard wire. I bought a dual USB adapter and left it in the bottom corner of the passenger pillar near the speaker in case I wanted to add another later.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bigronrev
The b1w mentioned before and the viofo a119 models are good for hot climates.i bought the a119 and ran the wires behind the headliner and down the passenger pillar to the fuse box in the passenger footwell. Super easy to do and it takes 30 mins max to install for hard wire. I bought a dual USB adapter and left it in the bottom corner of the passenger pillar near the speaker in case I wanted to add another later.
Where did you source the power? Fuse or cig lighter?

Also wondering if there is an indicator light on the B1W that tells you it’s on and recording? Heard of people driving around not knowing the camera isn’t working...
Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MongoNash
Here's what I went with Blueskysea B1W.

This looks pretty good for the price. I might give it a shot, instead of spending crazy money on the ones I had been looking at.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

This is the one I have purchased for my 2018 platty that is on order.
Amazon Amazon

I have the A119 on my 2016 Lariat now. It works fine.

The A129 is supposed to have some special install kit yet to be released, which is disappointing as waiting for it could be awhile. Wanting to hardwire it so that I can use the parkng function.

Also waiting for someone to post a video on installing this on a F150. What fuse to use so it is always hot and running that thick cable for the rear camera.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by remltr
This is the one I have purchased for my 2018 platty that is on order. https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-2-Chann...=A8IQBBGLCSUJ7

I have the A119 on my 2016 Lariat now. It works fine.

The A129 is supposed to have some special install kit yet to be released, which is disappointing as waiting for it could be awhile. Wanting to hardwire it so that I can use the parkng function.

Also waiting for someone to post a video on installing this on a F150. What fuse to use so it is always hot and running that thick cable for the rear camera.

I have looked at them all and the thing that strikes me is that the front portion of these is so big. I want to install one in reverse but haven’t read enough about them to know if that can be done (front portion on the rear glass and rear smaller cam on the windshield). I also dont have the factory subwoofer so thought maybe I would find switched (with the ignition) power there.

If not I would buy 2 of the B1W units, one for the front and one for the rear glass.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This video will help with where to get power from

i hardwired to the fuse box to dual 3.1 usb. The video walks you through the install. Also, the a119 is very small and the only part that can be seen from outside is the camera lense.
The following users liked this post:
Scott2373 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigronrev
This video will help with where to get power from https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQSDGPHRnok

i hardwired to the fuse box to dual 3.1 usb. The video walks you through the install. Also, the a119 is very small and the only part that can be seen from outside is the camera lense.
I watched the video, very helpful.
What do mean by "i hardwired to the fuse box to dual 3.1 usb."? Do you mean that you have usb connector hardwired to the fuse box? It would have to be 5v correct?

Quick Reply: Dash camera- full review mirror or hidden discrete type? Need hard wired option.