Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Cooling Seats - Are Your Seat Backs Working Properly?
Yes, I've got a good amount of cool air coming from both the back and bottom of the seat
15.17%
No, I've got just a hair of cold air coming from the seat back
26.16%
No, I've got no cool air coming from the seat back
55.13%
No cool air from seat back...waiting for updated parts from dealership
3.54%
Voters: 1384. You may not vote on this poll

Cooling Seats issue and TSB feedback

 
Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 PM
  #1111  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the same issues on my 2015 lariat. Hope to hear from ford soo on

Last edited by Bjy_21; 08-04-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Bjy_21 is offline  
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM
  #1112  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,138
Liked 798 Times in 355 Posts
Default Cooling Seats - Are Your Seat Backs Working Properly?

Originally Posted by statikuz
I thought we had established they have done just that - there was a post earlier where someone said their sales manager had talked to an engineer that had acknowledged the problem and said there was development on a fix.
Nothing official and the only way for dealers to find out anything is to force through several layers of crap stories from FORD. Most of the people that have gotten any type of "engineering knows" story are educated through this thread and force the hand of their service people. The common Joe that isn't a forum junky will walk away from the service counter saying "dang that's dumb that the butt only cools" or "really it is how it was designed?"

What happens if my factory cooled (heated cough cough) seats run all day, in the sun, and build up temperature. At what point is it dangerous temperature? I am more than happy to run it and watch with a temp gun until it hits 130, 140, 150... It is only a matter of how long these TEDs are operating continuously before they get that hot.

I didn't ace thermodynamics but I do know that there is no where near enough fresh air coming into the sealed seat cavity to keep temps down in a safe limit. I ran my stock seats in ambient air of 70F tonight and was reading around 110 by the magazine pouch within 10-15 minutes. Someone please explain to me how that is as designed and acceptable. If I kept that running what would the temperature gain curve look like? How long before I could claim a burn or damaged leather seats?

So as a reference here is a link to temperatures and how much exposure before a burn.skin burns when exposed to high temps
SeatGuru is offline  
The following 5 users liked this post by SeatGuru:
AZPlatinumEB (08-05-2015), cehlert (08-06-2015), gmoney23 (08-05-2015), kendive (08-04-2015), Waynelittle1 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 AM
  #1113  
Senior Member
 
srg963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,693
Liked 335 Times in 238 Posts
Default

The first thing I asked Ford to do, using this https://corporate.ford.com/contact-us.html was to let their customers know they were working on solving this issue.

I guess my submission fell on deaf ears?

Great customer service FORD!

Way to communicate to your customers!

BRAV F'N O!
srg963 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM
  #1114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,101
Liked 155 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by twakefield View Post
Nothing official and the only way for dealers to find out anything is to force through several layers of crap stories from FORD. Most of the people that have gotten any type of "engineering knows" story are educated through this thread and force the hand of their service people. The common Joe that isn't a forum junky will walk away from the service counter saying "dang that's dumb that the butt only cools" or "really it is how it was designed?"

What happens if my factory cooled (heated cough cough) seats run all day, in the sun, and build up temperature. At what point is it dangerous temperature? I am more than happy to run it and watch with a temp gun until it hits 130, 140, 150... It is only a matter of how long these TEDs are operating continuously before they get that hot.

I didn't ace thermodynamics but I do know that there is no where near enough fresh air coming into the sealed seat cavity to keep temps down in a safe limit. I ran my stock seats in ambient air of 70F tonight and was reading around 110 by the magazine pouch within 10-15 minutes. Someone please explain to me how that is as designed and acceptable. If I kept that running what would the temperature gain curve look like? How long before I could claim a burn or damaged leather seats?

So as a reference here is a link to temperatures and how much exposure before a burn.skin burns when exposed to high temps
Yeah didn't know the temperature that things got dangerous or if my truck reaches this range... But after my son said, "Ouch! Dad, your seat hurt my foot!" I have not turned it back on. My son is very good about not kicking the seat or putting his feet there, so it couldn't have been very long.

It's bad that Ford put out a product like this, but unacceptable if they haven't officially admitted a problem. My dealer says they have, but we shall see, since they ordered a part that has very little chance of fixing the problem.
jcb206 is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:41 AM
  #1115  
Senior Member
 
srg963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,693
Liked 335 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jcb206 View Post
Yeah didn't know the temperature that things got dangerous or if my truck reaches this range... But after my son said, "Ouch! Dad, your seat hurt my foot!" I have not turned it back on. My son is very good about not kicking the seat or putting his feet there, so it couldn't have been very long.

It's bad that Ford put out a product like this, but unacceptable if they haven't officially admitted a problem. My dealer says they have, but we shall see, since they ordered a part that has very little chance of fixing the problem.

I don't have kids, but if I were you, I'd file a complaint here https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
srg963 is offline  
The following users liked this post: srg963
kendive (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 AM
  #1116  
Senior Member
 
kendive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,726
Liked 249 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by srg963 View Post
I don't have kids, but if I were you, I'd file a complaint here https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Kids or not we should all filing a complaint to the link above. I plan too...
kendive is offline  
The following users liked this post: kendive
Texrep (08-07-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
  #1117  
2015 Plat Delivered 7/22
 
AZPlatinumEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prescott Arizona
Posts: 984
Liked 469 Times in 213 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by twakefield View Post
Nothing official and the only way for dealers to find out anything is to force through several layers of crap stories from FORD. Most of the people that have gotten any type of "engineering knows" story are educated through this thread and force the hand of their service people. The common Joe that isn't a forum junky will walk away from the service counter saying "dang that's dumb that the butt only cools" or "really it is how it was designed?"

What happens if my factory cooled (heated cough cough) seats run all day, in the sun, and build up temperature. At what point is it dangerous temperature? I am more than happy to run it and watch with a temp gun until it hits 130, 140, 150... It is only a matter of how long these TEDs are operating continuously before they get that hot.

I didn't ace thermodynamics but I do know that there is no where near enough fresh air coming into the sealed seat cavity to keep temps down in a safe limit. I ran my stock seats in ambient air of 70F tonight and was reading around 110 by the magazine pouch within 10-15 minutes. Someone please explain to me how that is as designed and acceptable. If I kept that running what would the temperature gain curve look like? How long before I could claim a burn or damaged leather seats?

So as a reference here is a link to temperatures and how much exposure before a burn.skin burns when exposed to high temps

You are right on the mark, as always Tim. When I called the 800 Customer support hotline, the agent I spoke with took the information to have the RCSM call me and I got a case #...speaking with her she indicated that "Yes, this is a known issue and engineering is working on a solution" Interestingly enough, she also said the same about the ACC issue when asked....but I did not file a case since I chose not to order that option. When the RCSM called, he DENIED that engineering was working on a fix and questioned that the agent really told me that......"Don't believe your lying ears!!!"


I HATE lawyers and litigation, but sometimes I guess it is the only way to get a manufacturer to address an issue. You notice the dead silence from Ford Support Team on this link.....no reassurance that it is being worked on nor that changes are being made on the line for final 2015s and 2016s.....WHY is that Ford!? What a wonderful product to have such a lackluster support team at Ford!!


Three aspects need to be fully revisited IMHO......input ducting, output ducting AND the size/capacity of the TED..... looking back longingly at my wonderful 2013 cooled seats......

Last edited by AZPlatinumEB; 08-05-2015 at 10:26 AM.
AZPlatinumEB is offline  
The following users liked this post: AZPlatinumEB
Gbold3 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:16 AM
  #1118  
Senior Member
 
srg963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,693
Liked 335 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kendive View Post
Kids or not we should all filing a complaint to the link above. I plan too...
I think we've waited long enough, and with no comments from Ford, I guess we all should file a complaint.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Here's what I wrote, feel free to copy and paste.

Front seat back cooling system (TED) is malfunctioning. When seat cooling is selected, after 30 minuets, the back of the front seats reach extreme temperatures, resulting in burning everyone that touches the back of the front seats. I've measure the temperatures, at the top of the map pocket, at over 115 degrees, when ambient temperatures were at 75 degrees. When ambient temperatures rise above 90 degrees, the front seat back temperature can reach up to 150 degrees or more! Please reference F150 owners comments and thermal pictures proving this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed ASAP, at the web address: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/cooli...operly-304154/

Last edited by srg963; 08-05-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Changed adress to point to first post
srg963 is offline  
The following 5 users liked this post by srg963:
AZPlatinumEB (08-05-2015), gmoney23 (08-05-2015), kendive (08-05-2015), Texrep (08-05-2015), Waynelittle1 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 AM
  #1119  
Senior Member
 
kendive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,726
Liked 249 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Done...

Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10746360.
kendive is offline  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM
  #1120  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 112
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Default

done , thanks
dstrat1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling Seats issue and TSB feedback


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: