Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming from a Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from a Ram 1500

Hello all.

I wanted to ask everyones opinion based on experience if I should get a 2017 now or wait for the 2018s.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport now that is a great truck that has never given me a problem. I want to get a ecoboost platinum or raptor f150 fully loaded but keep seeing issues with rattles, the moonroof, and I hear the speakers aren't that great. Considering I lemon lawed a 2016 Mustang GT due to vibrations and rattles everywhere I am pretty hesitant at getting back into a Ford. I really want to though as I think the F150 has the best overall package when it comes to trucks.

1. Coming from the Ram, do you think the Sony sound system will be a big let down from the Alpine system in the Ram?

2. What are the odds I will have to deal with a bad moonroof and other rattles in the truck? 10, 50, 90%? I can't stand rattles and its one of the reasons I stopped driving my mustang until Ford lemon lawed it.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

As for the speakers, if really unhappy with them, upgrading (in the grand scheme) to a system that will far surpass the sony and the alpine in the ram, is not all that much money.

Consider the sheer volume of these trucks sold versus the relatively few folks who get online and have complaints; has to be a similar statistic in the Ram, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota community as well.

And if you get a Raptor....I mean...what else compares with the Raptor? 10sp, 450hp 510ft-lbs, and just an sweet looking truck! (power wagon comparisons don't really work since both are intended for different uses, power wagon has its own merits).
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts

I just ordered my 2018 Lariat. You can probably grab a 2017 with a good discount right now as they are trying to clear them out. I have no experience with the Sony sound system, but I've heard it's not all that hot. The 2018 has a Bang & Olufsen in it, so I'm looking forward to hearing that. The main reasons I ordered a 2018 was because I couldn't find a 2017 configured exactly how I wanted and Ford was no longer accepting orders on the 2017 model. I'm stepping up from an 08 Ranger, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Another person like me that goes absolutely bat ***** crazy with rattles and squeaks. I had the same problem with my Audi, they pulled out the sun roof 3 times to get it right. So when it came time to buy a F150, I made sure to buy one without a sunroof. I would rather not have it, than to deal with rattles.

As far as speakers, pretty much all factory audio setups are mediocre at best. Don't pay for the upgraded audio, but rather upgrade it yourself. The XLT i just purchased already has the Sync 3 (8" screen with Nav), but I have already ordered some speakers, an amp, a powered sub and a few other parts to start the sound system extreme makeover. Overall, I will be investing about $400 in speakers, $200 in an amp, $200 for a sound processor and $450 for a powered amp. All JL Audio bits. Add a wiring harness, amp install kit, RCA's, sound deadning etc, for another $250 and we are talking ~$1600 for a killer sound system, much better than any factory system. Yes, I will be doing the labor myself, not sure how much a shop would add to the cost.

Welcome to the family.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts

I cant say you will or wont have an issue with rattles or moonroof issues. but in 31k miles my xlt has had neither issues.I would say in the low 1-2% at most for those issues though. every car/truck is different. also depends on the roads you drive on and the way you drive/treat your vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

My buddy is waiting for the 2018 because he is unsure if he wants the diesel option. Plus I hear there are some improvements to the engines for 2018 not in the 2017. Have to google search all details.

1. Yes Alpine in the Ram sounds better. Not sure if the 2018 have anything better to offer??

2. Limited, don't let a forum that always brings out more bad than good detract you. I know 4 people with them and no issues. Me since I like to go off road, I'm just not a fan since I think about the beating my truck takes off road. I know the frame will take almost all but just that little guy in my head that also tells me by a coupe not the convertible when it comes to sports cars. lol
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

The fake Alpine system in the Ram is no better than the fake Sony in the Ford, or vice versa. I've owned 2 Rams with the fake Alpine junk.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 290 Likes on 169 Posts

Not so sure the B&O will be any better. I have a feeling it's just a marketing thing for Ford to be able to slap a B&O label on their truck. We'll see in a few months.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

My favorite factory system I've ever heard was the Boston Acoustics system in my Jeep Commander. Even so, I upgraded the speakers and added a sub and it sounded fantastic imo. Going from that to the Sony was a little disappointing, but the Sony system catches way more flak than it deserves. I can't say I listened to the Alpine system when I was shopping, but the Ford system definitely sounded better to my ear than GMs Bose system. I'm planning a speaker upgrade for my Sony but honestly it's not too bad.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 985 Likes on 665 Posts

What are the odds I will have to deal with a bad moonroof and other rattles in the truck? 10, 50, 90%? I can't stand rattles and its one of the reasons I stopped driving my mustang until Ford lemon lawed it.

Well, I`ve had many Mustangs & several F-150`s & while certainly not perfect, they were/are no worse than any mass produced vehicle. If believe every internet complaint about these trucks, then if/when you buy one, you are going to be "on edge" every time you get behind the wheel listening for that first squeak or rattle. Not conducive to a pleasant ownership experience.

Go to a dealer/s & test drive several of the model you are looking at. Also see if a dealer will let you take one home for the night/weekend. That way, at least you can get an idea of what you can expect.