Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

column shift lever loose, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question column shift lever loose, need help

2016 F150 Super cab with V8 50K miles
If I want to go from park to reverse I have to move lever down to neutral then up to reverse to get it to go into gear.
Position of shift lever seems out of sync with transmission position.
Is there a way to adjust the shift lever?
Searching YouTube I see earlier F150's had a problem with 2 torx bit fasteners loosening up on the columns which cause the bracket which attaches the shift cable to loosen up resulting in a lot of play in the shift mechanism. Does anyone know if this model has similar fasteners in the column or under the dash?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:22 AM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

The shift indicator is electronic, but where the shift cable connects to, there should be 2 torx screws holding that on, take one out, one at a time, put blue loctite, reinstall and tighten.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally fixed it so I want to post the solution

There is a snap together plastic retainer where the shift cable attached to the transmission. The snap opened up. I snapped it shut and put zip ties on it to make sure it does not open again.

The attachment of the shift mechanism in the column to the transmission cable was completely different that the earlier models which had the two torx screws. Was easy to get into this area by pulling on the top of the knee panel under the steering wheel to disengage the snaps which hold it in place. There is a plastic hinge on the bottom to allow it to swing down- do not pull on the bottom.
Then you can unscrew the 3 screws which hold the two halves of the shroud together which go over the steering column and remove them.

Quick Reply: column shift lever loose, need help