Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coldweather TSB parts Backordered till MarcH!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coldweather TSB parts Backordered till MarcH!

So I live in MN, my bad. My 2016 Lariat froze up 2 weeks ago when it was -20. Door wouldn't latch and washer sprayer froze. Found the 2 TSB's (0082 & 0155), notified my dealer, told them what the TSB fixes were. 2 weeks later, today, I drop it off. 8 hours later I get a call that its done. Pick it up and NOTHING was done, they told me the TSB parts are backordered until MARCH! I'm going on a trip next week and its supposed to be below zero again. I don't want to take my 60K truck.

I'm really pi$$ed! Any suggestions? (besides moving to AZ)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

It only gets into the teens where I live but the locks have frozen up on three occasions. What has worked for me is to remote start it with the heater set to defrost and feet (leave the center vents off) and blower on high. After a few minutes, the locks are not frozen and works like normal. This method may not work as well at -20 though.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I completely understand, I'm in the same boat. I can live with the door for awhile as long as the key still works and it closes but the wiper spray not working i don't care for as that can cause issue while driving.

There is a thread around here that shows a fix for the frozen sprayer if you wanted to do something yourself and not wait for the dealer.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/cold-...366471/index2/
Old 12-28-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Two solutions to wiper sprayer. Temporary or in a pinch, pour hot water on the nozzles and where the lines run below the windshield, will free up instantly. Permanent, remove the check valve on the washer fluid supply line and drill it out, replace.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dropped mine off for same thing(windshield washers) and got the same response. Said that's fine, but you need to do something so I can drive my truck. Told them to drill out the check valve like in the link above. Haven't had an issue since. I will still replace with proper parts when they come in but works for now.

Last edited by ~07lariat~; 12-29-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:44 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Lord have mercy I feel sorry for you guys up North. Sounds like parts may not arrive until the Spring when the weather warms up.

Glad I was one of the very first to get this done when parts were somewhat readily available.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Not to be a pansy, but the windshield thing is an actual safety issue. I can't remember all the times I've been highway driving and getting hit non-stop with salt,slush and mud. Without being able to clean the windshields you are liable to have a hard time and possibly crash. Surprised they aren't getting their **** together on that, can't be hard to make the parts.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

If I understand your post correctly, you made an appointment for two TSBs and they made the appointment and had you go in even though there were no parts?

As noted you can fix your own wipers as long as you can handle being in the cold for 20 minutes. I'd complain to the service manager about wasting your time with no parts on hand. I'd start with a resolution in mind, like a free oil change.

It's been noted that the washers are a safety issue, but at least you can take matters into your own hands and inflict a fix so you can drive safely. Even if you have to take a you tube video to an independent shop and pay them to so it inside in a warm space it is over. But how are you going to drive with a door that won't latch? That is very dangerous IMHO. I suppose the driver can always make the call to leave it sit, vs the washers that surprise you while you are in motion. If it happens again, I'd request that they tow it, then I'd request a rental. I'm sure they will laugh in your face, but they aren't taking this very seriously.

Personally, I can't believe that these things aren't real recalls. In this age, not being able to see or latch a door is considered a serious safety defect. The TSBs all but admit there is a problem anyway. File a NHTSA complaint, the crash data for that defect likely isn't accurate since it is pretty hard to figure that one out in a investigation.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 AM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S.
So I live in MN, my bad. My 2016 Lariat froze up 2 weeks ago when it was -20. Door wouldn't latch and washer sprayer froze. Found the 2 TSB's (0082 & 0155), notified my dealer, told them what the TSB fixes were. 2 weeks later, today, I drop it off. 8 hours later I get a call that its done. Pick it up and NOTHING was done, they told me the TSB parts are backordered until MARCH! I'm going on a trip next week and its supposed to be below zero again. I don't want to take my 60K truck.

I'm really pi$$ed! Any suggestions? (besides moving to AZ)

Thanks,
Mark
MN also. That's lame on the dealers part to waste your time dropping the truck off when the parts aren't in to fix it......

My drivers side rear door freezes. I took it in last winter for the first tsb. Thought it was cured. The last cold snap we had, it froze again at work.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

I must be one of the lucky ones because my 2016 has yet to have the door lock problem.

It's been raining in the day and freezing overnight here for the last 5 days. I've been making a point of going out first thing every morning and trying all 4 doors. I've been half expecting them to freeze up at least once, but works everytime